Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2012, 12:38 PM   #23461
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahonk View Post
There is a jd jet kit in the carb right now... If that helps any..

Stock always worked good for me, below sea level to 14k.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:45 PM   #23462
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,216
Anyone have the stock bar clamp for TE 610 (2009 if it matters) laying around that they don't need? I bent the bolt that mounts to the top triple tree. It's not bad, but I notice it. I think the rubber mounts are fine, just the left bolt bent from a get off last year. Or what is the go to aftermarket set up everyone is using? Thanks

Life is good!
1 lunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:12 PM   #23463
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
A pic

Pyramid Lake, Nevada, north of Reno.
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #23464
mahonk
n00b

Oddometer: 6
maybe clutch slipping?

could my clutch be slipping? i know with a car when your in the taller gears and step on it you can get a slip, but usually it keeps slipping... the reason i say this is when you let off the throttle it seems to grab or give a little more power as your rolling off the throttle.. this all happens only in 5th 6th.. and usualy up hill...
mahonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #23465
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Stock always worked good for me, below sea level to 14k.
Same for me from the Ocean in Baja to over 14,000 ft in the San Jaun range in Colorado - except I run the JD jets and needle on my 07.
Flashman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:29 PM   #23466
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
SilverBullet et al have it right; sounds like it's too lean. Classic symptom. When you close the throttle you are momentarily cutting off some of the air supply while the fuel that is coming up from the float bowl still has some momentum, making it run momentarily normal. Raise the needle(lower the needle clip) a notch or even two.

A slipping clutch will slip once it's slipping, until you let off the throttle. There should be no mistaking that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahonk View Post
could my clutch be slipping? i know with a car when your in the taller gears and step on it you can get a slip, but usually it keeps slipping... the reason i say this is when you let off the throttle it seems to grab or give a little more power as your rolling off the throttle.. this all happens only in 5th 6th.. and usualy up hill...
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:20 PM   #23467
KDouble
AKA BeefCurtain

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 lunger View Post
Anyone have the stock bar clamp for TE 610 (2009 if it matters) laying around that they don't need? I bent the bolt that mounts to the top triple tree. It's not bad, but I notice it. I think the rubber mounts are fine, just the left bolt bent from a get off last year. Or what is the go to aftermarket set up everyone is using? Thanks

Life is good!
I might 2009 to boot I'll look this weekend pm you if I do
KDouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:58 PM   #23468
SilverBullet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
Since there is less dense air at higher elevations, shouldn't the bike be running richer at higher altitude? That is if he went up 3k ft in elevation and not down?
Yes it would run richer at higher elevation. I assumed he went down to 3,000 ft as lean condition ensued but after re-reading he didn't say. Only that he is at 3,000 ft now. More info needed from OP.

_
1974 Suzuki TM400
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:17 PM   #23469
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet View Post
Yes it would run richer at higher elevation. I assumed he went down to 3,000 ft as lean condition ensued but after re-reading he didn't say. Only that he is at 3,000 ft now. More info needed from OP.

_
Gotcha. Yeah its possible he went down to 3k ft from higher elevation too. Since I'm in GA at about 700-800ft, I usually assume everyone went up in elevation when they talk about 3k ft.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:08 PM   #23470
poppy
Slow and Steady

Oddometer: 2,212
Had this happen on my last ride, anyone else had it happen. Its was pretty wet and greasy, noticed a vibration in the bike on the way out of the bush. Didn't notice it when i pulled up to have a look for something loose and with all the mud built up around the bottom of the forks, it was not obvious. Got home, washed the bike and seen it sitting there all on its lonesome. I may have bottomed it out jumping a tree across the track not sure, a 20mm dia vine grabbed my bars and pegged me into the boon docks just after. I dont think there is much oil left in the fork leg, hard to tell, the mud soaked it up, so maybe that was the vibration. Wore out a set of rear brake pads as well that were only about 4 rides old.

poppy screwed with this post 05-30-2012 at 10:37 PM
poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:45 AM   #23471
Taranis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 lunger View Post

Life is good!
On my '06, the bolts that hold the bar clamp to the triple are standard metric bolts. Any decent hardware store should have them.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:52 AM   #23472
Taranis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy View Post
I dont think there is much oil left in the fork leg, hard to tell, the mud soaked it up, so maybe that was the vibration.
This one doesn't hold the oil in the fork, it just kinda reduces the amount of dirt getting to the "real" seal higher up. Do the film/business card trick on the actual oil seals (might as well do both sides) and clean everything really good, put it back together. Keep an eye on it. Check your oil level if it makes you feel better.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:57 PM   #23473
poppy
Slow and Steady

Oddometer: 2,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
This one doesn't hold the oil in the fork, it just kinda reduces the amount of dirt getting to the "real" seal higher up. Do the film/business card trick on the actual oil seals (might as well do both sides) and clean everything really good, put it back together. Keep an eye on it. Check your oil level if it makes you feel better.

I am pretty confident that the seals are toast( bugger to, because they are not very old), i realize its only the dust seal, but i have not ever had one just pop out before. It took me 2 washes to get the bike clean and i am still not happy. The second was a pull it apart job to get the crap out of the nooks and crannies. This stuff sticks like potters clay with a blend of sand and set like concrete. Will pull the seals out shortly and throw in a fresh set. Hopefully the vibration will disappear as well.
poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:37 PM   #23474
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
On my '06, the bolts that hold the bar clamp to the triple are standard metric bolts. Any decent hardware store should have them.
Just realized that when I was loosening them up and snugging the back up. I'm going the replace the rubber mounts while I'm doing the bolt. I have Rox risers so it's a pain, but I'll feel better about it after. Thanks for the tip.

Life is good!
1 lunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:01 PM   #23475
stujamur
Havin the craic

Oddometer: 1,230
Luggage options help !

Seems like dirtbagz or gl coyote is the go.

Need to carry some stuff for overnighters, tent,sleeping bag etc .

Giant loop coyote - I don't have passenger pegs - how does the giant loop attatch ?

Dirtbagz - is scout or ranger best fit for te ? Thinking if i go the option could buy optional top bag or strap matt n duffell bag across top ??? But maybe this would cause to much stress on subframe ?

Any tips here please !