Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2012, 09:10 AM   #23926
Baja Ho
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
looks like the plug for HID lights on the lynx fairing.
No Lynx fairing on this bike, still a mystery!
Baja Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #23927
Xcuvator
Justa Venturer

Oddometer: 1,355
I finally found a dual spaot mirror that I like. The Ram mount mirror from Double Take mirror. It folds out of the way for off road nicely and I can actually see what is behind me. :
http://www.doubletakemirror.com/

So much riding-so little time
Xcuvator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:27 PM   #23928
Baja Ho
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
Plug???

Found the plug. Feel like an idiot. Goes to the radiater fan, DUH. Had put the radiaters in a box out of the way, out of site out of mind. Thanks for your help, mystery over.
Baja Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:13 PM   #23929
stujamur
Havin the craic

Oddometer: 1,182
Just thought i would post a pic . I hadnt ridden my 610 in a while and went for a solo run yesterday . I love my 610 .

stujamur screwed with this post 07-23-2012 at 04:50 AM
stujamur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:29 PM   #23930
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by uska View Post
no light switch?? looking clean
What kind of LED is that on the left side of bars?

Life is good!
1 lunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:37 AM   #23931
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,933
Does anyone know off hand what the stator output is on an 09 TE610 and how much of that the FI uses up?

Edit:. Looks like it might be 240w? Still curious how much of that the FI system eats up?
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:56 PM   #23932
JonXX
Infraction Collector

Oddometer: 355
Can someone give me an authoritative reason why it's mechanically "bad" to multiple downshift without engaging the clutch in each gear?

"They" said we couldn't run the OBDR on supermotos...
JonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:58 PM   #23933
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
I never heard of that, and if someone told me that, I would scoff. I've done that on every bike, every day, for 35 years. I know exactly how transmissions work and I can think of no reason why that's a bad thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonXX View Post
Can someone give me an authoritative reason why it's mechanically "bad" to multiple downshift without engaging the clutch in each gear?
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #23934
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
I seem to recall it's closer to 350 watts. I can run a heated jacket, heated grips and a 55w headlight and still show full charge. My old KTM640A had a carb and 200w alternator. I could run only 2 out of those three items. Sorry that I don't know how much the FI takes. Hope that helps a little
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
Does anyone know off hand what the stator output is on an 09 TE610 and how much of that the FI uses up?

Edit:. Looks like it might be 240w? Still curious how much of that the FI system eats up?
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:07 PM   #23935
JonXX
Infraction Collector

Oddometer: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrags View Post
I never heard of that, and if someone told me that, I would scoff. I've done that on every bike, every day, for 35 years. I know exactly how transmissions work and I can think of no reason why that's a bad thing.
Same here, word for word, for 32 years. I'm trying to help one of my riding buddies but he "coasts" into turns downshifting each gear rather than "charging" the corner and double or triple downshifting on the brakes. He says that he's been told "by someone that should know" that downshifting without engagement (skipping a gear) is "bad for the transmission."

"They" said we couldn't run the OBDR on supermotos...
JonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:42 PM   #23936
Xcuvator
Justa Venturer

Oddometer: 1,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonXX View Post
If you are slowing down from a high speed and you shift down and release the clutch one gear at a time, you are slowing the gears down incrementily so their speeds are closer to each other and minumizing the job of the engaement dogs.
On the other hand, if you come to a stop or slow down considerably, shifting multiple times makes no difference because the gear speeds are close.

So much riding-so little time
Xcuvator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:47 PM   #23937
djborden
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Head Shake...

I have had my 09 TE610 for about a year and have had a head shake problem at speed on the road. It was pretty bad with the stock karoos. It got better with the D606s. recently it got bad again as the D606s have worn.

I read the raising the forks in in the triple clamps may help. I gave it a try, and it made a significant improvement. Did 160 miles on Sunday and most at freeway speeds and I never experienced it. Whoever suggested it... Thanks!

David
djborden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:07 PM   #23938
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
TE630 Alternator output

I can't find my research on the TE-610 alternator output. I recall that it was just a little less than the output on the TE-630.

The TE-630 is rated at 290 watts at 2,000 rpm, and 360 watts at 5,000+ rpm.

I believe that FI adds an additional electrical load for the computer and for the fuel pump. The computer doesn't take much power (watts), but requires a steady voltage. If the voltage drops below (12.2??? volts - someone check me here - I've read it on another thread but can't find it now), the computer output becomes unpredictable and the bike runs poorly or not at all.

The fuel pump requires wattage but I don't know how much, and different pumps have different requirements. Are the fuel pumps on the TE-610 / TE-630 on a dedicated circuit? If so, the wattage of the fuse for that circuit should indicated the pump's power requirments.

Regardless, 300+ watts will run lots of stuff, especially if you reduce the lighting load with LEDs and Xenon lights.

Bikes like the XR-650R that don't run batteries, and dirt bikes that were never intended to run as Dual Sports usually don't put out enough wattage to run lots of accessories, let alone FI systems.

There is a terrific Alternators for Dummies thread somewhere here in the Archives of ADVRider.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:20 AM   #23939
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcuvator View Post
If you are slowing down from a high speed and you shift down and release the clutch one gear at a time, you are slowing the gears down incrementily so their speeds are closer to each other and minumizing the job of the engaement dogs.
On the other hand, if you come to a stop or slow down considerably, shifting multiple times makes no difference because the gear speeds are close.
The only thing I can think of is that you can screw up, either going to far or letting the clutch out too fast and then lock up the rear tire and crash. and that, would obviously damage the transmission

I think it's some "helpful" advise someone thought of for newbs, like: "just don't use the front brake and you'll be fine"
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:29 AM   #23940
poppy
Slow and Steady

Oddometer: 2,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 lunger View Post
What kind of LED is that on the left side of bars?

Life is good!
G'day 1 lunger, thats a cyclops motorsport hid spread light, have a spot on the right side.
poppy is offline   Reply With Quote