Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2012, 07:29 AM   #23341
Taranis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
When I got my completely stock '06, the first thing I did was fill up the tank and put it on a couple of race car corner scales. 335 lb wet.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #23342
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 1,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
When I got my completely stock '06, the first thing I did was fill up the tank and put it on a couple of race car corner scales. 335 lb wet.
Seems odd that's Rick Ramsey's '08 would weigh 18 pounds less.

Again, I'm not overly concerned with this- I just find the variance strange.
(And, I realize that most/many posted weights from the manufacturer are bogus.)

My opinion (and, this is really worth nothing) is that they should post wet weight with 1 gallon of gas. That way, a bike with a larger tank isn't penalized in the comparos.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:30 PM   #23343
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayron View Post

Again, I'm not overly concerned with this- I just find the variance strange.

Kind of like a dyno, they're all a little off from one another.

My 2007 610 was 360 pounds on a certified scale, bark busters, dirtbagz and racks,stock tail rack, 5 gallon tank filled to the top and a Renazco seat.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:01 PM   #23344
gunnr
optimsm

Oddometer: 290
Was hoping to get some answers to a few questions about my new to me 08 610. The bike has the LV X3 slip on, I would like to quiet it up some. I did some searching and see a few homemade options as well as the LV 94db quiet insert. Does anybody have any details on what they have done? I was going to try to fab something up. Yeah I know "loud pipes save lives".

Also the front end is stiff. The PO owner said he raised the oil level. He was a bigger guy. I have read to change the fork oil to a 5wt and lower the level to soften the front end some. The book says 100mm. I have read to try 120mm and another said he went 200mm. I am 200lbs in street clothes. Since there is no compression adjusters, I guess you can't really set the sag? At some point I may have some work done but just need to get it working better for now.

The bike has some vibration on the pavement (lots) above 50mph. It has new MT21's with rim locks and what I think are bb's or pellets in the rear. I can hear something rolling in the tire when it's on a stand. I suspect he put them in there for some balancing. I was going to pull the tube and change it. My question is with rim locks? Are you guys balancing the wheels or do you have any problems? I don't bother on my other bikes (KLR, 950) and don't have a problem. I thought about taking the rim locks off. I hear how everyone one says they can cruise down the interstate all day, on this bike no way.

Thanks for all the great information here,

Another 610 NOOB
gunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #23345
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnr View Post
Are you guys balancing the wheels or do you have any problems?
I balance using spoke weights.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:32 PM   #23346
BrandonR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Was hoping to get some answers to a few questions about my new to me 08 610. The bike has the LV X3 slip on, I would like to quiet it up some. I did some searching and see a few homemade options as well as the LV 94db quiet insert. Does anybody have any details on what they have done? I was going to try to fab something up. Yeah I know "loud pipes save lives".

Also the front end is stiff. The PO owner said he raised the oil level. He was a bigger guy. I have read to change the fork oil to a 5wt and lower the level to soften the front end some. The book says 100mm. I have read to try 120mm and another said he went 200mm. I am 200lbs in street clothes. Since there is no compression adjusters, I guess you can't really set the sag? At some point I may have some work done but just need to get it working better for now.

The bike has some vibration on the pavement (lots) above 50mph. It has new MT21's with rim locks and what I think are bb's or pellets in the rear. I can hear something rolling in the tire when it's on a stand. I suspect he put them in there for some balancing. I was going to pull the tube and change it. My question is with rim locks? Are you guys balancing the wheels or do you have any problems? I don't bother on my other bikes (KLR, 950) and don't have a problem. I thought about taking the rim locks off. I hear how everyone one says they can cruise down the interstate all day, on this bike no way.

Another 610 NOOB

He probably put dynabeads in the tube. I use them with good results. One possibility is that he may not have put in enough to offset the weight of the rimlocks. I don't have rimlocks so I haven't had to deal with that much extra weight.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #23347
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,213
Quote:

Another 610 NOOB
For the shake at 50mph + I would try and reset the wheel, bounce the front end before tightening pinch bolts and make sure the triple tree is level & torqued to spec. I use rim locks and beads with great results also ( I run non dot at 12 psi and can run at speed with 0 shake, these are smooth bikes ). Look for the red dot ( inline w/ valve stem ) and make sure the wheels on the rim in the right spot. I have a db killer for the x3 you can have for shipping. I use the short one w/ spark arrestor, just let me know. Hope you can sort this out. Oh, and welcome!

Life is good!

1 lunger screwed with this post 05-11-2012 at 04:27 PM
1 lunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:09 PM   #23348
gunnr
optimsm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 lunger View Post
For the shake at 50mph + I would try and reset the wheel, bounce the front end before tightening pinch bolts and make sure the triple tree is level & torqued to spec. I use rim locks and beads with great results also ( I run non dot at 12 psi and can run at speed with 0 shake, these are smooth bikes ). Look for the red dot ( inline w/ valve stem ) and make sure the wheels on the rim in the right spot. I have a db killer for the x3 you can have for shipping. I use the short one w/ spark arrestor, just let me know. Hope you can sort this out. Oh, and welcome!

Life is good!
Thanks for the replies, I did see that the forks weren't parallel. The bars seemed tweaked on straight roads. I straightened that up and hopefully that was the problem. I haven't heard about dynabeads, I know my son runs airsoft pellets in his Jeep tires. How do you know how much to add to the tire?

1 Lunger, Is that db killer the LV or the db Dawg?

As far as changing the fork oil, can anyone tell me if that is a have to pull the forks off job?

Thanks
Old 05-11-2012, 05:35 PM   #23349
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for the replies, I did see that the forks weren't parallel. The bars seemed tweaked on straight roads. I straightened that up and hopefully that was the problem. I haven't heard about dynabeads, I know my son runs airsoft pellets in his Jeep tires. How do you know how much to add to the tire?

1 Lunger, Is that db killer the LV or the db Dawg?

As far as changing the fork oil, can anyone tell me if that is a have to pull the forks off job?

Thanks
I have the set of db killers that come with the x3. I use the short ( loud ) one. The long one is yours if you want. I'll post a pic when I get home. The Dyna beads = 2 or 2.5 oz in front and 3 or 3.5 in rear if you run rim locks. I have been peppered by them while setting the bead on rim because I forget about them. I have no idea how many oz are left in my tubes, but the bike still runs smooth. FYI, setting the bead with tire on the ground, BIG psi and the valve out of the stem, those beads are like f@%king bee stings!!!

Life is good!
Old 05-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #23350
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

LV db killer. I think I have another one with the end cut off for use with spark arrestor.

Life is good!
Old 05-12-2012, 02:00 AM   #23351
Taranis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
The bike has some vibration on the pavement (lots) above 50mph. It has new MT21's with rim locks and what I think are bb's or pellets in the rear. I can hear something rolling in the tire when it's on a stand. I suspect he put them in there for some balancing. I was going to pull the tube and change it. My question is with rim locks? Are you guys balancing the wheels or do you have any problems?
I had that shake with no rim locks. Added Motion Pro Lite Locs and balanced the wheels with RMATV's $70 stand. No more shake. Very happy.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:48 AM   #23352
kpt4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,671
Quote:
Note that it's tough to diagnose a front end that "feels stiff." That could just be a rider who is used to a softer bike (like a KLR, DR or a stock DRZ). It could be something broken, or it could be spring rates, or it could be damping.

I would definitely change the fork oil (and change viscosity if you want to) and re-set the oil level. I went to 100mm on mine, but you can definitely try 120 or something. 200m sounds crazy, but if that works for somebody, so be it.

Sag and compression adjusters are completely unrelated. Compression adjusters set the compression DAMPIING (mostly low speed, but both), sag is a function of spring rate and preload. To adjust sag, you change the length of the preload spacers on the springs (and to a much lesser extent, the air level).
kpt4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:19 AM   #23353
Ditch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,051
Another cause of front end stiction is tightening the axle pinch bolts without working the forks up and down a few times to set them before tightening.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #23354
gunnr
optimsm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpt4321 View Post
Note that it's tough to diagnose a front end that "feels stiff." That could just be a rider who is used to a softer bike (like a KLR, DR or a stock DRZ). It could be something broken, or it could be spring rates, or it could be damping.

I would definitely change the fork oil (and change viscosity if you want to) and re-set the oil level. I went to 100mm on mine, but you can definitely try 120 or something. 200m sounds crazy, but if that works for somebody, so be it.

Sag and compression adjusters are completely unrelated. Compression adjusters set the compression DAMPIING (mostly low speed, but both), sag is a function of spring rate and preload. To adjust sag, you change the length of the preload spacers on the springs (and to a much lesser extent, the air level).
My bad, I knew sag is a function of the springs and preload. I was typing and not thinking.....

I really haven't had a chance to ride the bike much, I put about 200 miles on last weekend and really started noticing a few things that I need to sort out.

thanks guys
Old 05-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #23355
ogri88
n00b

Oddometer: 5
PIVOTPEGZ for TE610 - For Sale

Well I sold my trusty '07 TE 610 and am looking for a good home for the PivotPegz I had fitted on it for 3 years - took em off as I accepted a low-ball offer from someone who was looking for a 'commuter bike' of all things. Poor bike, and I'd spent a lot of time and $$$ setting it up as a Baja beastie too

New at $150 but I'm open to offers in the $90 range or so - at which price I'll ship to you free (in the USA), $10 extra worldwide..
ogri88 is offline   Reply With Quote