Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2010, 08:08 PM   #15001
rockchucker22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek
I'm on my 4th one and it works very well for me (and they last even with me steering with the back end all the time). I've run a 606 out in under 1000 miles. With how much I ride not worth it.

Suspension settings or just riding style I wonder?
I think it is type of dirt, it seems good on hard pack but as soon as it gets soft it kicks out a bit, not too much but enough to make me uneasy. I think it is too heavy of a tire like the terraflex. I'm seriously taking my 908 off after 3 rides
rockchucker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:41 PM   #15002
K7MDL
TE450, TE610

Oddometer: 1,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchucker22
I think it is type of dirt, it seems good on hard pack but as soon as it gets soft it kicks out a bit, not too much but enough to make me uneasy. I think it is too heavy of a tire like the terraflex. I'm seriously taking my 908 off after 3 rides
The 908 is 5 plies, 3 plies sidewall of very hard carcass. A very heavy duty tire for our lightweight bikes. 16# air is like 28# on a Shinko 244. It does not seem to conform to obstacles easily, but the wide spaced tread blocks do seem catch on any available edges. I can glide through slimy or dry PNW dirt, roots, wet roots, and rocky trails with relative ease and still get down the highway well. Not a finesse tire.

Maybe you are a candidate for a trials tire? The D908 seems like a great choice for sharp rock garden trails and roads. I really like the rim protection also.

It is not showing much wear for the first 1000 miles eiether. I do not even bother to lower the air pressure, partly lazy, but have not needed to for me yet.
K7MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:31 AM   #15003
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,661
Quote:
Suspension settings or just riding style I wonder?

I think it's riding style, I'm an "in" traction at all times rider and didn't like the flat track riding style needed for the 908. I can ride that way, but I'm usually alone and sliding around like that is begging for a high side at some point. It did last a ton of miles, I'll give it that. The front was horrible, I've never seen such crazy wear and out of all of the other fronts I ran that was the only one to do that on the 610.

I ended up liking 120 width tires on the 610 the best.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:17 AM   #15004
spanker
bada bing, capiche?

Oddometer: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy
I think it's riding style, I'm an "in" traction at all times rider and didn't like the flat track riding style needed for the 908. I can ride that way, but I'm usually alone and sliding around like that is begging for a high side at some point. It did last a ton of miles, I'll give it that. The front was horrible, I've never seen such crazy wear and out of all of the other fronts I ran that was the only one to do that on the 610.

I ended up liking 120 width tires on the 610 the best.
After you guys stop laughing, try a DOT Kenda Washougal for the front; I have had very good luck with it and it grips like hell here in New England but squirrely on asphalt in a "fun" kind of way. I'm with you larryboy, a 140 is just unnecessary for the rear, doesn't grip as well as the 120 or 130. Wider isn't always better unless you are frequently in sand. I've had good luck with 606's but have never had a 908 ($$$).
spanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:23 AM   #15005
spanker
bada bing, capiche?

Hey Geek,

Remember this time last year? I was flying through Denver thinking about you riding in 70 deg weather and looking at the brown Rockies with no snow except above about 10k feet, jealous as hell. 3.6 deg here this am in CT, and you aren't much better.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:41 AM   #15006
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,834
mid 40's today.. 50's tomorrow through wed.

Hopefully we'll melt some of this crap off!

Out of the 4 winters I've been here we've had two "light winters" and two "heavy".
Sure beats where I grew up in Northern Ontario
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:08 AM   #15007
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 9,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanker
Wider isn't always better unless you are frequently in sand.
My experience with runnng the 140 in sand (Sandblast Rally Moto) is that it's still too much. Yeah it gives good "floatation" but at a sacrifice, especially if you need to go fast.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:55 AM   #15008
edeslaur
San Diegan

Oddometer: 445
My Pirelli MT21 in 140, and Scorpion in 140 are great on the bike. I have a 130 Michelin desert on the back now and 4 1/2-or-less-worn 110 D606s hanging from the garage rafters that I'll burn off since I can't see throwing away a tire with tread on 'em (got 'em from a friend for a few bucks each), but the 140's been fine.

Check out this tire post from our Baja trip for real-world results:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=46

Ride reports:
- 10 Mar Baja
- 08 Feb Baja
- 07 Aug West coast PDX->SAN
- More!
edeslaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:00 AM   #15009
darmahman
"Illogically Deluded"

Oddometer: 2,798
Footpeg bolts

I went to ace and bought 4 of the grade 12.9 hex head bolts for the foot pegs on the 610. Came home and read up on them. It cautioned to use them NOT in applications where they could corrode. (They are the black finish.) I would think it would take years. Any thoughts? Do I need to get plated bolts?
darmahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:03 AM   #15010
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by darmahman
I went to ace and bought 4 of the grade 12.9 hex head bolts for the foot pegs on the 610. Came home and read up on them. It cautioned to use them NOT in applications where they could corrode. (They are the black finish.) I would think it would take years. Any thoughts? Do I need to get plated bolts?
Yes you need to get plated. The black is black Oxide. Rust is Oxidation. The MFR has done most of the work already They will rust, badly in days.

In CO it might be better than say near the ocean, but they __wil__ rust.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:25 AM   #15011
JRCarp
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Eek 908s

I just installed the pair of 908's myself. Hope I don't regret after looking at some of these posts.
Anything will hopefully be better than the Sahara's I had.
They were great the first year I had them here in NE, then last year it was pretty wet most of the summer and I felt like I was on ice any time I hit anything slightly wet. Was afraid to even hit puddles!
The Sahara's were great on the road though.

Guess time will tell, can't wait to try em out!
Old 01-10-2010, 03:17 PM   #15012
spanker
bada bing, capiche?

carp,

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRCarp
I just installed the pair of 908's myself. Hope I don't regret after looking at some of these posts.
Anything will hopefully be better than the Sahara's I had.
They were great the first year I had them here in NE, then last year it was pretty wet most of the summer and I felt like I was on ice any time I hit anything slightly wet. Was afraid to even hit puddles!
The Sahara's were great on the road though.

Guess time will tell, can't wait to try em out!
Use whatever works for you, it's all personal preference. Other people's opinions are a good starting point. I have an MT-21 on the back of my scoot right now, it was all I could get in a pinch without waiting. I will say that DOT's generally last longer but aren't the very best when it comes to off-road traction in NE, you know what I'm talking about since your from next door in MA.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:06 PM   #15013
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,834
I've never tried the 908 front. The combination I prefer is 908 rear with Michelin Desert front. I prefer the front planted and the rear sideways
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:13 PM   #15014
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
I've never tried the 908 front. The combination I prefer is 908 rear with Michelin Desert front. I prefer the front planted and the rear sideways
But but but how the heck do you do that with a 908 rear??

When I rode it I had too much traction, if that's even such a thing. It just did not want to spin loose on a turn.

It also rubbed the exhaust badly,

it also wobbled like a bastard on our grooved freeways putting the bike into a tank slapper at about 70.

I do like the 908 front if'n you are gonna do dirt to Cabo or something and then you have basically a run-flat. But I really hated the combo on the 610 and I'm sure I cannot be the pickiest guy here...
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:30 PM   #15015
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,982
I tried a 908 Rally Raid front and tore the valve stem twice. Both times I thught it felt a little soft, stopped to measure and it has zero. You don't even need a ture in that thing.

I have been running 606 rear. That is what we recomend for Mex2Can. It has been the best wearing tire we have noticed. I have been getting 2-2.5k on them.