Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #23131
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpt4321 View Post
Meeting DOT requirements inherently makes a tire less aggressive (shorter knob height, for example).
Why so? DOT only means it will not come apart at 85 MPH. Nothing to do with traction etc.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:47 PM   #23132
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,123
the new AC10 next to what I thought was a big tire the MT 16. Now the 16 isn't so big. The MT 16 didn't see as much dirt as I had hope due to my back surgery. I did play a bit today and even half used up, it still hooked up like a champ even with street air pressure in it.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?xyswkj
Life is good!
1 lunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:53 AM   #23133
bitwrench
ADV SUMO

Oddometer: 190
Steering Stabilizer

Greetings,
Is anyone running a steering stabilizer with the Safari Tank on a Fuel Injected 610?
The front of the tank looks nearly the same as the stock tank, so I'm assuming it will work..
Cheers,
Bitwrench
bitwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:20 AM   #23134
huzar
Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer: 1,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitwrench View Post
Greetings,
Is anyone running a steering stabilizer with the Safari Tank on a Fuel Injected 610?
The front of the tank looks nearly the same as the stock tank, so I'm assuming it will work..
Cheers,
Bitwrench
I am. There's at least one more fellow on here who does as well, I think.

Here's some pics of mine: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=20937
huzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #23135
toddler
Unpronouncible

Oddometer: 2,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman1 View Post
Gets much better mileage than the OEM setup.

Same as the 606, and MT21s I have tried - the Michelin T63 got better mileage but had such shitty traction I threw it away.
I love the rear T63 for CO rocks. It sucks in anything wet though. The other advantage to the T63 is the lower rear profile as it makes the 610 more stable at high speed and got rid of the wobble for me. The front T63 is not worth using, good for the street but the knobs are too short for grip offroad.

I will try the pirelli ralley raids next, as I had to put those on my ktm 500 to pass my street legal test, and I think they will be very nice on the 610. Has anyone used them?
toddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:00 AM   #23136
kpt4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 lunger View Post
the new AC10 next to what I thought was a big tire the MT 16. Now the 16 isn't so big. The MT 16 didn't see as much dirt as I had hope due to my back surgery. I did play a bit today and even half used up, it still hooked up like a champ even with street air pressure in it.
AC10 rears don't last very long. I think that a 610 will kill that thing in short order, they don't even last that long on my KDX. The fronts wear much better.

To the other poster, I ran a 908RR (rear) on my 610 before the current setup (Maxxis Desert IT). It was ok. They do not have a ton of edges, and once they start to wear the off-road traction gets bad, especially in the wet. I tossed mine in the fall even though it had plenty of "miles" left in it, because it was useless, especially in mud, wet roots, and wet rocks.

This, combined with the cost, means I will probably not run them again.
kpt4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:16 AM   #23137
bitwrench
ADV SUMO

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by huzar View Post
I am. There's at least one more fellow on here who does as well, I think.

Here's some pics of mine: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=20937
COOL BEANS! Which Scotts system did you buy. Did it come with those black risers?
Thanks in advance..
J
bitwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:48 PM   #23138
diggsdirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Clutch Noise

Hey All, I have a 06 TE 610 and the last time I posted I had an overflow of gas into my engine. I had left the petcock in the on position and apparently filled up the crankcase with gas, I did not know at the time and road to work and back ( about a 24 mile round trip ).
On the way home I noticed a noise, when releasing the clutch, on the clutch side, like a growl.
When I got home I realized what had happened, drained the oil, changed filter ran it and changed the oil one more time.
So now every once and a while when letting the clutch out, the same growl makes happens. When the clutch is fully engaged it does not happen, still pulls strong and otherwise no other problems.
Could the gas in the oil caused issues with the clutch plates or the clutch basket?
I have 9,700 miles on the bike.
Any thoughts would be great.
Thanks!
Michael
diggsdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #23139
huzar
Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer: 1,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitwrench View Post
COOL BEANS! Which Scotts system did you buy. Did it come with those black risers?
Thanks in advance..
J
I simply used Scott's TE-610 SUB-mount kit.
huzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #23140
KIK ROX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Okay, I just changed the oil in my '08 for the first time and want to check something with you guys (feel free to comment on my procedure as well). Pulled both drain plugs, drained until empty, put plugs back in, pulled oil filter cover, swapped for a new K&N, put that all back together, filled up with two 1 liter (1.057 quarts) containers of Motorex 10-60. Started it up, rocked it around, rode it a few feet, checked the sight hole... The oil level is toward the bottom of the sight hole. Shut it down and the oil filled up the sight hole. The bike was vertical when I checked the levels.... Do I have too much oil in there or just the right amount?
KIK ROX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #23141
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsdirt View Post
Hey All, I have a 06 TE 610 and the last time I posted I had an overflow of gas into my engine. I had left the petcock in the on position and apparently filled up the crankcase with gas, I did not know at the time and road to work and back ( about a 24 mile round trip ).
On the way home I noticed a noise, when releasing the clutch, on the clutch side, like a growl.
When I got home I realized what had happened, drained the oil, changed filter ran it and changed the oil one more time.
So now every once and a while when letting the clutch out, the same growl makes happens. When the clutch is fully engaged it does not happen, still pulls strong and otherwise no other problems.
Could the gas in the oil caused issues with the clutch plates or the clutch basket?
I have 9,700 miles on the bike.
Any thoughts would be great.
Thanks!
Michael
Not a TE expert, but I'd check the bronze clutch bushing...

I dunno if the gas in the oil had anything to do with it, but it can't have done it any good.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #23142
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIK ROX View Post
Okay, I just changed the oil in my '08 for the first time and want to check something with you guys (feel free to comment on my procedure as well). Pulled both drain plugs, drained until empty, put plugs back in, pulled oil filter cover, swapped for a new K&N, put that all back together, filled up with two 1 liter (1.057 quarts) containers of Motorex 10-60. Started it up, rocked it around, rode it a few feet, checked the sight hole... The oil level is toward the bottom of the sight hole. Shut it down and the oil filled up the sight hole. The bike was vertical when I checked the levels.... Do I have too much oil in there or just the right amount?
You might have a hair too much oil, but it will push it out. The 610 takes a bit less than two quarts. Check oil cold with bike level and you should have a small bubble at the top of sight glass. Look close and you'll see the hash mark showing the high mark.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?jiddhz
Life is good!
1 lunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #23143
begeberg
That'll leave a mark..

Oddometer: 2,287
tires...

Been running the Kenda K270 with good success including about 800 miles in Colorado and have been quite impressed with the tires. Looks like the rear will last about 3000 miles and front around 5000. Good overall tire for rocks, gravel and road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman1 View Post
Gets much better mileage than the OEM setup.

Same as the 606, and MT21s I have tried - the Michelin T63 got better mileage but had such shitty traction I threw it away.

Funniest truthism ever.....
begeberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:55 PM   #23144
lstehbens
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Thanks for all the replies really appreciated it. Yeah I don't think I can be arsed with that one... just let that one fly through to the keeper. On my next days off I'm going to go into town. The Husq dealer can get be a ride on the supermoto version of the 630 but he reckons he can also get his hands on a '10 model 610 from another dealer... not sure on price but I think in his email he said it was new.

Are there much differences between the engine in the te610 v te630? I'm also going to go have a ride of a dr650 and see what they are like. I'm actually pretty impressed with the dr650 in theory at least but obviously riding it is another matter so best to go check that out too. Thanks again, Lee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy View Post
G'day lstehbens, you could ask one of the Cairns inmates to go have a look for you, maybe shout them a beer. There are a few people up that way from the Oz section, then you may end up with someone to ride with as well.
lstehbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:55 AM   #23145
KIK ROX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Does anyone know if the power up resistor plug removes the rev limiter?
KIK ROX is offline   Reply With Quote