User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2010, 06:40 PM   #17446
spanker
bada bing, capiche?

Oddometer: 825
update

I thought I'd give an update and recap of my mods to the sub and sub-sub frame. It's all in preparation for carrying camp gear on my next trip out west with the Jerzey Boyz (DockingPilot et. al). We are doing about 2500 miles over two weeks and a bulletproof bike is an absolute must. We all know that the square tubing (forks) that the ridiculous sub-sub frame mounts to can fail at the welds. Ask xymotic. I previously posted that I fabricated gussets from 1/8 in al and had them welded up. We also know that the battery tray cracks and needs some beefing up. And, we also know that the sub-sub frame is a pile of junk and serves only to allow the rear fender to rest on it. Anything more than that and you risk failure.

First, you need an ace welder and I found one.

Meet Mike Simoneau, owner of Sweet Iron Works, Colchester, CT. Mike is a welder, machinish, fabricator, metal guy. He formerly worked at Electric Boat as a welder; submarines that is. He now has his own business and continues to contract to businesses and Gov't submarine and surface ship work. BTW, he is a superb trials rider and likes to work on bike stuff.

To recap, I gusseted the forks of the subframe:

Then, I gusseted the battery tray:

Then, I gusseted the muffler guard; the extension is to protect my Wolfman Expedition saddle bags.

Finally, I had to figure something out with the sub-sub frame. I had intended to take some 1/8 in. AL and bend it into a c-channel section but that posed a problem. One has to bend the metal precisely to fit between the fender and the sub frame. What you don't want is to have a poor-fitting piece that pre-loads the existing welds when you bolt it up. If it's too narrow, when you sock up the bolts it will bend the forks and stress the crap out of the welds and invite failure. I don't have a brake (metal bending tool used by sheet metal fabricators), don't have an endless supply of aluminum and if I screwed it up and it didn't fit perfectly, I'd have to do it again. So, I decided to use the existing piece to keep the existing spacing and geometry and beef it up. I used 1.5 x 1.5 x 1/8 angle and 1/8 plate to beef it up.

Mike is welding the first piece of angle by tucking it up under the existing L-section. It provides rigidity in the vertical and horizontal plane.

Getting ready to tack the 2nd angle to the opposite side.

I fabricated a piece of 1/8 plate, laid it right on top of everything to tie both angles and the bracket together. Now both angles and the bracket becomes a rigid, single piece.

A final weld underneath and it's a done deal.

I obviously used the existing holes as a template to drill through the angle so the positioning is exactly the same as the original piece.

The finished product, with my Baja Designs LED tail light, ready to mount to the bike. I trimmed the angle with a Dremel tool and cut off wheel.

Now I can mount my Seal Line Dry Bag Duffle right to the rear fender (who needs a rack?) and be confident that short of flipping the bike over backwards, the tail section will stay strong, I can ride at any speed and take some pretty big hits without breaking anything.

Bonus photo: my first TIG weld, not bad!

spanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:36 PM   #17447
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanker
I thought I'd give an update and recap of my mods to the sub and sub-sub frame.
Wow. Fantastic work!

Could you do the same for me? I pay with stale cheetos and unpaired socks.

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:40 PM   #17448
Xcuvator
Justa Venturer

Oddometer: 1,355
"Bonus photo: my first TIG weld, not bad!"

Not too bad for a first tig weld. Your arms weren't a little red the next day by any chance?

So much riding-so little time
Xcuvator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:21 PM   #17449
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
Um, yeah, I guess that's a little beefier.

I dunno exactly how I became known as Mr. Sub frame killa, (there were two busted ones on that ride ) But If I've saved one guy's rear end I'm happy. You could say gay with pride about it even, but no need to throw me a parade or anything. It's enough for me that spanker's rear end has received a huge beef injection like that.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:27 AM   #17450
Stinky
Team Hematoma

Oddometer: 444
Question Stock Rear Rack Install

Howdy all. I have an '08 SM and I have a stock rack that came off an '06 I would like to install. Unfortunately I have no instructions on how to do it. Does anyone have instructions, or better yet, close up pictures of the install? Looks fairly straightforward but I don't want to roach the fender by drilling the holes wrong. Thanks. Search was not my friend in this case.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:36 AM   #17451
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68deluxe
I was on my way home when I noticed the right side gas tank panel flapping in the wind. The tab that is bolted down broke, looks like it was drilled off center and there was not enough material on the outside. Bike is just out of warranty, figgers.
Mine did that too - I fixed it by JB welding a flat washer around the torn plastic - holding up fine - 8000 miles later.
Flashman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:52 AM   #17452
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman1
Mine did that too - I fixed it by JB welding a flat washer around the torn plastic - holding up fine - 8000 miles later.
I just reversed the bushing, and sammiched the shroud in there. and it's held up pretty well.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 07-01-2010, 12:40 PM   #17453
macdarren
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
TE610 Tools

So besides the meager tool set that comes with the bike what do you guys carry when off road that might help you get back to civilization in the event of 'situation.' I am a little concerned as unlike other bikes I have had, I don't know that I could practically rebuilt the thing in the field. Heck I have not even tried to change a tube yet though I presume that is not unusually difficult.

And for anyone else that might be interested I have decided to try to build my own rear rack with some bolt on re-enforcement. My plan is generally to carry as little as possible and I want to avoid braking the subframe but sometimes I need a little cargo capacity. I'll post some pictures when done. If it turns out well I might even offer them to others if there is some interest.
macdarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:42 PM   #17454
BikeSDP
Reluctantly Crouched

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdarren
So besides the meager tool set that comes with the bike what do you guys carry when off road that might help you get back to civilization in the event of 'situation.' I am a little concerned as unlike other bikes I have had, I don't know that I could practically rebuilt the thing in the field. Heck I have not even tried to change a tube yet though I presume that is not unusually difficult.

And for anyone else that might be interested I have decided to try to build my own rear rack with some bolt on re-enforcement. My plan is generally to carry as little as possible and I want to avoid braking the subframe but sometimes I need a little cargo capacity. I'll post some pictures when done. If it turns out well I might even offer them to others if there is some interest.
You'll probably get a lot of different answers. Over at The Rockies regional forum, there was a thread about what's indispensable in your kit. I started with Blue Ridge Racing to build my kit for both bikes, so they are similar. You might be able to do it cheaper by rolling your own though. On the 610, I carry one of their kits bolted to a piece of 18 guage which in turn is bolted to a PMB rack:

Since the 300 doesn't have a subframe, I carry a pack:

So some things to think about apart from the obvious wrenches and sockets:
flash light or headlamp
lighter
vice grips
duct and electrical tape
safety wire
tow strap (you won't need to be towed, your buddy will)
compass
tire tools (core remover, tube snake, levers, wrench for rim lock, pump, patch kit, air gauge)
spare tube (21")
camp soap (also can use as tire lube)
gloves or rags
zip ties
multi-tool with some blades and bottle opener
I am going to carry a spare bicycle derailleur and brake cable in case I brake a throttle cable or maybe clutch cable.
JB Weld or Quicksteel
spare clutch lever if you got one
spark plug (already gapped and in a plastic holder)
spark plug wrench
float bowl wrench (if carb'd)

I'm sure there are other things people bring from experience.

BikeSDP screwed with this post 07-02-2010 at 11:41 AM Reason: added link
BikeSDP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:16 PM   #17455
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,544
Here's what I carry on my 610 and Honda XRL:

Wrenches 8mm to 14mm plus 7/16 x 3/8" box end
Cresent brand 6" adjustable, it opens to 24mm
Those vice grips work as plyer, wire cutter, and back up.
1/4" sockets 7mm to 14mm plus 7/16, 1/2, and 9/16"
short extension and rachet.
3/8" drive Spark plug socket with adaptor to 1/4" drive
Allen wenches 4mm to 10mm plus 1/4" and 3/8" brass drifts all held together with spare O rings.
Little hammer
Multi tip mini screw driver
wire tooth brush
Special spark plug socket for my XRL
short tire irons and tie wraps.
Wire
Fuses, patch kit, valve stems, extra caps, extra master link
hand air pump in my back pack.
Syphon hose
Extra 21" tube on long trips.

Developed this kit by using it when servicing the bike and adding or deleating as needed:

I like to travel light too! The tools rolled up in that canvas tool wrap goes in a canvas ammo holder attached to a custom plastic rack on the back of the old 610. Another ammo holder carries a quart bottle of fuel:

86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7

fritzcoinc screwed with this post 07-01-2010 at 03:38 PM
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:45 AM   #17456
K7MDL
TE450, TE610

Oddometer: 1,552
Things have been too slow lately here.

Rock steps in Death Valley near Echo Canyon.

K7MDL screwed with this post 07-02-2010 at 03:20 PM
K7MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:02 AM   #17457
SepticSkeptic
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Quote:

I've been procrastinating on making it happen, but this is exactly what I pictured in my head after seeing a couple failures at that location. Nicely done.
SepticSkeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:03 AM   #17458
RonSavage
adventure maker

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68deluxe
I was on my way home when I noticed the right side gas tank panel flapping in the wind. The tab that is bolted down broke, looks like it was drilled off center and there was not enough material on the outside. Bike is just out of warranty, figgers.
mine is the same way.
RonSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:06 AM   #17459
RonSavage
adventure maker

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonsage
http://www.cafehusky.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7819

Go here for footpeg relocators that help with bigger feet. I use them and love em.
I wear 13"s,I went with Pivot Pegs,problem solved.
RonSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:51 PM   #17460
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SepticSkeptic
I've been procrastinating on making it happen, but this is exactly what I pictured in my head after seeing a couple failures at that location. Nicely done.
Me too, but I took the easy way and didn't cut the inner fender. It's bitten me in the ass so to speak

Clayton, is your bike up & running again?
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale