ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2006, 01:58 PM   #1
rokklym OP
one man wolfpack

Oddometer: 4,439
Wisconsin Death Trip 2006

The Jackson & Clark county July 2006 DS ride:

Nobody died... Actually there were only a few crashes, but nothing serious. This ride is called
"Wisconsin Death Trip" in reference to the Static X song and the book by the same name which chronicles the secret history of life in Black River Falls, Wisconsin, circa the late-1800s and early-1900s. For whatever reason, the seemingly cozy hamlet of Black River Falls—its population largely comprised of Germans and Scandinavians—became a haven for the mentally ill, teenage random murderers, lovesick suicides, baby killers, a brick throwing, coke-snorting anarchist, and a host of other bizarre and aberrant behavior that ultimately said more about the populace than any sentimentalized portrait of earnest, God-fearing country people ever could.

This ride takes place in the same area that the book talks about, so thats how the ride got its name.

The book is basicly a collection of photos and related newspaper clippings that document the strange happenings in this area and show that the "Good old days" may not have been that good at all.

Our ride was the result of a few PM's thrown around last winter between two strangers on this forum, rokklym and KTM300. Shawn ( KTM300 ) had a place for us to stay so we decided to get together in July and ride Clark county together. We finally met at the Enduraid Rally and Shawn talked to DruiD and I think he was thinking about throwing something together also, so the stars aligned and everything fell together. Jay ( DruiD ) said we could base out of his cabin and even ride some of his land too, this was shaping up nicely! We met up a few times for some pre-riding and got a route figured out and actually got our only death, a BMW!

Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions

rokklym screwed with this post 07-30-2006 at 02:42 PM
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 02:20 PM   #2
rokklym OP
one man wolfpack

We all met at Jays cabin Saturday morning for the ride. A bunch came up Friday and rode and a few met up later in the day.

A few of the bikes. We had a total of 16 bikes start the ride Saturday AM, not a bad little group!

Jay was having a blast tearing around on the Elsinore

Jay giving his speach before the ride. This IS NOT a race and if is was you can only win if you finish, so make it back safe. Good advice!!

Bills sweet lowered 640 ADV

The other Bill on his Beemer before we hit the sand.

We started out on some sandy singletrack and then hit the Jackson county ATV trails which are quite sandy!

Jay was leading, Shawn was sweeping, and I was trying to play photographer. Heres Shawn and Greg cleaning up.
Lone Wolf Expeditions

rokklym screwed with this post 07-30-2006 at 09:43 PM
Old 07-30-2006, 02:29 PM   #3
rokklym OP
one man wolfpack

Our first real stop, waiting for the rest to catch up.

This little Honda XR250 tore off its valve stem so we tore into it and replaced the tube.

A few miles down the trail I noticed what looked like a BMW divot

Twin Headlight Ernie cruising the ATV trails
Lone Wolf Expeditions
Old 07-30-2006, 02:43 PM   #4
MNwilly
RIP, my friend...

Oddometer: 1,810
Old 07-30-2006, 02:43 PM   #5
rokklym OP
one man wolfpack

More in a bit
Lone Wolf Expeditions
Old 07-30-2006, 02:49 PM   #6
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,898
Must not have been hot, because most of you are wearing big heavy jackets.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 02:53 PM   #7
Jack_
Addict

Oddometer: 300
Thumb

What a GREAT time!!! What a great group to ride with! I had a blast!

A huge thanks goes out to all the organizers and helpers, from advice, to food, to lodging. Thanks everyone!!!

This was my first time riding the trails with a dual sport and I'm so glad I rode with this group. If I would have tried it myself, I'm sure I would have crashed my brains out and probably gave up 1/2 hour into the trail. But with a few helpful hints I went from being intimidated leaving the driveway to feeling pretty good on the trails. Thanks!!!

Thanks again for the invite and the camrauderie! I snuck out early this morning and got a loop in on the Crawford Hills trails before it started pouring. Holy cow those trails are tight. But still, had a good time.

Hope to see you out there again!!!
Jack
Blue DRZ400
Jack_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 02:56 PM   #8
rokklym OP
one man wolfpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_
What a GREAT time!!! What a great group to ride with! I had a blast!

A huge thanks goes out to all the organizers and helpers, from advice, to food, to lodging. Thanks everyone!!!

This was my first time riding the trails with a dual sport and I'm so glad I rode with this group. If I would have tried it myself, I'm sure I would have crashed my brains out and probably gave up 1/2 hour into the trail. But with a few helpful hints I went from being intimidated leaving the driveway to feeling pretty good on the trails. Thanks!!!

Thanks again for the invite and the camrauderie! I snuck out early this morning and got a loop in on the Crawford Hills trails before it started pouring. Holy cow those trails are tight. But still, had a good time.

Hope to see you out there again!!!
Jack
Blue DRZ400
Jeez Jack, You sure can ride for a noob!! Seriously, I though you had been riding that bike a while.
Lone Wolf Expeditions
Old 07-30-2006, 03:12 PM   #9
XRR-kat
Prodigal Scrambler

Oddometer: 354
Twin Headlight Ernie - Fairing?

Ernie,
Can you say make & model of your fairing ?
I'm DS'ing an XRR and considering a desert racing light setup; that fairing would work well with it.
Learned new appreciation for lighting as it got dark before ride end.
XRR-kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:35 PM   #10
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokklym
More in a bit
Did you ride the dr on this one?
katbeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:39 PM   #11
Jack_
Addict

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Jeez Jack, You sure can ride for a noob!! Seriously, I though you had been riding that bike a while.
Thanks. I picked it up last Sunday and most of the gear I had Friday before the ride. I hope to get the rest of the gear I need before the next ride.

I bought a Honda 230 last year and I did Knobby Ridge once last year and once this year. I definitely like the single track stuff. I think the mountain biking I've done in the past and the road riding I've done helped. But honestly, the riding was pretty tough and I was lucky I didn't go down.
Jack_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:53 PM   #12
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,462
Quote:
The Jackson & Clark county July 2006 DS ride:

Nobody died... Actually there were only a few crashes, but nothing serious. This ride is called
"Wisconsin Death Trip" in reference to the Static X song and the book by the same name which [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=2] chronicles the secret history of life in Black River Falls, Wisconsin, circa the late-1800s and early-1900s. For whatever reason, the seemingly cozy hamlet of Black River Falls—its population largely comprised of Germans and Scandinavians—became a haven for the mentally ill, teenage random murderers, lovesick suicides, baby killers, a brick throwing, coke-snorting anarchist, and a host of other bizarre and aberrant behavior that ultimately said more about the populace than any sentimentalized portrait of earnest, God-fearing country people ever could.

This explains alot about one of my favorite songs.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:12 PM   #13
rokklym OP
one man wolfpack

Waiting for the rest of the group.

We all rode at a good pace and everyone got their chance to turn it up a bit if they wanted, but nobody felt they needed to ride over their head to keep up. The group was always waiting at intersection to make sure nobody got lost.

Check out Shawns salute in the back!

A KLR hauling booty in the sand

Our feerless leader on KTM300's , KTM 300. His GSA was a bit under the weather so Shaun let Jay ride his sweet 2 stroke for the day.
Lone Wolf Expeditions
Old 07-30-2006, 09:21 PM   #14
rokklym OP
one man wolfpack

I'd sure like to see this lineup coming down the road!

We stopped for lunch and met up with Critic and Dirty Dave. Jay left directions at the cabing to our lunch stop just in case anyone came later in the day. After lunch we hopped on the Clark county ATV trails which are normally alot less sandy than the Jackson county trails.

Screwing around

Nate (theGovernor )

Jack cruising on his new DRZ

BMWGSBILL, Druid, and Critic trying to fix Bills Beemer

Lone Wolf Expeditions
Old 07-30-2006, 09:40 PM   #15
Gasdoctor

Oddometer: 1,442
One hell of a death trip!!

The title pretty well sums it up. We had an excellent group of folks and a great ride. I met some new friends and was able to hang out with some old friends as well.

The ride was a hoot!! When I offered to run the "broom" I thought it might be a drag.. Boy, was I wrong.. I was fortunate to have my good buddy Greg
riding sweep with me. (Greg, did you ever get all the sand out of your shorts??) I think Greg tried roosting me first however, an old mt21
doesn't quite have the roostability of a half worn Terrorflex.

Kudos to Michelle!! She put in one hell of a ride. Sand is not always the easiest thing to group ride on for a newbie!! Tell Greg to save a couple brews for the Big Woods!!

Chad, excellent job on the pics!! They look great!!

And a great big thanks to Jay for allowing us to have the event at his cabin!! It is an excellent venue for an event like this!! Jay also prepped all the rollcharts and was able to get maps for everyone and cleared the five miles of trail @ the cabin. Outstanding!!

Thanks everyone!!

Until next time,
Gasdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote