User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2012, 05:25 AM   #23176
tshelver
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
'06: part out or sell running or?

Just a quick thought here: my '06 lunched the cam chain last year. I've acquired new or had repaired (the crankcase built up and reground) all the parts necessary to get it running again.

Since then, my circumstances have changed. I'm now living in the Philippines, and am back for 2 or 3 weeks to dispose of everything I own. I'm not sure I have the time and patience to put the Husky back together, as I have a lot to do, and every week I am here costs me a lot (cheap motel, restaurant food and so on).

I can either put the bike back together and hope it all runs and can sell in the few days remaining, or sell the parts and farkles as is, or ship it in pieces to Philippines and hope to hell I can find some way of registering it there (not that easy, and will probably require substantial gratuities to the government or officials...).
The cost of shipping will probably be about the same as I paid for my YBR125G over there brand new, which works just fine for the road and traffic conditions. For the cost of getting it there and on the road, I can add a new XR200 to the stable, which IMHO will probably work just as well in the rougher conditions as the Husky with some respringing, and is substantially lighter on gas.

The YBR is way more practical, carries 3 people more easily then the Husky carries 2, robust subframe and suspension, 80 mpg, very good parts and service backup. Don't really need more power, given how tight and twisty most roads are, and the low general traffic speeds are on the main road.
Most vehicles average 40km/h due to animals, unmarked roadworks, kids, rice and copra drying in the road and all the rest, plus they can't afford the gas faster riding would require.

I've got a fair number of farkles: 5 gallon IMS tank, Tecate headlight (which I will probably take), Vapor computer, Renazco saddle, aluminum rear rack and saddle bag protectors, skidplate and so on.

I have new camchain, filters (air and oil), and so on all ready to go back in, or installed.

If I put it back together, the chain and sprockets are pretty grotty, so I'd likely have to drop the price to cover that.

I'll probably take the Vapor and Tecate with me to Phils if I part it out.

Any idea what I'd get for parting it out, if you've done this before?

TIA...
'06 Husky TE610 (gone)
tshelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:29 AM   #23177
SilverBullet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshelver View Post
...Any idea what I'd get for parting it out, if you've done this before?
I'd think it would take you more time to part it out than it would to put it back together and sell bike running and complete. But then you still need to allow time after assembling to sell it also, used bikes aren't usually a quick sell unless you price way low. So figure out what you'd get selling it running and then compare that to what you'd get selling it as a basket case. Sounds like time is money for you right now so might not be worth the hassle and risk.

_
1974 Suzuki TM400
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:35 AM   #23178
LRPct
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonXX View Post
Sound like two different issues to me. Bulbs burn out, especially ones that are on all the time.

First thing to get your speedo working again is disconnect your battery, count to thirty, reconnect the battery. If that doesn't "cure" your speedo issue there's another problem (this has happened on my SM as well as a couple other SM's that I ride with, of different years).
SOMETIMES 30seconds is not enough.. its taken mine a couple hours a couple times to clear and work.
LRPct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:53 AM   #23179
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,175
I'll try it again. Just did 1 min and didn't work. Like I said, everything looks fine, cables, connections, magnet, etc.. It's just the speedometer that's not working. This happen at 500 miles and was fixed at dealers during 600 mile service. I should have asked what they did.

Life is good!
1 lunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #23180
MCBAIN
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hello, new advrider member...my name is Matt..aka MCBAIN..
My background is mild trail riding and carving up the canyons on my supermoto... after a lot of research and plenty of driving around to look at crappy bikes i came across the gem i was looking for,.. i picked myself up a 2009 TE 610. Got an screeming deal on a spotless bike, 2000 miles, leo vince, handguards, skid plate, full set of racks and bags. The guy even threw in a hitch reciever rack, lift stand and even gave me back 200 bucks of what i just paid him so i could buy a new set of tires. Totally cool older guy, cant wait to send him pics of me loading it up and driving to the end of the earth. I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello. I look forward to utilizing the wealth of knowledge on here and hopefully rustleing up some dust on the trail with some of you..
MCBAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #23181
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBAIN View Post
My background is mild trail riding and carving up the canyons on my supermoto... after a lot of research and plenty of driving around to look at crappy bikes i came across the gem i was looking for,.. i picked myself up a 2009 TE 610. Got an screeming deal on a spotless bike, 2000 miles, leo vince, handguards, skid plate, full set of racks and bags. The guy even threw in a hitch reciever rack, lift stand and even gave me back 200 bucks of what i just paid him so i could buy a new set of tires. Totally cool older guy, cant wait to send him pics of me loading it up and driving to the end of the earth. I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello. I look forward to utilizing the wealth of knowledge on here and hopefully rustleing up some dust on the trail with some of you..
Welcome to the asylum!
Old 04-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #23182
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You picked the right bike if you want to do everything! Welcome! Where are you located?

Life is good!
Old 04-09-2012, 03:59 PM   #23183
MCBAIN
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks..
Colorado...I live up in Niwot if you are fimilar with the state..
MCBAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:07 PM   #23184
KDouble
AKA BeefCurtain

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Thanks..

Welcome I'm up in Fort Collins pm me if you want to ride sometime. I've been tearing up Pawnee lately as the foothills are closed. I'm on a 09 as well.
KDouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #23185
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 lunger View Post
I'll try it again. Just did 1 min and didn't work. Like I said, everything looks fine, cables, connections, magnet, etc.. It's just the speedometer that's not working. This happen at 500 miles and was fixed at dealers during 600 mile service. I should have asked what they did.

Life is good!
Unhooked the bat for as long as it took to mount a tire this evening and that fixed it. Also took my knuckle off mounting the AC 10.

Life is good!
Old 04-09-2012, 06:50 PM   #23186
toddler
Unpronouncible

Oddometer: 2,688
Quote:
Thanks..
We have a few of us on TE610's real close to you.
bikeSPD in Longmont.(pic below)

I'm in Pinewood Springs, work in longmont.(my bike below)

you picked a great bike for this state.

we will have to do a ride this summer.
toddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #23187
Taranis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Balance your wheels!

On the highway or surface streets at higher speed, my bike would get a lumpy feeling to the ride. Sometimes up and down, sometimes pitching.

Just put on new tires and threw in some Motion Pro LiteLocs for security airing down off road. I weighed them before installation and, knowing what I can feel in a car, decided that I would definitely feel 1.5 oz front and 2.75 oz rear on the bike. So I bought the RMATV wheel balancing stand and used it. It's a little goofy to use on the front, because of the seal design on the right side of the bike. Ideally, I'd machine a new mandrel for the balancer rod that fits into the bearing like the stock front axle. Without that, you have to just use the seal on that side to center on, but it's a single-lip seal so shouldn't be damaged. I'm convinced I got it "good enough". Works as intended on the rear. Taped the weights on really well with waterproof aluminum tape that matches the rim.

Rode it yesterday, and it's perfectly smooth, no more shaky-shake.

Sometimes, you don't know what your problem is until you solve it. So glad I did!

On the other hand, the original '06 Karoos were rocks and had already told me several times they wanted to kill me. Great to see them in the takeoff tire pile at the local tire shop!

I did the "MSR Jetting" recently, and I'm pretty happy. Haven't done anything to dial it in yet, but it definitely seems crisper, no popping on overrun, etc.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #23188
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Went to the local shop today and picked up a brand new take off tire. It might have had a couple of miles on it. Still had the rubber injection hairs all over it. It's a Bridgestone M403. I got it for $30 and figure if I only got 500-800 miles I did good, but I hope to get more. It's not DOT, but I ran down the road at 75-80mph and it felt fine. I'm geared low right now, so I won't see high mph any way. BTW, it's the front M403, anyone use these before? Like I said, I paid less than half of what they cost new, so if it's not a great tire, I don't really care. The reason I got is to kill it on a few rides I plan to take in the next couple of weeks. All topical New England trail conditions.

Life is good!
Old 04-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #23189
Xcuvator
Justa Venturer

Oddometer: 1,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
On the highway or surface streets at higher speed, my bike would get a lumpy feeling to the ride. Sometimes up and down, sometimes pitching.

Just put on new tires and threw in some Motion Pro LiteLocs for security airing down off road. I weighed them before installation and, knowing what I can feel in a car, decided that I would definitely feel 1.5 oz front and 2.75 oz rear on the bike. So I bought the RMATV wheel balancing stand and used it. It's a little goofy to use on the front, because of the seal design on the right side of the bike. Ideally, I'd machine a new mandrel for the balancer rod that fits into the bearing like the stock front axle. Without that, you have to just use the seal on that side to center on, but it's a single-lip seal so shouldn't be damaged. I'm convinced I got it "good enough". Works as intended on the rear. Taped the weights on really well with waterproof aluminum tape that matches the rim.

Rode it yesterday, and it's perfectly smooth, no more shaky-shake.

Sometimes, you don't know what your problem is until you solve it. So glad I did!

On the other hand, the original '06 Karoos were rocks and had already told me several times they wanted to kill me. Great to see them in the takeoff tire pile at the local tire shop!

I did the "MSR Jetting" recently, and I'm pretty happy. Haven't done anything to dial it in yet, but it definitely seems crisper, no popping on overrun, etc.
With a tire iron, you can have that seal out of there faster than I can type this.

So much riding-so little time
Xcuvator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:05 AM   #23190
kpt4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,671
I'm looking for the left side threaded mirror perch, the piece that is the back half of the clutch lever mount, with the tapped hole in the top that you screw your mirror into. My threads are all boogered up.

Anybody have one? They are like $40 from Halls...
kpt4321 is offline   Reply With Quote