Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2010, 03:39 PM   #17176
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbshaffer
I have a 2008 TE610 and would like to know if there is some way to make it less “twitchy” while cursing the interstate (around 70 MPH). It just seems a bit nervous and I was wondering if a steering dampener, or some other device, would calm it down some.

Thanks
damper will mask a problem not fix it. Mine was downright scary with 908's on it. But it was the suspension setup that fixed it.

I'm at work and can't look at the brake, do I need dot 4 or 5 brake fluid?
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:52 PM   #17177
BikeSDP
Reluctantly Crouched

Oddometer: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic

I'm at work and can't look at the brake, do I need dot 4 or 5 brake fluid?
It's DOT 4 (I checked on my 610 just now)
BikeSDP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:04 PM   #17178
DeBandi
Exploring Alabama

Oddometer: 3,100
Thanks guys.

I had the screws drilled out today.

Thanks again for all the help!

DeBandi

Visit ExploringAlabama.net

State Oval Decals Available
DeBandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:10 PM   #17179
lionsroaar
I meant to do that!!

Oddometer: 149
2009 TE610 fork seal leaking...

Has anyone else with a late model 610 had a fork seal leak? Mine is a 2009 with 850 miles on it. I went on a 150 mile dual sport ride yesterday and after parking the bike in the garage for a couple of house noticed a small puddle on the ground under the left fork...I'm pretty upset with the early failure but was thinking about sending the suspension to Les at LTR anyway...Any thoughts?

2009 Husky TE610

Up and over the Sierras to Bodie...
lionsroaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:19 PM   #17180
Fizz
Fizz

Oddometer: 168
I run a 14\45 sprocket combo on my 2006 TE610 (stock is 15\45). I want better torque for steeper hills and single track so am considering a 13\45 sprocket combination, and swap out the 13 and 14 depending on the riding I am doing - aggressive\less aggressive dirt.

Are there any problems with the 13\45 combination other than chain wear? ie wearing the swing arm rubber out etc.

Anyone run 13\45 sprocket combination for the dirt - what is your experience?

Thanx in advance
Fizz
Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:41 PM   #17181
edeslaur
San Diegan

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz
I run a 14\45 sprocket combo on my 2006 TE610 (stock is 15\45). I want better torque for steeper hills and single track so am considering a 13\45 sprocket combination, and swap out the 13 and 14 depending on the riding I am doing - aggressive\less aggressive dirt.

Are there any problems with the 13\45 combination other than chain wear? ie wearing the swing arm rubber out etc.

Thanx in advance
Fizz
I ran a +10 tooth rear sprocket for the first 5,000 miles since that's what it came with when I bought it. Ran great, and pulled better up top than my buddy's stocker (same year).

It did eat the rear chain guide, being that much bigger than stock.

Now that I've gone back to stock gearing, top end speed is decreased.

Gas MPG remained surprisingly similar (maybe 1 or 2 better @ stock, maybe).

Performance-wise, I don't see a huge difference offroad once I get going, but then that's what the tranny's for. FWIW, I'm not a rocket, but then again I'm not slow.

For my next set of sprockets, I'm going to aim closer to the +10 combo I had I think.

YMMV

Ride reports:
- 10 Mar Baja
- 08 Feb Baja
- 07 Aug West coast PDX->SAN
- More!
edeslaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:30 PM   #17182
jtemple
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by edeslaur
I ran a +10 tooth rear sprocket for the first 5,000 miles since that's what it came with when I bought it. Ran great, and pulled better up top than my buddy's stocker (same year).

It did eat the rear chain guide, being that much bigger than stock.

Now that I've gone back to stock gearing, top end speed is decreased.

Gas MPG remained surprisingly similar (maybe 1 or 2 better @ stock, maybe).

Performance-wise, I don't see a huge difference offroad once I get going, but then that's what the tranny's for. FWIW, I'm not a rocket, but then again I'm not slow.

For my next set of sprockets, I'm going to aim closer to the +10 combo I had I think.

YMMV
Wouldn't a bigger rear sprocket (especially +10) reduce top speed, not increase it? I would also think that 10 more teeth would make it pretty difficult to keep the front wheel down.
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:32 PM   #17183
Hoder
Card carrying greeny

Oddometer: 1,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz
I have a 13/45 on now. It's way better in the techincal stuff but I don't like to cruise over 55 mph with it.
Haven't noticed any wear from it.

Dave:
The 610 really makes me want to ride like a punk everywhere I go.
bikefrk:
You now understand supermoto.
Your training is complete.
Hoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:41 PM   #17184
rockchucker22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsroaar
Has anyone else with a late model 610 had a fork seal leak? Mine is a 2009 with 850 miles on it. I went on a 150 mile dual sport ride yesterday and after parking the bike in the garage for a couple of house noticed a small puddle on the ground under the left fork...I'm pretty upset with the early failure but was thinking about sending the suspension to Les at LTR anyway...Any thoughts?
My 07 went at about 700 miles new seals and they haven't leaked since ...all though I did put seal savers on after the first leak.
rockchucker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:44 PM   #17185
rockchucker22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtemple
Wouldn't a bigger rear sprocket (especially +10) reduce top speed, not increase it? I would also think that 10 more teeth would make it pretty difficult to keep the front wheel down.
yeas larger rear slower top end. I went 4 larger in the rear and droped 12-15 mph top end.
rockchucker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:59 PM   #17186
Rattletrap
When in doubt-Gas it

Oddometer: 302
Well I can confirm the story about the silverstar bulbs. Put a 55 watt in my X2 for the high beam, and it lasted less than 500 miles. Replaced it with a standard 55 watt today. Maybe it will last somewhat longer I hope.
Rattletrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:32 PM   #17187
K7MDL
TE450, TE610

Oddometer: 1,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtemple
Fuel range and load capacity wasn't really an issue for me. I almost never have time to take an extended trip on my bike.
Even so, some loops in the desert area are void of gas stops. Death Valley for example. Very easy to do 190 to 250 mile loops with no gas availalble along the way. I have refueled a KTM 950 and a KTM 400 from my old KLR supertanker last year in Moab and just over the Cascades from Seattle, respectively. Extended trips not required to find desolation in the western states :-)
K7MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:34 PM   #17188
edeslaur
San Diegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchucker22
yeas larger rear slower top end. I went 4 larger in the rear and droped 12-15 mph top end.
What's your top end? Maybe mine's just slow.

It would pull low 100s with the +10 into a stiff headwind. With the stock gears on it, it struggles at mid 90s - no headwind.

How do I know they're stock? I bought a new front gear, chain, and reinstalled the original rear (which came in the box o' parts).

Ride reports:
- 10 Mar Baja
- 08 Feb Baja
- More!
Old 06-07-2010, 09:37 PM   #17189
edeslaur
San Diegan

Quote:
Yeah, take a business card and run the corner under the lip of the seal and see how much dirt comes out.

Frequently it's something simple like that. Especially if your bike fell down of its own accord.

Ride reports:
- 10 Mar Baja
- 08 Feb Baja
- More!
Old 06-07-2010, 10:23 PM   #17190
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeSDP
It's DOT 4 (I checked on my 610 just now)

Thank you!!

Quote:

Well, Les fixed my leaking fork seal

That's one part where a failure is not necessarily 'early' You get the right dirt in there, it's gonna leak. Ridden in any sand? Pismo beach is what killed mine. I haven't ridden my new suspenders yet, but everyone I know that has had it done by Les swears by them, so look on the bright side of life (Kinda ironic coming from a negative nelli like me)
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote