Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2010, 07:33 PM   #17461
tpar1220
such a pud..

Oddometer: 2,550
prep work on te is done.... i am off to moab in 6 days!!

There will only be two things left moving after WW3.
Cockroaches & KLRs.
tpar1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:15 PM   #17462
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,367
I got the 610 working (mostly) (With a lot of help from k7mdl and larryboy.)

But I really haven't had any time off to really go anywhere so I've been jonesing like a crack whore for a fix to get my bike up and running.

Yesterday I put the bike back together for the upteenth time (fixed high beam, got turn indicators working, but still no reserve and the tach works better but it's still not right.

Anyway at about 4pm I decided I had to go for a ride. So I packed up some beer and I was gonna go find a spot in the hills and chillax a little.
Note to self: There is a LOT of traffic out of Seattle at 4pm on a holiday weekend.

40 minutes later I'm like 15 miles from my house (god I miss lane splitting!!!)

So I abandon my plan to find a real dirt road and instead go to a unused lot/dump area in Tacoma that the locals have kinda built a mx track at. There were some kids there, so I show off a bit and wheelie into the dirt and peg it. There were some whoops, so I decide to see what the new LTR suspenders can really do, and... nothing! I mean it was like mild washboard. So I decided to hit some bigger whoops, and then faster. Hmm

So then I try my first honest to god, actual jump.

Steeper than it looks! I got it a good 6-7' in the air. I did bottom out the shocks for the first time ever. So there is definitely some truth to larryboy's claim about riding it harder if it's sprung to high

That said, for 99.9% of my riding I can tell the 'proper' suspension will be worlds better. The bike just goes where I tell it.

So anyway I played around a bit more, and did about the most aggressive riding I've ever done and it just worked great.

Then the cops showed up.

I decided not to hang around and have a conversation, so
I went out the back at about 80 on a 50 mph road.

SO now I was in full on hooligan mode, and I went along the railroad tracks looking for a way onto the access road, but it was gated fenced pretty good. Just then I ended up on a river/levee road, and below the levee was a nice looking little dirt road. So when I got on that, I naturally thought I could PASS all the cars above me on the paved road. I was doing pretty good too, going about 40 or maybe a little faster when I came upon a big puddle. I went up high around most of it and was gonna cut around the last bit. When I did the 'cut' I was down with the bike looped around 180 degrees and I was sliding on my butt for 10'

The bike looked generally ok, but it wouldn't start.

I was however pretty pissed that I really torqued my new custom-made tail piece.

Hmm, So I decided to approach this logically, and the first step in determining the problem was that I needed a beer to properly asses the situation.

Since I had the beer unstrapped, it seemed LOGICAL to look at the fuses first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic
I dunno exactly how I became known as Mr. Sub frame killa
This is when I discovered a truth about myself, and I must admit that I am in-fact a subframe killa.

Shoulda left that gusset in there I guess...

The fuses were fine, this was clearly gonna require much more intensive troubleshooting:

I got to crash-test and use my center stand from cigar mike in battle for the first time

Turns out the brake got rotated a little, just enough to unplug the kill switch.
Just as I got it started this hooligan shows up

I offered him a beer but he said 'absolutely not' so I said "well, cheers!" and had me another. (I mean I had to celebrate my awesome wilderness repair skills! I was kinda proud of my methodical troubleshooting.)

His name was Jamie and we chatted for a bit and then was on my way.

There were a number of take-aways to be learned here.
1) no good can happen when you pack beer
2) No good can happen in 4th gear in the dirt

But Really, I think the lesson is to stay away from levee roads. Them things are fuckin dangerous.

I also think the problem is packing the beer, but not drinking enough of it early-on.

Anyway, The road actually turned out to be pretty challenging, it had the first proper sand I've hit since being in Washington. I hit the pavement again, and the beers suddenly 'hit me' so I decided to go to Costco and and go pee, and I could also pick up a frying pan I've been wanting. ( I know, right?)

Note to self #2, NEVER go to costco at 6PM on the Friday of a July 4th Weekend. Walking around the place in full gear and covered head to toe in mud, was kinda fun though.

Then the hooligan returned and I did the best wheelie of my life in the Costco parking lot. (actually the closed circuit city & empty part of the costco parking lot.)

That's the end of my 2 hour 30 mile long ride & beer report
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker

xymotic screwed with this post 07-03-2010 at 11:07 PM
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:05 PM   #17463
SepticSkeptic
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Quote:
Me too, but I took the easy way and didn't cut the inner fender. It's bitten me in the ass so to speak

Clayton, is your bike up & running again?
Sadly, no. I'm gonna give George another call Monday for a status report. I did however, get my forks back from Trailtricks. Eager to try those out. Summer is officially here and I need to get my ass back in the saddle and get going on that trip. Nice mini RR btw.
SepticSkeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:08 PM   #17464
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SepticSkeptic
Sadly, no. I'm gonna give George another call Monday for a status report. I did however, get my forks back from Trailtricks. Eager to try those out. Summer is officially here and I need to get my ass back in the saddle and get going on that trip. Nice mini RR btw.
When you comin up!? Tent-space open! Lets go to Alaska man!
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 07-04-2010, 02:26 AM   #17465
SepticSkeptic
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
When you comin up!? Tent-space open! Lets go to Alaska man!
I'm down, just waiting on the engine. Javier rode up to Oregon a while back, I've been meaning to hit him up for route recomendations, maybe gpx files. Probably wanna stay a couple days at my fathers place on the Coquille river in OR for a bit of r&r before meandering my way though the forests from there up to you. The good news is I'm so far past my expected departure date with nothing to do but twiddle my thumbs and work that I have enough of a chunk of money saved that I don't have to worry, as much, about being broke by the end of the trip. The very real prospect of being penniless, as well as jobless, and homeless, at the end of the trip was weighing on me a bit.

Just don't get a DUI between now and then, otherwise we'll have to figure out a way to smuggle you across the Canadian border.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:30 AM   #17466
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SepticSkeptic
I'm down, just waiting on the engine. Javier rode up to Oregon a while back, I've been meaning to hit him up for route recomendations, maybe gpx files. Probably wanna stay a couple days at my fathers place on the Coquille river in OR for a bit of r&r before meandering my way though the forests from there up to you. The good news is I'm so far past my expected departure date with nothing to do but twiddle my thumbs and work that I have enough of a chunk of money saved that I don't have to worry, as much, about being broke by the end of the trip. The very real prospect of being penniless, as well as jobless, and homeless, at the end of the trip was weighing on me a bit.

Just don't get a DUI between now and then, otherwise we'll have to figure out a way to smuggle you across the Canadian border.
I just need a few weeks notice to schedule some time off. You have a husky, you've only waited what 5 months for parts? So I'm guessing another three... Alaska in November, what could possibly go wrong?

ps, you really want to take a route Javier considers recreational?
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 07-04-2010, 02:54 AM   #17467
SepticSkeptic
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I just need a few weeks notice to schedule some time off. You have a husky, you've only waited what 5 months for parts? So I'm guessing another three... Alaska in November, what could possibly go wrong?

ps, you really want to take a route Javier considers recreational?
Well I know it won't be a boring route. He took his rally bike, my concern is more about range. Of course, doing a Javier route solo loaded with camping gear might be a bit silly, but I'll ask anyway.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:07 AM   #17468
spanker
bada bing, capiche?

Oddometer: 825
all,

URGENT, opinions please. I was seeking top dead center on the Husky when I decided to use a small american flag as an indicator, seeing as it's July 4th and all. Well............the valves trapped a piece of the stem and broke it off.

I tried to pick it out but it dropped into the cylinder. It's 3/16ths diameter x about 3/8ths. Question; should I leave it in there and hope it incinerates and doesn't jam into a valve seat, or, pull the head off? If anyone has had a similar experience, do tell.

Happy July 4th.

spanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:37 PM   #17469
K7MDL
TE450, TE610

Oddometer: 1,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanker
URGENT, opinions please. I was seeking top dead center on the Husky when I decided to use a small american flag as an indicator, seeing as it's July 4th and all. Well............the valves trapped a piece of the stem and broke it off.

I tried to pick it out but it dropped into the cylinder. It's 3/16ths diameter x about 3/8ths. Question; should I leave it in there and hope it incinerates and doesn't jam into a valve seat, or, pull the head off? If anyone has had a similar experience, do tell.

Happy July 4th.
As long as you can keep the wood in the spark plug hole area to see it, you might try fishing a heavy fishing line or fine solid wire down around it and pull it up. 2 things are likely to happen, beside tons of time and patience lost - you pull it and it folds in the middle and comes out, or it breaks in 2 pieces and falls back in. The smaller pieces might vacuum out though. Use a clean vacuum filter and find what comes out to account for all of it.

Another idea, seeing that you have it so close, is to spear it with a pin like object near one end and see if you can draw it out end first. Maybe a large sewing needle, with thread in it so you do not lose it too :-).

I would be worried about valve damage trying to run it. Not log ago, in this thread maybe. someone did the same thing, he was ultimately able to vacuum it out.
K7MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:43 PM   #17470
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by K7MDL
As long as you can keep the wood in the spark plug hole area to see it, you might try fishing a heavy fishing line or fine solid wire down around it and pull it up. 2 things are likely to happen, beside tons of time and patience lost - you pull it and it folds in the middle and comes out, or it breaks in 2 pieces and falls back in. The smaller pieces might vacuum out though. Use a clean vacuum filter and find what comes out to account for all of it.

Another idea, seeing that you have it so close, is to spear it with a pin like object near one end and see if you can draw it out end first. Maybe a large sewing needle, with thread in it so you do not lose it too :-).

I would be worried about valve damage trying to run it. Not log ago, in this thread maybe. someone did the same thing, he was ultimately able to vacuum it out.

I say burn it. MAPP gas torch after a couple drops of gas, turn it to ash and run it.

I also think xymotic should get a bicycle and give the poor 610 a break.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:27 PM   #17471
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy
I say burn it. MAPP gas torch after a couple drops of gas, turn it to ash and run it.

I also think xymotic should get a bicycle and give the poor 610 a break.

I agree. Burn it out Den. Soak that sucker in gas then then torch it.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 02:39 PM   #17472
ra2bach
drive-by poster

Oddometer: 4,814
Hi Guys, been a lo-o-o-o-ong time since I've been here but I am a proud owner of a low miles 2006 610 that still has the stock lighting.

many moons ago, a popular lighting swap was the Buell kit.

I can get one for next to nothing and I wondered what the latest on this was. any ideas? any links to install, etc.?

"having dreams to look forward to slows time..."

-- Freeflow

ra2bach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 03:43 PM   #17473
lionsroaar
I meant to do that!!

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
I agree. Burn it out Den. Soak that sucker in gas then then torch it.
I'm with the two other pyro's on this one...As Beavis would say, "FIRE, FIRE!!!"

2009 Husky TE610

Up and over the Sierras to Bodie...
lionsroaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 04:06 PM   #17474
the_wes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
yeeha, fun times this weekend, mixing it up with the 2 strokes

the_wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 04:11 PM   #17475
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over