ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-30-2006, 05:53 PM   #1
DSM8 OP
Where fun goes to die....
 
DSM8's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Glendora, Ca
Oddometer: 3,566
640 ADV - Tank repair/Second cooling fan

Well after the deer strike I finally have the bike back together.

Ride report deer strike: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142835

I decided since the bike was already apart it was a good time to install a second cooling fan and a bypass switch to turn them on when I want instead of waiting for the bike to get so damn hot.

Tank was repaired and coated in Arma coat. Similar to the Rhino liner alot of people are more familiar with but has more of a 50/50 mix catalyst to hardener so it is not as rubbery like the Rhino liner. It is a harder and smoother finish.

Along the leading edge of the tank is 1/8 thick to 1/16 along the top of the tank. Also had the leading edge of the cowling coated as well.

Total cost - 120 bucks for both pieces.










Cooling Fan



Bypass switch

__________________
DSM8 - A different kind of mean
SQL > SELECT finger FROM hand WHERE id=3
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...d5LbKWMz6cHxaH
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 06:26 PM   #2
meat popsicle
Ignostic
 
meat popsicle's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Circumlocution Office of Little Dorrit
Oddometer: 14,132
Nice job - I am off to read your ride/strike report soon. Two questions: did you use wage slave's method (EXC cowling)? And give us some details on your headlight protection:



__________________
Kronreif Trunkenpolz Mattighofen LC4 640

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 07:03 PM   #3
DSM8 OP
Where fun goes to die....
 
DSM8's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Glendora, Ca
Oddometer: 3,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Nice job - I am off to read your ride/strike report soon. Two questions: did you use wage slave's method (EXC cowling)? And give us some details on your headlight protection:

I dont know about the EXC cowling your referring to.

I used the smaller of the two types of fan shrouds that are available (if that is what you meant by cowling).

The headlight protection is just bought from one of the adventure web sites. I dont recall which and is held on by the velcro. Not as good as some of the others out there but I didnt want to have a second bracket or anything to support the headlight protection like the touratech piece.

Any more questions feel free to ask.
__________________
DSM8 - A different kind of mean
SQL > SELECT finger FROM hand WHERE id=3
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...d5LbKWMz6cHxaH
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 07:25 PM   #4
meat popsicle
Ignostic
 
meat popsicle's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Circumlocution Office of Little Dorrit
Oddometer: 14,132
Did you do the same thing that wage slave did HERE?

If you have time to post details about your wiring of the second fan that would be great - no one (to my knowledge) has posted that part of the mod.
__________________
Kronreif Trunkenpolz Mattighofen LC4 640

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 07:58 PM   #5
DSM8 OP
Where fun goes to die....
 
DSM8's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Glendora, Ca
Oddometer: 3,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Did you do the same thing that wage slave did HERE?

If you have time to post details about your wiring of the second fan that would be great - no one (to my knowledge) has posted that part of the mod.
Yes that was the install that I did.

What I did was take the power plug off of the new fan and then built a pigtail so the two fans would both connect to a single plug which then goes into the factory harness.

I then used a splice into the wires going to the thermostat switch on the bottom of the radiator so I could close the circut manually.

I cant get any really good pictures of it but I have drawn out what the pigtail looks like to the best of my ability.



In essence the wires are spade connected to the pigtail above. That way each fan can be removed independently.

Think two Y's going into 1 Y like above.

If somone really wanted to be slick the you could wire up a power relay which would be switched open when the stock fan went on to power the aux fan directly from the battery but I didnt take it that far.
__________________
DSM8 - A different kind of mean
SQL > SELECT finger FROM hand WHERE id=3
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...d5LbKWMz6cHxaH

DSM8 screwed with this post 07-31-2006 at 08:47 AM
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:36 PM   #6
meat popsicle
Ignostic
 
meat popsicle's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Circumlocution Office of Little Dorrit
Oddometer: 14,132
Thank you for taking the time to post that, diagram and all.

So your switch simply closes the thermostat circuit, starting both fans. One odd question: when you have felt the need for the switch, have you ever left it on? And if so has the bike's temp gone too low? (I wouldn't guess it would, particularly when the switch is needed.)

Question about relays: I purchased a set of dual Hella Supertone horns for my bike, and they came with a relay. It was my understanding (from memory at this point) that the relay helps protect the switch and any wiring that might be overloaded when both horns draw juice over wiring spec'ed for one horn.

Back when I got them, the bike was in a local shop here for some warranty work. They are nice and I wanted to give them something extra for their great help (long story) so I had them wire in the second horn. Plus at the time I had a fear of electrical work; now I am a recovering electrophobe...

They did a nice job, but they said the relay wasn't working so they left it off and they were not concerned that it wasn't installed. Others said the relay may or may not be overkill. I am guessing that you think the relay for the dual fans might be slick, but again, not necessary. Obviously you have used yours without problems, but if you have any other comments about your choice I think they would be of use to others contemplating this mod - such as myself.
__________________
Kronreif Trunkenpolz Mattighofen LC4 640

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:54 PM   #7
DSM8 OP
Where fun goes to die....
 
DSM8's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Glendora, Ca
Oddometer: 3,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Thank you for taking the time to post that, diagram and all.

So your switch simply closes the thermostat circuit, starting both fans. One odd question: when you have felt the need for the switch, have you ever left it on? And if so has the bike's temp gone too low? (I wouldn't guess it would, particularly when the switch is needed.)

Question about relays: I purchased a set of dual Hella Supertone horns for my bike, and they came with a relay. It was my understanding (from memory at this point) that the relay helps protect the switch and any wiring that might be overloaded when both horns draw juice over wiring spec'ed for one horn.

Back when I got them, the bike was in a local shop here for some warranty work. They are nice and I wanted to give them something extra for their great help (long story) so I had them wire in the second horn. Plus at the time I had a fear of electrical work; now I am a recovering electrophobe...

They did a nice job, but they said the relay wasn't working so they left it off and they were not concerned that it wasn't installed. Others said the relay may or may not be overkill. I am guessing that you think the relay for the dual fans might be slick, but again, not necessary. Obviously you have used yours without problems, but if you have any other comments about your choice I think they would be of use to others contemplating this mod - such as myself.
The main purpose of a relay is to provide a power source for somthing that can be switched but without having the power run through the switch, thus using a much smaller switch.

Picture a line running from the batter through the relay to the device. The device will remain neutral (closed) until the relay is closed and it allows power to flow through the relay to the device.

Typically the fuse will run in line from battery to relay to device. Other side of device goes to ground.

I just installed the fans tonight. The reason I did it was because out here i ride slow speeds in the mountains and the bike runs hot. Without a coolant recovery tank I was concerned the bike would run too hot and the second fan was insurance to let the bike run cooler. The fan doesnt kick on till the bike is too hot from the factory for my tastes.

Ideally I should use a relay so as not to overload the factory wiring harness but I didnt have time to hook it up at this point.

It is never a good idea to run too many components over the factory harness for a long duration.

Horns most likely wont make that much difference since it is only short bursts but the fans will require one in the long run, that is also why I can disconect one of them if the bike blows the fuse to the fans because of overload.

An experiment in process.
__________________
DSM8 - A different kind of mean
SQL > SELECT finger FROM hand WHERE id=3
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...d5LbKWMz6cHxaH

DSM8 screwed with this post 07-31-2006 at 08:49 AM
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:18 PM   #8
meat popsicle
Ignostic
 
meat popsicle's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Circumlocution Office of Little Dorrit
Oddometer: 14,132
Great stuff - I have added this to the index under the second fan installation threads. Thank you for taking the time to discuss the wiring and look forward to the experiment's results.
__________________
Kronreif Trunkenpolz Mattighofen LC4 640

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014