Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2012, 08:53 AM   #23536
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,183
Ordered the JD surge x 6 tuner the other day for the 610. I know there is detailed documentation on this for the 630, but anyone got the scoop on the setting used on the 610 in PU mode w/ LV X 3 slipon and airbox opened up a bit. I know it's not as nessisary for the 610 as it is for the 630, but I'm looking forward to a richer running bike and the ability to give it a boost of fuel in certain rpm stages. I'm told that I will see improvement in response when lugging to wacking WOT. I'm doing this a lot in the woods. 2nd gear in tight turn low speed then WOT. It's good now, but I'm heavy and feel a bit more fuel at that moment will make for a crisper exit. What says you??? Thanks.

Life is good!
1 lunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #23537
Mgizler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Started the teardown

Well I started the teardown today as I am waiting on my parts to show up. I thought I would check the woodruff key on the counterbalancer while I was in there. The shifting of the bike has been really stiff and hard to get in neutral.

Here are a few pics (crappy cell phone)

Verifying timing marks

Now I am waiting for my boys to wake up before I take the impact gun to her.

To be continued....
Mgizler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:51 AM   #23538
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizler View Post
Well I started the teardown today as I am waiting on my parts to show up. I thought I would check the woodruff key on the counterbalancer while I was in there. The shifting of the bike has been really stiff and hard to get in neutral.

Here are a few pics (crappy cell phone)
Verifying timing marks
Now I am waiting for my boys to wake up before I take the impact gun to her.
To be continued....
I wish my phone took that quality of photo!
To fix the shifting all you need to do is adjust the clutch free play, its that screw and lock nut in the middle of the clutch hub.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:55 AM   #23539
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 lunger View Post
I've reinstalled mine several times and never had to do anything like this??? Yes, return the tensioner to full in position, mount to cylinder head, insert spring and cap bolt, but to " removing phillips head cover screw to access plunger screw head " is news to me. Are you talking about the 610 or the 630? As soon as the spring puts any pressure on the mechanism you can feel and hear it advance.

Life is good!
This is a 610 thread isn't it?
You have a different style tensioner than me.
Here's mine:
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #23540
Mgizler
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
I wish my phone took that quality of photo!
To fix the shifting all you need to do is adjust the clutch free play, its that screw and lock nut in the middle of the clutch hub.
I was going to try that also, but I read on another thread that someone had the same symptoms as me and their key was sheared. I figured since I am doing a timing chain and head gasket, I might as well check the key while im in there.

Thanks for the heads up though. I might just have to adjust it while im putting it back together.

Mark
Old 06-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #23541
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,862
Quote:

Not in my experience, it was always a worn basket bushing.

Mgizler, put the basket back on with the center hub and tighten the nut up, check for wobble, grab the basket at 3 and 9, push/pull, if it rocks back and forth the bushing that I see left on the shaft is worn out.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:02 AM   #23542
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIK ROX View Post
All this talk about cam chain wear got to me. I just went out and checked mine: 6500 miles, 7 clicks. How worried should a person in my situation be if they were planning to do the CDT next month?

Also, that spring gets wiggly when you try to reinsert it into the tensioner housing, right? You just have to be careful not to bend/crimp it?

Depends, you riding from home? CDT is what, 2500 miles by itself? I'd over maintain that thing if it was mine, left side screens, right side screen and clutch bushing, top end roller tips/cam followers, check the rocker bushings, replace the cam bearings and most definitely replace the rear wheel bearings plus carry another set.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #23543
Mgizler
Adventurer

Thanks larryboy. Ill check that when I am reinstalling the clutch.

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Not in my experience, it was always a worn basket bushing.

Mgizler, put the basket back on with the center hub and tighten the nut up, check for wobble, grab the basket at 3 and 9, push/pull, if it rocks back and forth the bushing that I see left on the shaft is worn out.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #23544
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
This is a 610 thread isn't it?
You have a different style tensioner than me.
Here's mine:
Yes, I guess I do. I remove the spring retaining bolt and spring, remove for cylinder, check " clicks ", hold the lock/lever and slid tensioner back to base, reinstall to cylinder, reinstall spring and spring retaining bolt.

Life is good!
Old 06-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #23545
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Just put the JD tuner on the 610 and all I can say is wow! It's made a big difference. The whole rpm range is so much crisper! The red/blue setting which acts like an accelerator pump has this thing chomping at the bit to GO! Any where in rpm range in 2nd gear I whack it and get instant response and front wheel jumps off the ground! I'm very happy with the unit!

Life is good!
Old 06-07-2012, 03:35 PM   #23546
bitwrench
ADV SUMO

Oddometer: 195
Fool consumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 lunger View Post
Just put the JD tuner on the 610 and all I can say is wow! It's made a big difference. The whole rpm range is so much crisper! The red/blue setting which acts like an accelerator pump has this thing chomping at the bit to GO! Any where in rpm range in 2nd gear I whack it and get instant response and front wheel jumps off the ground! I'm very happy with the unit!

Life is good!
Carefull on longer rides, your milage is going to drop. Caught me out when I started adding performance :]
bitwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #23547
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
I see in his sig that fritzco's is an 00.

Did the older bikes have a 'problem' with cam chains as well?
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:57 PM   #23548
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIK ROX View Post
All this talk about cam chain wear got to me. I just went out and checked mine: 6500 miles, 7 clicks. How worried should a person in my situation be if they were planning to do the CDT next month?
With new chain it can be 3-5 clicks, 7 clicks is just getting seated in. I think they go to 14. My first chain wen't 13k but changed way too soon, 2nd one has 15k still fine.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:25 AM   #23549
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitwrench View Post
Carefull on longer rides, your milage is going to drop. Caught me out when I started adding performance :]
Would you share your settings with me? What mods do you have?

Life is good!
Old 06-08-2012, 05:44 AM   #23550
BiG DoM
African Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
With new chain it can be 3-5 clicks, 7 clicks is just getting seated in. I think they go to 14. My first chain wen't 13k but changed way too soon, 2nd one has 15k still fine.
Pulled mine a few days ago - counted 16 grooves in total including the first (was at 5-6 clicks).

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... 'Fuck, what a trip!'

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcyclists.

BiG DoM screwed with this post 06-09-2012 at 11:08 PM
BiG DoM is offline   Reply With Quote