Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2012, 09:40 AM   #23326
BrandonR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 lunger View Post
Is that whats in the back of old tv's? I tried to fix a tv years ago and got the shock of my life and it wasn't even plugged in! I really thought I was dead!

Life is good!

The ones in a TV are charged to very high voltages. The location where this one is in the bike never sees more than 15v or so so you're not going to get shocked any more than you would working with the battery.

Yes, Electrolytic caps can explode if installed backwards, but so can batteries. I've had to clean up after a car battery before that exploded, a total mess.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #23327
mustdust
boon

Oddometer: 4
Recent Purchase

I bought my 610 off of this site about 6 months ago and absolutely love it. I have taken many a trip out here in Southern California and would very much like to send some pics in the near future. Good idea putting up this thread.

VR./

Mustdust
mustdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #23328
ELM0T0L0C0
Less Talk More Throttle

Oddometer: 184
Question Sub Frame and Battery box

So I am planning 2k mile back country Oregon ride for June and am planning on riding the newish to me 610. Ol 610 and I have played locally but no long distance stuff. So I usually carry tubes in fender bags, my tank bag and a giant loop. Otherwise if it don't fit I don't need it.

I have already cracked the battery box. Got a buddy lined up to weld that, and at the same time was wanting to get the group consensus. Do I reinforce the sub frame? If so can some one point me to a post detailing the best way to do this. Lastly should a worry about the foot peg bolts and if so whats the recommended fix?

Just ordered the seat concepts seat. getting ready to mount fat bars, cycra pro bends, and some heating elements. After that some new 606 shoes and I am gonna call her a long distance pig. My DR is already giving me pitiful "you dont love me like you used" to looks.

Thanks all

Berkeley

2006 TE610, 2005 DR650, 2006 CRF450X, 2003 SV1000, 1977 XS650s

ELM0T0L0C0 screwed with this post 05-07-2012 at 05:17 PM
ELM0T0L0C0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:11 PM   #23329
K7MDL
TE450, TE610

Oddometer: 1,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELM0T0L0C0 View Post
So I am planning 2k back country Oregon ride for June and am planning on riding the newish to me 610. Ol 610 and I have played locally but no long distance stuff. So I usually carry tubes in fender bags, my tank bag and a giant loop. Otherwise if it don't fit I don't need it.

I have already cracked the battery box. Got a buddy lined up to weld that, and at the same time was wanting to get the group consensus. Do I reinforce the sub frame? If so can some one point me to a post detailing the best way to do this. Lastly should a worry about the foot peg bolts and if so whats the recommended fix?

Just ordered the seat concepts seat. getting ready to mount fat bars, cycra pro bends, and some heating elements. After that some new 606 shoes and I am gonna call her a long distance pig. My DR is already giving me pitiful "you dont love me like you used" to looks.

Thanks all

Berkeley
Take a close look at your upper chain roller weld while you are in there. It is not very strong,, easier to beef it up before it breaks off.

I would think wit the giant loop there is no need to doign anything special to your subframe. If you crash alot and damage your subframe that way, then .....

Drill and bolt your fender bag to the fender, it is just a matter of time before it pops off. I have one in Moab somewhere.

Foot peg bolts. Take them off and check for bent bolts, replace them wiht 12.9 hardened bolts. Ensure the peg mount fits flat against the frame mount points. Some grinding may be needed.

Use blue thread locker on your subframe bolts. Upgrade those also to 10.9 or better. I have seen them fall out and bent on several bikes now.

Carry extra main fuses just in case.
K7MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #23330
KIK ROX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
I've been enjoying my 610 more and more ever since I got my license a few weeks ago. Here's a pic from my ride on Sunday (near the Monocacy River aqueduct):

Also, I got one of those tractor manual storage tubes (to be used as a tool tube) and mounted it under the tail on the right side, it mirrors the muffler. It sort of looks stock and is out of the way of the Wolfman E12 saddlebags that I got as a gift yesterday. I'll see if I have a pic somewhere.
KIK ROX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:49 PM   #23331
Mgizler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Got my new to me 610 today

Hey guys! Well my wife surprised me today with a bike in the garage!!! I was planning on picking up my buddies 2006 TE610, but only when I saved all the money. However, She had my buddy drop it off at the house while I was out of town, and she paid the difference so I could have it on my birthday!!!!!

Heres the rundown,

2006 TE610 with 1865 original miles.
All stock
Needs a good cleaning
Carb needs gone through, (leaking from the carb housing when fed with fuel)

Paid $$1800.00 for it.

Will post pics later on tonight.
Mgizler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #23332
John_L
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
Congrats, fantastic deal and wife apparently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizler View Post
Hey guys! Well my wife surprised me today with a bike in the garage!!! I was planning on picking up my buddies 2006 TE610, but only when I saved all the money. However, She had my buddy drop it off at the house while I was out of town, and she paid the difference so I could have it on my birthday!!!!!

Heres the rundown,

2006 TE610 with 1865 original miles.
All stock
Needs a good cleaning
Carb needs gone through, (leaking from the carb housing when fed with fuel)

Paid $$1800.00 for it.

Will post pics later on tonight.
John_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #23333
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,175
I've ended up with both these filters. 154 was the 610 filter, then 563 came into the picture w/ the 630. What's the best one for the 610?

Life is good!
1 lunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:33 AM   #23334
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,446
I've always used the HF154 and have had no issues.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:56 PM   #23335
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Edit: I found the answer I was looking for. The 08-09s have a different pump and filter. Theres talk of bypass and springs. I don't know for sure, but Motosportz has the 08-09 listed under 563.

The 563 is recommend by Rick Ramsey. I had them side by side with the filter cover off the bike and the 563 fits the around the nipple inside tighter. The only difference between the two, is the size of the opening. I decided to use the 563 this time.

Life is good!

1 lunger screwed with this post 05-09-2012 at 04:45 PM
Old 05-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #23336
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 980
Dry weight?

Anyone know the dry weight of a TE610? The manual says "Kerb" weight is 310... assume that's with all fluids, except gas. However, Rick Ramsey said this:
I emptied the gas tank and weighed the bike; it weighed 296 pounds. The bike was stone stock with no mods, fluids topped up, and the gas tank was empty. After filling with 3.25 gallons of gas, the TE weighed 317 pounds.

I figure the gas weighs about 20-23 pounds. So, that should put the wet weight around 330ish. How is Rick's measurement so different? He seems to be a pretty particular guy, so I would think he weighed it correctly.

Based on his 296 curb weight, that would put the dry weight around 290ish.

Anyway, I'm just curious.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #23337
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 lunger View Post
Edit: I found the answer I was looking for. The 08-09s have a different pump and filter. Theres talk of bypass and springs. I don't know for sure, but Motosportz has the 08-09 listed under 563.

The 563 is recommend by Rick Ramsey. I had them side by side with the filter cover off the bike and the 563 fits the around the nipple inside tighter. The only difference between the two, is the size of the opening. I decided to use the 563 this time.

Life is good!
I had gotten a bunch of oil filters with my 610 when I bought it, so you had me curious. I just went and looked and all mine are 563's and I have an 09 TE-610. I'm glad you pointed this out as I may not have realized that when I went to purchase more.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:41 PM   #23338
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayron View Post
Anyone know the dry weight of a TE610? The manual says "Kerb" weight is 310... assume that's with all fluids, except gas. However, Rick Ramsey said this:
I emptied the gas tank and weighed the bike; it weighed 296 pounds. The bike was stone stock with no mods, fluids topped up, and the gas tank was empty. After filling with 3.25 gallons of gas, the TE weighed 317 pounds.

I figure the gas weighs about 20-23 pounds. So, that should put the wet weight around 330ish. How is Rick's measurement so different? He seems to be a pretty particular guy, so I would think he weighed it correctly.

Based on his 296 curb weight, that would put the dry weight around 290ish.

Anyway, I'm just curious.
They are like most women, a few lbs heavier than they tell you. I tried to get the weight using our bathroom scale, but I broke it. After that, the wife frowns upon me using our house scales. I would say 300 ish w/out all the extra crap, ie passenger pegs, smog box, etc...

Life is good!
Old 05-09-2012, 11:29 PM   #23339
BiG DoM
African Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,457
The Owners Handbook - the blue one has the stated weights. Not at hand at present but I recall a figure of 130kg (dry?)

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... 'Fuck, what a trip!'

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcyclists.
BiG DoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:11 AM   #23340
Trail Boss
World's fastest slowrider

Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayron View Post
Anyone know the dry weight of a TE610? The manual says "Kerb" weight is 310...
Motorcycle manufacturers are notorious for publishing inaccurate weights for their models. They most often publish a fictional, undefined "dry" weight. Presumably it is the weight of the motorcycle without any fluids in it whatsoever (no gas, oil, fork oil, water, etc), but we don't really know what "dry" weight means.

Sometimes manufacturers will report "curb" weight or some other undefined term, leaving owners to guess as to the actual weight of the motorcycle in a ready-to-ride state.

Since manufacturers don't report the true weight of their motorcycles most motorcycle magazines will often report the "wet" weight of the bikes they test - i.e. they weigh the motorcycle on certified scales with the motorcycle full of fluid and in a ready-to-ride state. Which is how it should be reported, IMHO, since that is the actual weight of the motorcycle when we are riding it.

The wet weight of the TE610 is in the 317 -320 lbs range.

"Nice bike. Have you taken her to Mexico? All bikes want their owners to take them there" - tricepilot

Texas Adventure

Trail Boss screwed with this post 05-10-2012 at 12:15 PM
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote