Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2010, 05:17 PM   #15031
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic
Jerry, have you had the 908 front on the highway in Socal? We have that grooved pavement that is different from EVERYWHERE else. Some tires just plain suck with it and others are fine. I may go back to a 908 front, but only if it's OK on the socal freeway.

On a side note, it's nice you can ride the 908 front flat, cuz that thing's a B*tch to change!!!!
Only had it on a couple of weeks in Carson City. Went back to 739FA.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:58 PM   #15032
elgato gordo
KTMRFS

Oddometer: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
Got to ride yesterday, man, the TE is running killer. Even at 7420ft it is easy to pull second thru third wheelies.
SniperX
Where did you ride.

Great weather, I took my 2 smoke out to Rio Rancho and did some single track. Really nice weather.

We may do a ride next weekend if your up for it. So far Socorro or North Rio Rancho are the options.
elgato gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:54 AM   #15033
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtgincnm
SniperX
Where did you ride.

Great weather, I took my 2 smoke out to Rio Rancho and did some single track. Really nice weather.

We may do a ride next weekend if your up for it. So far Socorro or North Rio Rancho are the options.
I just rode around up here on my land and around the area. I live way uup off South 14 about half way to CHilili and have a bunch of places to ride along the road or on the twisties up here on South 14. let me know if the ride is for sure, I have some stuff planned already but may be able to get out of it for a ride!
Old 01-12-2010, 09:09 AM   #15034
BIG-E
AKA; Mongo-E

Oddometer: 1,994
Hi Guy's,

I am considering a new TE-610, well a left over 2009 model. Would you all answer a couple questions for me?

#1- What is this "cush clutch" I am hearing about? I am familier with the cush hub on my 990 but not a cush clutch. Does the TE not need a cush hub??

#2- How is the after market parts availablilty? ie: rear racks, skid plates, luggage, performance parts? What about OEM parts? How is the boingers? I am 300 lb. "C+" rider. My 990 needed some serious help from Super Plush.

I have always liked Husky's, and this one may fit the bill nicely.

Lastly, I can buy this bike for $8,588.00 out the door tagged ready to roll, it that a good deal, or no??

Thanks for the help. Take care and God Bless, Eric.
BIG-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:52 AM   #15035
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,641
I am looking to buy the Baja Designs taillight assembly. At the same time I want to downsize the turn signals. Anyone use the flush mounted LED's for on road use? The BD web site states they are not DOT approve, would I be better off with the mini-stalks? I ride the bike to work once in a while in city/freeway traffic.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:06 AM   #15036
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgroom
I am looking to buy the Baja Designs taillight assembly. At the same time I want to downsize the turn signals. Anyone use the flush mounted LED's for on road use? The BD web site states they are not DOT approve, would I be better off with the mini-stalks? I ride the bike to work once in a while in city/freeway traffic.
In my opinion, I would not do flush on a enduro. They are so skinny that the flush TS are hard for drivers to see. I had them on my GSXR so i also wnet to them on the SM610 and took them off when people started to almost hit me whilst turning and finally even when I had one on a cop pulled me over for not using my turn signal while it was still on! I went back to mini stalks on the Sm and now have them on the TE and they work great and are out of the way and super light. They also keep me from getting hit too as far as I can tell.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:08 AM   #15037
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG-E
Hi Guy's,

I am considering a new TE-610, well a left over 2009 model. Would you all answer a couple questions for me?

#1- What is this "cush clutch" I am hearing about? I am familier with the cush hub on my 990 but not a cush clutch. Does the TE not need a cush hub??

#2- How is the after market parts availablilty? ie: rear racks, skid plates, luggage, performance parts? What about OEM parts? How is the boingers? I am 300 lb. "C+" rider. My 990 needed some serious help from Super Plush.

I have always liked Husky's, and this one may fit the bill nicely.

Lastly, I can buy this bike for $8,588.00 out the door tagged ready to roll, it that a good deal, or no??

Thanks for the help. Take care and God Bless, Eric.
I would bet the TE suspension would probably be fine cranked up a bit. Sounds like a ok deal to me. Parts are easy to find, and aftermarket stuff is very available except graphics. You can really get pretty much anything you need to build a super trick dual sport for the TE easily. Look at the first few pages of this thread and you'll see a members post with all the links for aftermarket stuff in it.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:14 AM   #15038
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,482
jpgroom:

Quote:
In my opinion, I would not do flush on a enduro. They are so skinny that the flush TS are hard for drivers to see. I had them on my GSXR so i also wnet to them on the SM610 and took them off when people started to almost hit me whilst turning and finally even when I had one on a cop pulled me over for not using my turn signal while it was still on! I went back to mini stalks on the Sm and now have them on the TE and they work great and are out of the way and super light. They also keep me from getting hit too as far as I can tell.
+1, get some lights that can be seen. Here's what I did with some Class 8 LED trailer marker lights, some rubber, and a solid state no load flasher. The LED's need to be pointed directly at the viewer to be visiable during the day.

86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:22 AM   #15039
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc
jpgroom:

+1, get some lights that can be seen. Here's what I did with some Class 8 LED trailer marker lights, some rubber, and a solid state no load flasher. The LED's need to be pointed directly at the viewer to be visiable during the day.

Those look great!
Old 01-12-2010, 11:25 AM   #15040
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Quote:
Those look great!
Thanks a million!

1" thick rubber mounts held on with #12 sheet metal screws. Lights held by #8 sheet metal screws. Rugged, simple, and cheap. Lights are $4.50 each at any truck stop.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
Old 01-12-2010, 11:32 AM   #15041
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc
Thanks a million!

1" thick rubber mounts held on with #12 sheet metal screws. Lights held by #8 sheet metal screws. Rugged, simple, and cheap. Lights are $4.50 each at any truck stop.
Do you have any better close up photo's of how you did that?

I've spent maybe $150 buying various $30-50 lights and they ALL SUCK (maybe I should stop crashing!! )

My tail light is going to be one solid piece of aluminium bent like so:
Code:
              \         <-plate
                \
It should cost me maybe $100 (I already have one strobe) and it will be INSANELY bright and tough and out of the way.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:16 PM   #15042
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:

I've spent maybe $150 buying various $30-50 lights and they ALL SUCK (maybe I should stop crashing!! )

Code:
              \         <-plate
                \
It should cost me maybe $100 (I already have one strobe) and it will be INSANELY bright and tough and out of the way.
Before there were tail light kits for sportbikes, I use to fab them up out of sheet aluminum. No telling how many people had me make them for them after seeing mine. Thye were like the drawing of yours, basically a bent peice of alloy with holes drilled for the taillight lens and license plate but they looked like a part off the shelf. Qurious, have you checked local laws about the strobing brake light? Here in NM, if you have a flashing red light on the bike or car, they will arrest you for impersonating an officer! WOW! What BS it is I know, but somehow I got ahold of a set of red blinkers and lput them on the 2005 MZ 125SM I had, I got pulled over the first night out and they told me if they wanted to they could arrest me for impersonation....of course I could have won in court, but it would have been expensive. PLus ther is an ordanance against blue or red flashing lights on bikes and cars....but when I asked about rear turn signals on cars they had no answer! I think the law was written excluding the word front of the vehicle.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:22 PM   #15043
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
Before there were tail light kits for sportbikes, I use to fab them up out of sheet aluminum. No telling how many people had me make them for them after seeing mine. Thye were like the drawing of yours, basically a bent peice of alloy with holes drilled for the taillight lens and license plate but they looked like a part off the shelf. Qurious, have you checked local laws about the strobing brake light? Here in NM, if you have a flashing red light on the bike or car, they will arrest you for impersonating an officer! WOW! What BS it is I know, but somehow I got ahold of a set of red blinkers and lput them on the 2005 MZ 125SM I had, I got pulled over the first night out and they told me if they wanted to they could arrest me for impersonation....of course I could have won in court, but it would have been expensive. PLus ther is an ordanance against blue or red flashing lights on bikes and cars....but when I asked about rear turn signals on cars they had no answer! I think the law was written excluding the word front of the vehicle.
In CA they are SPECIFICALLY legal, and must have a specific pattern.
Flashing Brake Lights
California Vehicle Code 25250. Flashing lights are prohibited on vehicles except as otherwise permitted.

(c) Any stoplamp or supplemental stoplamp required or permitted by Section 24603 may be equipped so as to flash not more than four times within the first four seconds after actuation by application of the brakes.

The Whelan strobes are nice because it has that CA pattern programmable. I suppose if "the Man" hassled me about it I could change the pattern to solid too.

However, that said, when it blinks a couple times and then goes solid, cars back WAY off. I think I'd risk it even if it were not legal.

Same thing with a headlight modulator. I HATE the damned things behind me, but I always frikken SEE them I've heard numerous people geting ticketed, but they are specifically legal federally, and I'm sure you could fight a ticket. I think it would be worth the occasional hassle to stay alive
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:52 PM   #15044
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
In CA they are SPECIFICALLY legal, and must have a specific pattern.
Flashing Brake Lights
California Vehicle Code 25250. Flashing lights are prohibited on vehicles except as otherwise permitted.

(c) Any stoplamp or supplemental stoplamp required or permitted by Section 24603 may be equipped so as to flash not more than four times within the first four seconds after actuation by application of the brakes.

The Whelan strobes are nice because it has that CA pattern programmable. I suppose if "the Man" hassled me about it I could change the pattern to solid too.

However, that said, when it blinks a couple times and then goes solid, cars back WAY off. I think I'd risk it even if it were not legal.

Same thing with a headlight modulator. I HATE the damned things behind me, but I always frikken SEE them I've heard numerous people geting ticketed, but they are specifically legal federally, and I'm sure you could fight a ticket. I think it would be worth the occasional hassle to stay alive
No doubt, when Ihad the front red turnsignals, and eve the blue ones I got noticed way better then a normal amber set of TS. In fact, sometimes when I flicked on the signals when they were red, people would pull over to the right and get outta my way! Which of course is why they are illegal!
Old 01-12-2010, 02:25 PM   #15045
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Quote:

OK, I will try to shoot some photos tonight. I made a plate holder, something like you are planning, as well but used stainless steel. The stainless sheet is a door bottom kick plate from Home Depot. I ran over some chicken wire and trashed the OEM set up:

Photos soon but here is details on the turn siginals:
I bought a 12" x 12" x 1" thick pc. of rubber from Graingers. Cut 2 1/4" wide strips with a radial arm saw. 2 1/4" is the width of the marker lights purchased from a Trailer Parts Supply place.
The rears are 2 1/4" square witha 45 deg. cut on the corner. Used a 3/8" router bit on the outside edges. Drilled a through hole at a angle for the wire and pilot holes for the screws. Used two #12 SS sheetmetal screws 1 1/2" long from the inside of the fender to hold them on and two #8 SS sheet metal screws 1" long to hold the light on.
For the front, I cut a model of wood to work out the angles but the fronts turned out to be a 15 deg compound angle I cut on my chop saw. Same deal as rears, router the edges and attach with #12 screws with fender washers from the back of the headlight mask. #8's to attach the lights.
Bought a solid state, no load, flasher relay and diode kit form these guys: http://www.customdynamics.com/loadeq..._Signal_Module. You need the diode to isolate the turn indicator on the dash or all the turn LED's will blink. I also hooked up a switch across both sides so I can have all blink as warning flashers.
Light weight, rugged, simple, and cheap. Photos to follow.

Well these suck, but maybe you get the idea> The pc. of rubber I have been using on fnt. fender. This stuff makes great bushings too.:

fritzcoinc screwed with this post 01-12-2010 at 08:58 PM