Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #23686
sapienwaste
gahhhhhhhhhhh.

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcuvator View Post
That's true D&G, but there is a better than a 50% chance that he adjusted his valves at the end of the exhaust stroke the first time. Could be both?
I'm embarrassed to say this is likely.
sapienwaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #23687
Mgizler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Thanks larryboy. That's how it was before I tore everyting down. New barnett cable should be here Friday. Since its the cable that's 1 1/2 longer, do you think the same cable route would be good, or go outside of the bars.

Thanks,
Mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Like this up top:

Then it goes to the inside of the right radiator.
Mgizler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:32 AM   #23688
rocky mtn nut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
lights

I like the round headlights that Larry boy had on his te I have an 07 that's red and black does anyone have a pic of a Baha'i design on there te (the square one) I want to see one in red, black, or white and how it looks.
rocky mtn nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:18 AM   #23689
Mgizler
Adventurer

First Run After Cam Chain

Okay guys,
I am not done yet, but thought I would quickly throw the carb and tank on to see if she would fire up. Well after a few minutes and some card adjustments, she came to life!!

Now I know what the noisy cam chain sounded like! I wasn't sure of the sound before I tore her down, but know its as quiet as can be. Sounds pretty smooth so far.

I still am waiting on the new clutch Cable(coming Friday) and double, triple checking everything before I go for a shakedown run.

Do any of you know what the operating temp of this motor is? Im currently running engine Ice and feel like it gets pretty hot. And even before the tear down, the fan would kick on after about 30-60 seconds of idling.

I mean, I know that if im not moving it is going to heat up quick, But I guess I am comparing it to my yz 450f that didnt have a catch can. So I expected it to start to boil over after about 30 of idling in the heat.

Im also worried that the head gasket might be leaking a little again. I cant take it out and ride until I get the cable to tell for sure. The last leak didn't show up until I was riding it hard and looked down to see it running down the side of the cylinder.

Anyhow, Ill give a full report after everything is all put together. And I am also working on a write-up of the teardown.

Mgizler screwed with this post 06-18-2012 at 12:25 PM
Old 06-18-2012, 01:42 PM   #23690
John_L
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosgsr View Post
So what is the overall consensus on aftermarket seats. I would like a tall seat that is comfortable and still somewhat narrow, any input? The tall narrow seat I currently have feels like Im sitting on a 2x4.
I've got a GUTS tall foam if you are interested. PM me and maybe we can work out a deal. It came to me with the purchase of a bunch of other stuff and I'm not going to use it. I make my own seats.
John_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #23691
awshouse
Downwardly mobile

Oddometer: 435
I'm interested in adding a pad to my seat (Renazco leather). Love the seat, but I'm planning a 5 day road tour and need more cushion. Who has a pad they can recommend?

Thanks, Andy
Old 06-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #23692
singletrak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Do any of you know what the operating temp of this motor is? Im currently running engine Ice and feel like it gets pretty hot. And even before the tear down, the fan would kick on after about 30-60 seconds of idling.
Have you checked the impeller nut? Mine was doing some of the same things, running hotter than I thought it should run.
When I took the water pump apart, the impeller was just floating in the housing. The PO must have overtightened the impeller nut and ended up snapping the end of the shaft off. I had to buy a new cam shaft and impeller

Now it runs cooler like it is supposed to.

Good luck,
Singletrak
singletrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #23693
KDouble
AKA BeefCurtain

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizler View Post
Okay guys,
I am not done yet, but thought I would quickly throw the carb and tank on to see if she would fire up. Well after a few minutes and some card adjustments, she came to life!!

Now I know what the noisy cam chain sounded like! I wasn't sure of the sound before I tore her down, but know its as quiet as can be. Sounds pretty smooth so far.

I still am waiting on the new clutch Cable(coming Friday) and double, triple checking everything before I go for a shakedown run.

I mean, I know that if im not moving it is going to heat up quick, But I guess I am comparing it to my yz 450f that didnt have a catch can. So I expected it to start to boil over after about 30 of idling in the heat.

Im also worried that the head gasket might be leaking a little again. I cant take it out and ride until I get the cable to tell for sure. The last leak didn't show up until I was riding it hard and looked down to see it running down the side of the cylinder.

Anyhow, Ill give a full report after everything is all put together. And I am also working on a write-up of the teardown.
Look forward to the write up of the can chain replacement. Think I'm about due just hit 10,000
KDouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:58 PM   #23694
Mgizler
Adventurer

Everything seemed to be intact when I had the cam out for the chain replacement. Nothing seemed unusual. Impeller was nice and tight on the Cam and moved very good when I rotated the engine over checking the timing marks. I was also thinking that it could be jetting, but it is spot on with the factory specs right now.

The engine does get very hot, although the fan does not kick on when driving around, only when stopped. Now I have not been out to do a shakedown run yet to see if the head will leak again.

And the engine stays very warm for a long time after shutdown.

Im also thinking that there could be an air pocket somewhere in the cooling system. This happens a lot on automobiles when flushing out coolant and putting in new. ie. waterpump replacement, or thermostat..... you get the idea.

Still scratching my head on this one. And still trying to find a number that these engines are supposed to run at, so I can see where Im at in comparison.

I am kind of nervous that it will. I have been reading too much about 06 te610's with head gasket issues due to a head surface screw up from the factory. I read somewhere , maybe on thumper talk, that there were a significant amount of 06's that had the same issue as mine. So we shall see. I hope I fixed the problem with a new gasket, because I do not want to send it out to get machined.

I will keep you guys updated.

Thanks,
Mark

P.S. BeefCurtain, I will try to get the write up on the forum soon, I am going out of town on friday until the 2nd. BUt if you decide to tear into it and need anything please feel free to get in touch with me. call me if you want also, 712-314-9388

Quote:
Originally Posted by singletrak View Post
Have you checked the impeller nut? Mine was doing some of the same things, running hotter than I thought it should run.
When I took the water pump apart, the impeller was just floating in the housing. The PO must have overtightened the impeller nut and ended up snapping the end of the shaft off. I had to buy a new cam shaft and impeller

Now it runs cooler like it is supposed to.

Good luck,
Singletrak
Old 06-18-2012, 02:59 PM   #23695
John_L
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
Andy, I know it looks and sounds ridiculous but have you ever tried one of those beaded seat covers? I put one on my KLR years ago and made a trip to Alaska from Seattle with it on the stock seat and it worked wonders. The beads allow airflow and for road work are great. Seems a bit counter intuitive but it works. Buy them at an Auto Parts store cheap and cut off what you don't need, just tying the ends as you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awshouse View Post
I'm interested in adding a pad to my seat (Renazco leather). Love the seat, but I'm planning a 5 day road tour and need more cushion. Who has a pad they can recommend?

Thanks, Andy
John_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #23696
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 981
Crappy cell phone pics of my old Renazco on my bike when I bought it...

From KDX

From KDX

It says Renazco in red, and I think the stitching is red.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #23697
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,175
Quote:
So, I am trying to finish up all reassembly of my bike and I come across this!!!!

less than 2000 miles. So now I am on the hunt for a new cable. What do you guys think for a replacement? I saw somewhere there were a few guys putting the barnetts on with good results, and I also saw where there were some guys doing a few mods and getting another stock one. Any suggestions?

Thanks guys.

Mark
Sounds like you got it sorted, but the motion pro is a really good cable! 2" longer than stock.

Life is good!
1 lunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:13 PM   #23698
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,175
Quote:
Everything seemed to be intact when I had the cam out for the chain replacement. Nothing seemed unusual. Impeller was nice and tight on the Cam and moved very good when I rotated the engine over checking the timing marks. I was also thinking that it could be jetting, but it is spot on with the factory specs right now.

The engine does get very hot, although the fan does not kick on when driving around, only when stopped. Now I have not been out to do a shakedown run yet to see if the head will leak again.

And the engine stays very warm for a long time after shutdown.

Im also thinking that there could be an air pocket somewhere in the cooling system. This happens a lot on automobiles when flushing out coolant and putting in new. ie. waterpump replacement, or thermostat..... you get the idea.

Still scratching my head on this one. And still trying to find a number that these engines are supposed to run at, so I can see where Im at in comparison.

I am kind of nervous that it will. I have been reading too much about 06 te610's with head gasket issues due to a head surface screw up from the factory. I read somewhere , maybe on thumper talk, that there were a significant amount of 06's that had the same issue as mine. So we shall see. I hope I fixed the problem with a new gasket, because I do not want to send it out to get machined.

I will keep you guys updated.

Thanks,
Mark

P.S. BeefCurtain, I will try to get the write up on the forum soon, I am going out of town on friday until the 2nd. BUt if you decide to tear into it and need anything please feel free to get in touch with me. call me if you want also, 712-314-9388
I was thinking I could have an air pocket in mine too. Fans on more than I remember it being on before I changed the coolant. How do you resolve an air pocket?

Life is good!
1 lunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #23699
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,707

Started the tear down, no going back...

buffallodan screwed with this post 06-18-2012 at 08:17 PM
buffallodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:25 PM   #23700
JonXX
Infraction Collector

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 lunger View Post
I was thinking I could have an air pocket in mine too. Fans on more than I remember it being on before I changed the coolant. How do you resolve an air pocket?

Life is good!
I don't know what the "official" procedure is, but we had a tech day a couple months ago and when we refilled the coolant, I pulled the small hose off of the water pump and poured until coolant came out of the water pump, stuck the hose back on and filled to the proper level. None of the three bikes that we had tore down that day have ran hot, that I know of (including mine).

"They" said we couldn't run the OBDR on supermotos...
JonXX is offline   Reply With Quote