User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2014, 06:25 AM   #1
TNCave OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Yet more Shinko tire questions: 241 vs 244

While at Barber, I picked up a very nice '76 XL250. The current trials universals would chip Fred Flintstone's teeth. As always, I'm on tight budget and looking for cheap shoes.

I'm looking at the Shinko SR241 and SR244. The bike will be ridden about 50/50 with some fairly technical stuff on occasion. I like to ride some logging roads out here that can get steep, wet, and muddy. Mud always seems to be the limiter for me as my TW tends to get real boat-like when it hits the mud.

I'd love to know what you all think about the performance of these two tires, especially off road.

Thanks,

Cory
TNCave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:14 AM   #2
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNCave View Post
While at Barber, I picked up a very nice '76 XL250. The current trials universals would chip Fred Flintstone's teeth. As always, I'm on tight budget and looking for cheap shoes.

I'm looking at the Shinko SR241 and SR244. The bike will be ridden about 50/50 with some fairly technical stuff on occasion. I like to ride some logging roads out here that can get steep, wet, and muddy. Mud always seems to be the limiter for me as my TW tends to get real boat-like when it hits the mud.

I'd love to know what you all think about the performance of these two tires, especially off road.

Thanks,

Cory
Neither of those is a mud tire.

Do you want something DOT-approved?

Pirelli makes a few nice DOT knobs. I make do with an IRC TR8 front. I run a 244 rear, but our mud isn't typically very hilly. You may want something with better mud/lateral capability in the rear, like a K760, D606, or MT21. Depending on what your rim sizes are, you may have even some better choices available for mud-capable DOT knobs than I do.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:42 AM   #3
Earth Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,031
I just put on 244s and I want to take the front right back off after one ride offroad. The rear is okay.
Earth Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:26 AM   #4
TNCave OP
Adventurer

I do want something DOT which can handle curves at speed OK. I don't want to give the impression that I'll be in mud all the time, but it would be nice to not dread it.
Tire sizes are 4.00x18 and 3.00x21
Old 10-14-2014, 12:19 PM   #5
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNCave View Post
I do want something DOT which can handle curves at speed OK. I don't want to give the impression that I'll be in mud all the time, but it would be nice to not dread it.
Tire sizes are 4.00x18 and 3.00x21
3.00x21 IRC TR8 front does nice on the road for me, and is adequate for mud or sand. It's also only around $52.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:17 PM   #6
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Rider View Post
I just put on 244s and I want to take the front right back off after one ride offroad. The rear is okay.
My impression as well.
The front does fine on the road IMO. And maybe even ok on gravel roads.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:22 PM   #7
Soldier311
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Rider View Post
I just put 244`s on my DR but haven't had it off-road yet. What was it about the 244 front you didn't like? To-be-sure it has to be better than the 705 that I took off of it.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:27 PM   #8
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,658
Have only had the 241 & the 255. rears. Both DOT. 241 wears great & works well everywhere. The 255 great off road but with less the 25 psi on road is the scariest tire I have ever used. 241 best buy on a trials tire out there. IMO
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:24 PM   #9
Roland44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
3.00x21 IRC TR8 front does nice on the road for me, and is adequate for mud or sand. It's also only around $52.
I can vouch for 3.00x21 IRC TR8 as well. I never had a problem with mine, great quality and good price.
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:38 PM   #10
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier311 View Post
I just put 244`s on my DR but haven't had it off-road yet. What was it about the 244 front you didn't like? To-be-sure it has to be better than the 705 that I took off of it.
The rear 244 works well for me off-pavement in all but very soft conditions. I like it on the pavement too, but it wears a little fast compared to some rear tires.

The front 244 doesn't have the best traction in slick/soft conditions, so it tends to wash out there. It seems to work very well on pavement though, and can be reversed for max mileage. The IRC TR8 front is similar on pavement, but is better in slick/soft conditions
Old 10-14-2014, 09:33 PM   #11
drm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
On my klx I've had the 244s front and rear and 241 rear and 244 front. Both work great on the street. I was able to get 4k miles out of the rear 244 with 85% street. 244 was ok in moderate mud. Have yet to have the 241 in mud but works great every where else.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:08 AM   #12
Earth Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier311 View Post
It just washes out too much. It might be okay if you don't ride anywhere wet or muddy, but even on wet grass it sucks. There is no sand around here but I would imagine it would be awful for that too.
Earth Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:03 AM   #13
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,543
No Free Lunch

I tried to cheap out with a set of Shinko e700s for my XR650L. They work OK on dry pavement and packed gravel but they're less than wonderful anywhere else. My next set of tires will be a Dunlop D606 out back and a Pirelli MT21 up front - a little more expensive but cheaper than a get-off out in the boondocks with possible injuries to bike & self.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:05 AM   #14
TNCave OP
Adventurer

I like the looks of the IRC and both front and rear are available in correct sizes for my bike. They are a quite a bit more expensive. At this point I guess I'm between the IRC and the 241.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:24 AM   #15
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

I often run a front TR8 and a rear 244 or K270. The 244 rear feels better when leaned on pavement, but the K270 rear often lasts a little bit longer.