Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2010, 08:41 AM   #17296
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™
You do wheel it outside to run it up to operating temperature, don't you?

Nawp. I did open the door though.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:03 AM   #17297
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic
It's off to the dealer tomorrow to have a look inside the top end.

On your $12 an hour job?

It might be cheaper to box it up and ship it to me. I'll tear into it for free. Shoot me a PM...I even get 75% off shipping at Fedex.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:11 AM   #17298
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy
On your $12 an hour job?

It might be cheaper to box it up and ship it to me. I'll tear into it for free. Shoot me a PM...I even get 75% off shipping at Fedex.
That's mighty generous of you! Heck I could drive it down and maybe still make 1 day of the Tahoeacr ride this w/e!

I just dropped it off, and already having second thoughts about it. They are gonna take like a week to even look at it, I got 4 days off for this big ride I wanted to do and I could at least get it apart saving $100 or so.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 06-16-2010, 11:25 AM   #17299
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic
That's mighty generous of you! Heck I could drive it down and maybe still make 1 day of the Tahoeacr ride this w/e!

I just dropped it off, and already having second thoughts about it. They are gonna take like a week to even look at it, I got 4 days off for this big ride I wanted to do and I could at least get it apart saving $100 or so.

Yeah, bring it down. If we fix it you go to your ride, if not..you order parts and go home. It would be nice to have the chassis here to test fire it. We've got MotoXotica within 50 miles and without me to clear out his parts shelves he should have most everything in stock.

Shoot me a PM if you need me. I'm working swing shift now without internet access between 1PM and 11PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:29 PM   #17300
Rattletrap
When in doubt-Gas it

Oddometer: 302
Thought I might need to check my cam chain tensioner, since I haven't checked it since 3000 miles. It now has 7572 miles, looks like 5 clicks. Probably need to check my valves, they haven't been checked since the 600 mile service. But its running sooo good right now.

Rattletrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:23 PM   #17301
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattletrap
Thought I might need to check my cam chain tensioner, since I haven't checked it since 3000 miles. It now has 7572 miles, looks like 5 clicks. Probably need to check my valves, they haven't been checked since the 600 mile service. But its running sooo good right now.

Thats good I got to 10 at 9000 miles - but now run a manual one.
Flashman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:37 PM   #17302
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,621
(I made this graphic for you Xytomic ):

My Husky is now worth 25 cents more than it was a few hours ago.

So last summer up in Montana the 610 fell over in a parking lot on its right side and the brake lever punched a hole in the case. I pulled it off and jb-welded it. This spring in Moab it fell over on the same side again and popped the jb weld off. It has only been seeping but time to "fix it" again.

Since the damage occured in Montana.. I figured this was only fitting:

...now I just have to figure out how to fix this thing (again)

The great thing about having more than one bike: When one is broken you can ride another.

The sucky thing about having more than one bike: There's always one (or more) broken.
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:14 AM   #17303
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

OK, well I took the motor to the dealer this morning. But then Larryboy offered to help diagnose it, and I thought at the very least I could take it apart even if I might not be able to reassemble it. Anyways, I went and got the motor back from the dealer.

I got into the Stator side this afternoon to see if maybe I mis-installed the flywheel. It looks good to me, nothing that looks like the scrape sound-maker I have. No metal in the oil. Anybody see anything weird about anything in these pix?

Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 06-17-2010, 12:40 AM   #17304
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek
(I made this graphic for you Xytomic ):

The sucky thing about having more than one bike: There's always one (or more) broken.

Tell me about it. I'm still fixing a bike that got crashed two years ago.

Nice thing for me is that it's always summer here.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:52 PM   #17305
Geek
oot & aboot

xymotic: I haven't been following this thread too carefully so I dunno what your symptoms are... but whenever I see the left cover off the first thing that pops into my head is the times the stator side is the bushings fall out/get lost. They are very loose.

You probably already know this.. but I'd double check every gear has a bushing it rides in in the case cover itself.

i.e. the little round suckers in the bottom right of this collage.. you can see where they go in the *cover* above them.. the one is missing in my pic

Old 06-17-2010, 06:10 PM   #17306
rockchucker22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek
xymotic: I haven't been following this thread too carefully so I dunno what your symptoms are... but whenever I see the left cover off the first thing that pops into my head is the times the stator side is the bushings fall out/get lost. They are very loose.

You probably already know this.. but I'd double check every gear has a bushing it rides in in the case cover itself.

i.e. the little round suckers in the bottom right of this collage.. you can see where they go in the *cover* above them.. the one is missing in my pic

What tank are you using?
rockchucker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:18 PM   #17307
Geek
oot & aboot

Same one I've always had

It is the 4.3 IMS

Old 06-17-2010, 06:37 PM   #17308
spanker
bada bing, capiche?

Oddometer: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggieFalls
While I've been waiting for my replacement rotor to come in to replace my bent one, I needed a way to still ride. I put a pry bar between the hub and the rotor and carefully bent it back until it was straight. That was over a year ago and I've put over 5,000 miles on since then at every speed and under all conditions and have never had another problem with it. Try it at your own risk.
I bent my rotor the first year I had the bike ('08) and put two blocks of wood on either side of the rotor with a c-clamp and pried it back straight. 2 and a half years later, still good to go.
spanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:04 PM   #17309
spanker
bada bing, capiche?

Oddometer: 825
Geek et al:

[quote=Geek]

...now I just have to figure out how to fix this thing (again)

I'm working on my fix for that dumb-ass sub-sub frame as we speak. In the meantime, I thought I'd post some pics of my mods to the sub frame.

I fabricated some 1/8 in 5086 AL gussets and had them welded up (TIG'd) to the weak struts that Xymotic managed to break. The cutouts are for the dirt bagz racks that will be installed. I had to slit the fender well (who cares?) with a Dremel tool and a cutoff wheel to make it work (left side).

Right side.

I also gusseted the crap out of the muffler heat shield. You can see where the aft bolt hole started to crack and the majority of the bend under the bolt holes started to crack. The big gusset is to keep the whole shield from flapping in the breeze, which started the cracking in the first place. I used 1/8 in 5086 again. The back side of the bolt holes are also gusseted. The extension that is riveted on is to protect the Wolfman saddle bags.

While I was at it, I gusseted the battery tray, which also was starting to crack.

I will post pics of the sub-sub frame when I get it done.

I will be riding with the Jerzy Boyz (DockingPilot) in Sept out West and it's never too early to prep the bike so it's bulletproof.
spanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:12 PM   #17310
Geek
oot & aboot

Going through Colorado? Let me know! We can meet up & share some beers