User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2007, 06:18 AM   #1516
Tomnrott
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thumb Just stepped up yesterday to a 07 610TE

Been lurking for a while. Ended up with the 610 after having a DR 650 for a while and always wishing I would have just gotten the Husky the first time around. Thanks for all the great posts.

Picked it up from George over @ Uptite in Santa Ana.

Heading out for my maiden journey this morning.
Tomnrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 06:56 AM   #1517
dugan13
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Winky Green Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xfool
No one that I know of has really chased down why the green light winks. That wink may also be a part of the reason why computer locks up from time to time.

Could the voltage regulator cycling cause the light to wink?
My light blinked about once a minute since it was new. A few weeks ago my battery died and since I replaced it, the light hasn't blinked.

If I could come up with some connectors, I'd try a new rectifier regulator from my Vstrom, that I have laying around to see if I can get the charge voltage down under 14 volts. Mine is 14.6 volts, which I think is too high. The Vstrom runs at 13.8 volts, just about right.

Does anybody know if Big Dog's NAPA battery lasted?
1966 X6 Hustler
dugan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 07:51 AM   #1518
cbig
Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer: 878
Congrats-

There's a few of us out here now!
You'll definitely dig it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomnrott
Been lurking for a while. Ended up with the 610 after having a DR 650 for a while and always wishing I would have just gotten the Husky the first time around. Thanks for all the great posts.

Picked it up from George over @ Uptite in Santa Ana.

Heading out for my maiden journey this morning.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:08 AM   #1519
jambie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Hey Jakester,

Thanks for the info! I found the connector and removed all the charcoal canister crap, capping the vacuum port on the manifold. I didn't remove any of the clear-tube stuff yet, just sort of hesitant to go that far before I know how the bike really runs.

Anyway, thanks Jakester, and everyone else, for the info. I'm sure I'll be back soon with another dumb newbie question or two.

I'm going riding

Cheers,
Tom
jambie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 09:27 AM   #1520
9Mile
Leaving the world of HD

Oddometer: 65
New dealer

Thought I'd let everyone know...Just found out a couple days ago that a new Husqvarna dealership was awarded to KDR Powersports in Spokane Washington. The owner is a longtrime racer with years of experience and knowledge of the product. I've been very pleased with the customer service they've offered as an independant dealer and am looking forward to having somewhere closer to turn for Husky parts and service. Thus far I've had to travel 6-7 hours for service and I'm looking forward to having a local shop. So if you've been on the fence about a new bike here's one more reason for those in the NW to turn toward Husqvarna!!!!

*No affiliation just a pleased customer.
9Mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 12:05 PM   #1521
irnbru
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motometal
it will suck in air and make it run lean, especially at idle. If you were riding in dust, it would suck in that too. Go to the auto parts store and buy a container of plugs.
Thanks motometal. Since new the bike didn't like to idle evenly, especially when cold. It's plugged now and I just put in the CR8IEX plug.braappp!!

Now I just need to find a fatter o-ring that will actually seal the oil filler cap. small weep getting past the oem o-ring.

Cheers.
irnbru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 12:17 PM   #1522
irnbru
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambie
Hey everyone,

I'm picking up my new '07 TE610 tomorrow, and the first thing I'm gonna do is replace the stock headlight bulb with....What? I know I read it here somewhere that there's a higher wattage, direct replacement bulb, but a search turned up no luck. I know, it's best to replace the whole assembly with a BD kit, but I'll have to wait on that.

Any ideas on which bulb to use?

Cheers,
Tom

p.s. Also, what bar risers fit?

For the time being I put in a 45W/45W direct replacement bulb. $3 upgrade.

I may make this my next mod though.
This may have been posted before, I found this pic of a TE610 with a Buell Ulysses headlight assy. Parts come out to around $150 to do the mod.

M1600.1ACMW - black windscreen
Y0421.1AD - headlight
M0645.1ADA - windscreen mount

You can add the headlight grill also.

Old 08-25-2007, 01:36 PM   #1523
jambie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
I LOVE this bike. I forgot how much fun a light bike is. After wrestling around the 550# Blackbird, this thing feels like feather!

Only had one issue on the first ride. After about 3 miles of highway at 60-63 mph, when I let off the gas on the offramp, the bike quit and would not restart. Remembering the mantra of fuel, air, and spark, I released the gas cap and reseated it, and the bike started right up. When I got home, I took the plug off the top fitting on the gas tank that I installed when I took the charcoal canister stuff off this morning (the one right next to the nut that holds the tank on) and reattached the hose. I'm assuming that the plug wasn't allowing the tank to vent. Anyway, hopefully that problem doesn't reoccur.

I rode up a steep dirt hill that I used to have to feather the clutch a lot on my KTM 625 SXC with the 5-speed gearbox. This bike just motored up it nice as you please in first with no clutch.

I LOVE this bike...

Cheers,
Tom

jambie screwed with this post 02-12-2009 at 09:04 PM
jambie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 08:23 PM   #1524
offroute
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnbru
For the time being I put in a 45W/45W direct replacement bulb. $3 upgrade.

I may make this my next mod though.
This may have been posted before, I found this pic of a TE610 with a Buell Ulysses headlight assy. Parts come out to around $150 to do the mod.

M1600.1ACMW - black windscreen
Y0421.1AD - headlight
M0645.1ADA - windscreen mount

You can add the headlight grill also.

That looks like a pretty cool setup, but I worry about the guillotine effect...

If we don't change direction soon, we'll end up where we're going.
offroute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 08:30 PM   #1525
BigAls
oldinidaho

Oddometer: 167
New dealer

Really good news. I live in Lewiston and bought my 610 in Boise. No more 300 mile drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Mile
Thought I'd let everyone know...Just found out a couple days ago that a new Husqvarna dealership was awarded to KDR Powersports in Spokane Washington. The owner is a longtrime racer with years of experience and knowledge of the product. I've been very pleased with the customer service they've offered as an independant dealer and am looking forward to having somewhere closer to turn for Husky parts and service. Thus far I've had to travel 6-7 hours for service and I'm looking forward to having a local shop. So if you've been on the fence about a new bike here's one more reason for those in the NW to turn toward Husqvarna!!!!

*No affiliation just a pleased customer.
BigAls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 11:02 PM   #1526
irnbru
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroute
That looks like a pretty cool setup, but I worry about the guillotine effect...

I think the windscreen is from the Ulysses, you can also use a Buell Lightning screen which doesn't have the additional clear piece so it will be quite a bit lower.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:43 AM   #1527
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by noman
i replaced my stock headlight bulb with a 100w/80 H4 - no problems whatsoever. did a lot of checking first and posted results here. try a search under my name, have only posted a dozen or so times. don't know about doing the same change on an '07 tho. i'd highly recommend the upgrade if possible - 4 bikers doa over this past summer from folks turning left.
bobp
Is the wiring Harness the same for the 00' as the 06'> because the 06' wire for the headlight is dangerously small. I would check for heat while running or better yet upgrade the wire if you are modifying the lights to more wattage. Just a cautionary note...On my Tecate the ballast would not fire so I had to install a larger wire...in the future I am going to install a fuse panel up front and use one large wire from the Battery to front to carry the load of all accessories, including lights.

Dan
buffallodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 06:11 AM   #1528
motometal
i like motorcycles

Oddometer: 3,443
I’ve had my TE610 for only a short time but thought I’d give my report so far. I do not have the jetting tweaked in yet, and the exhaust is still stock. For reference, my previous dual sport is an XRL.

Starting-easy, no problems.

Engine-very smooth. Minimal vibration when cruising. Will pull from a lower rpm without shuddering and making the chain “clack”. Snappy response. Great torque at low rpms. Otherwise, considering I’m trying not to rev or lug too much, I’ll reserve judgement for after it’s broken in, jetted and piped. So far it isn’t exactly blowing away the XR for power, but then the XR is highly modified.

Transmission-great! Very wide ratio transmission, but with 6 speed they aren’t “too” wide. I haven’t tried it in the woods yet, but can tell already the ratios will be better than the XR. The XR has a big gap between 1st and 2nd, the TE does not. 1st is plenty low and I can actually take off in 2nd pretty easily if I wanted too, but yet 6th is quite high…bike would hit 100+ mph motor permitting. The issue with finding neutral some folks have mentioned…see below under “clutch cable”.

Tires-came with Metzler Karoos, on the pavement they provide about as good of traction as you could expect from a knobby, but I haven’t tried them off road yet. 2nd gear powerslides around corners (on pavement) are just a matter of gassing it at the right time.

Brakes-very powerful and nice feel. Rear is floating rotor with a cam thingy to set the pedal position. Front Brembo MC has a lever adjustment requiring no tools.

Suspension-no real opinions yet, haven’t tried it off road. Stock they have the rear sag set for a heavy rider. No big deal at all, this should be one of the first things a rider sets on a new bike, but sadly many people never pay any attention to it. The stock setting for some of the clickers is full in or full out…pre-empting you from adjusting say, the HSC to a softer setting. Factory settings should be closer to the middle of the range. Also it appears the spring rates are on the heavy side for me, so they are probably spot on for heavier riders and/or those who carry a lot of extra fuel and baggage.

Oil drain plug-oring is too thin, seeps oil a bit.

Turn signal switch-ok, I know this is a minor detail but I think it has a very positive feel to it compared to some.

Clutch cable-I’m thinking the stocker is not great, plan on replacing with Barnett. During break in it required frequent adjustment (tightening). If you keep it as tight as possible (without making clutch slip), it will work “ok”. Keep in mind all bikes with a cable clutch have more slack when warm. I love the feel of the clutch, nice predictable engagement, just need to get a bit more travel out of the actuator with a cable or otherwise.

Handling-great! And got even better after sliding the forks up in the clamps a bit. Wants to turn, but yet isn’t twitchy.

Stock Handlebars-nice looking aluminum bars, fairly wide with not much pullback. I’m used to MX bikes and these feel fine to me.

Blinkers-the melting blinker thing is a non issue for me so far, with the stock exhaust. The blinker doesn’t even get warm…I’m not running above about 5500 for break in though. The rear blinkers have two spacers (stacked “Lego” style) stacked under them which moves them out. Is this the way the ‘06s were, or is this a “fix” to get the blinker away from the heat?

Seat-yes, it’s very firm and narrow. If you come from a motocross background, it will probably feel pretty “normal”, but it’s no gold wing seat for sure, and could be tough for long rides. Quick release is a good deal.

Kickstand-auto retract is a non issue if you have a metal cutting tool, this is fixed in about 30 seconds. But it’s 1.5”- 2” too short, bike is on the verge of tipping over even on concrete. The 2 x 4 trick is almost a must (remember the old H2s?) will have to get it extended. Unless my bike is different than most, I don’t see how they could send the bike out from the factory thinking the kickstand was the right length!

Wheels-stock Excel wheels, very nice!

motometal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 06:17 AM   #1529
motometal
i like motorcycles

Oddometer: 3,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugan13
My light blinked about once a minute since it was new. A few weeks ago my battery died and since I replaced it, the light hasn't blinked.

If I could come up with some connectors, I'd try a new rectifier regulator from my Vstrom, that I have laying around to see if I can get the charge voltage down under 14 volts. Mine is 14.6 volts, which I think is too high. The Vstrom runs at 13.8 volts, just about right.

Does anybody know if Big Dog's NAPA battery lasted?
Honda Service manual lists charging voltage for the XRL at 14.7 - 15.5...are you sure this is really a problem?
motometal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 06:41 AM   #1530
XRR-kat
Prodigal Scrambler

Oddometer: 354
Buell Ulysses Headlight and fairing

imbru,
Just what I was looking for to upgrade from Baja Designs light.
Part numbers and all.
Cool!