User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2006, 11:09 PM   #1
Nobiman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Milky coolant everywhere!!!

Ok, for some reason the LC4 is starting to puke antifreeze every time I ride it lately, and for some reason its a milky white color. Usually its just a few drops, but today it got substantially worse.

I broused through the LC4 Index looking for a hint of why this might be happening and nada.

I recently did Creeps valve cover re-seal (it went without a hitch, thanks Creep) and decided to change the coolant while she was tore down. This is the first time that I noticed the milky color of the coolant, and it had some thin jello like coagulations (?) in it also. Up to that point, it never spewed out though. I filled and flushed repeatedly until I got all of that stuff out of the system, then re-filled and went on. In the Index, I did see where a silicate free coolant is required for these bikes and I uesd the pre-mixed Prestone 5/150 back when I refilled the system. I just went out and looked at the container and it does not say silicate free, so is that part of the problem? That would make me feel better but the fact is, the milky color was there before I changed the coolant. So far, I have not seen the temp light come on either, seems like that thick milky shit would keep coolant from circulating and cause overheating problems to me.

What'cha think?

Randy.
'06 VTX 1800 C (at least the flames are orange)

Nobiman screwed with this post 07-30-2006 at 02:12 PM
Nobiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 11:27 PM   #2
rjf
SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer: 4,359
The milky stuff is probably oil mixed in with it.

All sorts of stuff could be causing it, like blown head gasket, etc.

But there have been a fair few LC4 owners post here with similar issues to yours, and most if not all, have been water pump related. I haven't had any issues like this so cannot tell you how to sort it out. there's this thread in the index http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132369

Hmm... Most times I've seen this, not in my LC4 thankfully, its been a bit of coolant in the engine oil, not a little oil in the coolant. could be some thing different to the water pump.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadslide, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming- WOW-WHAT A RIDE!
rjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 11:32 PM   #3
Nobiman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

A pic of the mess its making. I've quit riding it now 'til I get it figured out.
Attached Images

Nobiman screwed with this post 07-29-2006 at 11:37 PM
Old 07-29-2006, 11:42 PM   #4
rjf
SBS's #1 fan in January

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobiman
A pic of the mess its making.

Faaaaaaarrrrrrrrkkkkkk.

I'd check the engine oil is at the same level and not polluted. (the oils the engines life blood, the coolant isn't vital in comparison, so, long as you don't overheat it)

then drain all that milky stuff out.

If the oils fine, id flush the cooling system and refill with a different type of coolant.

If the oil isn't fine, don't start it, the oil will need to be replaced, but there's no point doing that till you fix the problem.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadslide, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming- WOW-WHAT A RIDE!
Old 07-30-2006, 12:01 AM   #5
Nobiman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The oil and oil level is fine, the thread you found for me must have slipped by me when I was looking through the Index. It mentioned milky oil, which is not my problem. Im not liking what I think it might be after reading that thread though. Oil in the coolant? (blown head gasket?) It does not feel slippery though, maybe there's not enough in it to make it feel slippery. Either way something is bad wrong. Going to bed, I'll check here again in the morning.

Randy.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:40 AM   #6
Taki
Waiting for Godot

Oddometer: 971
Milkman mad at you?

"I just went out and looked at the container and it does not say silicate free, so is that part of the problem?"
Seriously, I would replace and flush the cooling system. Is it possible the the prior owner made the same mistake with silicate coolant? If the problem continues after flushing the system check the head gasket.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:19 AM   #7
Nobiman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Taki, there is no prior owner. I bought it new. I'll be out on a quest today to try and find the right coolant. Somehow, I doubt I'll be lucky enough for the problem to be that simple. Anyone with a more definate prognosis?

Randy.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:58 AM   #8
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,008
everying I ever learned about engines say's the same as previous post, check coolant for oil & check oil for coolant, that would be a head gasket issue,or at worst a cracked block, but since you say oil & oil level are good, I think the cost $$ factor just dropped a bit, good luck

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 07:20 AM   #9
rjf
SBS's #1 fan in January

The easiest way to check for a head gasket failure is to start the bike up with the radiator cap off. If it starts to get bubles in it you probably have a failed head gasket. Its not a definuitive check but a good indicator.

I've never heard of pre-mixed Prestone 5/150 , We probably don't get it here. It's posible fully flushing the cooling system will resolve the problem. I doubt it though as it must be reacting with some thing to go milk like that, either the engines oil or exhaust gasses / fuel mixture.

As you said the engine oil level and condition is ok, Id guess a slight head gasket failure (a failures a failure realy though) that is letting exhaust gasses and mixture into the water jacket every time the piston goes up the cylinder.

But lets wait for someone thats had a water pump failure comment first
Old 07-30-2006, 09:04 AM   #10
Nobiman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok RJF, I'll try the test. Then I'm out'a here to go find the right coolant, I'll need it no matter what the root cause of my problem is.

Thanks, Randy.

Oh, FYI, here is the coolant in use now. It doesnt say silicate free anywhere on the container. FWIW.
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2006, 02:27 PM   #11
Nobiman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

No luck as figured finding the right coolant on a Sunday at auto parts stores. I did do the test that RJF suggested and she is definatly blowing bubbles. It took about 2-3 minutes of idling before the first one showed up, the pic was taken after 4-5 minutes. Damn it! We were going to leave for Colorado on the 4th with me on my 640 and the wife on her 400. Looks like I'll be bumping her off of the 400 and onto her KLX 250S, and we'll both be losing a few ponies in the process.

Im gonna drain/flush the old stuff with straight distilled water and see if/how much of the jelled stuff is in there again, then pick up some motorcycle friendly coolant on Monday.

Keep the comments & suggestions coming if ya have any, Thanks.

Randy.
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2006, 02:38 PM   #12
Taki
Waiting for Godot

Oddometer: 971
Head gasket is only a few hours of work...
Old 07-30-2006, 02:40 PM   #13
ysr612
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,882
tear the eng down see what gasket is leaking (head) replace and ride.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 03:31 PM   #14
Nobiman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yea, what started of as orange coolant is now this shity color. I guess its time to get a head gasket here in a hurry.

As was so nicely put by RJF............FFFFFFFFAAAAARRRRRRKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2006, 06:36 PM   #15
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,111
Did a quick search for ya on Gurgle:

http://www.prestone.com/carcare/faq.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestone FAQ
our Prestone® Extended Life 5/150 Antifreeze/Coolant is phosphate, silicate, and borate free.
So you should be silicate-free. Perhaps that page has some other info for your problem.

Since you just did the valve cover reseal, which could be involved with this, that is a good place to start... after you entertain everything else that is less labor intensive.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote