Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2012, 09:28 AM   #24076
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by farrington300 View Post
Hey fellas, what would you guys pay for a used 2006 with just about 1k on the odometer?

$2800-3200, more than that and I'd look for a nice plated XR650R instead.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #24077
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
I've been seriously kicking around the idea of a Rekluse for the 610. They don't list one for our model, but apparently the one for the 450/510 fit directly. I've never run one though, so I don't know what to expect.

I too have thought about doing the hydraulic clutch conversion, but ultimately, why bother? The cable is not awesome, but it's more awesome than the >$300 for the conversion. $300 is a lot of trail food and gas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
Yep... I bought a 630. More seriously, if a cable clutch is as good as it can be there is little to justify the expense of hydraulic clutch. I'd tape a spare cable to the clutch cable and put the money into a Rekluse which is much better at fine clutch control than a human... or the next ride... or bribing the missus into the time off for the next ride if I had that problem.
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #24078
poppy
Slow and Steady

Oddometer: 2,166
Quote:
Yep... I bought a 630. More seriously, if a cable clutch is as good as it can be there is little to justify the expense of hydraulic clutch. I'd tape a spare cable to the clutch cable and put the money into a Rekluse which is much better at fine clutch control than a human... or the next ride... or bribing the missus into the time off for the next ride if I had that problem.
Hi numbers, yeah got the spare cable, they just feel agricultural. Have a mate with a Rekluse in his 300EXC and it does make a hell of a difference, especially on real snotty area's, hill climbs etc. Just doing a bit of planning for a 3 week ride next year and would like to get a few things out of the way and tested before it gets here .

How does the rekluse like heat and sand riding. Isn't there another rekluse type clutch system which utilses some type of dog ring or similar.

Its funny you mention the missus, there was no bribing, but the will be a consequense to my actions
poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #24079
StolenFant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Easy there 955616846. My idea was to be helpful. I'm sure Poppy can figure out how to look up a number (hint Google) Anyway, I don't have 30+ years experience with Husky, but know someone who does, and he doesn't mind sharing it. Since I don't live anywhere near Upstatecycle, but Gerald returned my call and spoke nearly half an hour, I'd say he's genuinely interested in helping. Oh, phone is also easier, faster, and usually more convenient for those "old enough" to have that kind of experience. So, do you have some something to share that is helpful to Poppy, or are you just into flaming seppos?
QUOTE=955616846;19329206]Call who? Impressive list of qualifications, but why should I consider his opinion any more valid than my own. His opinion, it seems, is based on racing and sales. Mine is based on 3.5Mkm over 30 years and 1.5Mkm in the past decade, nearly half of which has been off-road in the same conditions which I take from his previous posts Poppy rides or aspires to ride. My response was targeted even if it was brief and lacking proper explanation. I have no idea what yours was...[/QUOTE]
StolenFant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:44 AM   #24080
Dualsport
Maker of Sweet Cheek

Oddometer: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
$2800-3200, more than that and I'd look for a nice plated XR650R instead.
An XR is great after you add suspension, pipe, pumper carb.... (Stuff the TE already has.)
But the TE-610 is far better. I have had a few XR's and I have had 5 TE-610's. I currently own 2. One with 35k miles on it.
The TE has electric start, six speed and feels more nimble in the tight stuff. Spend a little more for a TE
Dualsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:05 AM   #24081
Xcuvator
Justa Venturer

Oddometer: 1,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrags View Post
I've been seriously kicking around the idea of a Rekluse for the 610. They don't list one for our model, but apparently the one for the 450/510 fit directly. I've never run one though, so I don't know what to expect.

I too have thought about doing the hydraulic clutch conversion, but ultimately, why bother? The cable is not awesome, but it's more awesome than the >$300 for the conversion. $300 is a lot of trail food and gas.
If you still lived in Vancouver you could ride my 610 Rekluse equiped 610 and see what you think.
There are several benefits and you would probably be very pleased with one. The only downside (I can think of) is loosing the ability to bump start.
I have Rekluses in a WR 250 and TE 450 ( WR 125 is next for an auto clutch). The 610 clutch works as good or better than the others. The big surprise for me was how well the clutch over-ride works in the 610. Just like a stock clutch with a fraction of the amount of pull required. Because of the reduced pull, I believe the cable failure issue will be a non issue and a shorty two finger lever work well.
300$ would be a good start on a Rekluse purchase.

So much riding-so little time
Xcuvator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:13 AM   #24082
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Call who? Impressive list of qualifications, but why should I consider his opinion any more valid than my own. His opinion, it seems, is based on racing and sales. Mine is based on 3.5Mkm over 30 years and 1.5Mkm in the past decade, nearly half of which has been off-road in the same conditions which I take from his previous posts Poppy rides or aspires to ride. My response was targeted even if it was brief and lacking proper explanation. I have no idea what yours was...
Weak ego? Or are you real short?
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:48 AM   #24083
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualsport View Post
An XR is great after you add suspension, pipe, pumper carb.... (Stuff the TE already has.)
But the TE-610 is far better. I have had a few XR's and I have had 5 TE-610's. I currently own 2. One with 35k miles on it.
The TE has electric start, six speed and feels more nimble in the tight stuff. Spend a little more for a TE

I've had both too and for me the XRR is the better bike because I don't have to rebuild the thing after every ride. It has more power, equal suspension after some work...everybody is working on their 610 suspension, I never did on my 610..thought it was great out of the box, grunt of the XRR engine compensates for the 5 speed. Stock carb on both bikes work well for me. Out of all the bikes out there the 610 and XRR are the only two that directly compare.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:59 AM   #24084
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcuvator View Post
If you still lived in Vancouver you could ride my 610 Rekluse equiped 610 and see what you think.
There are several benefits and you would probably be very pleased with one. The only downside (I can think of) is loosing the ability to bump start.
I have Rekluses in a WR 250 and TE 450 ( WR 125 is next for an auto clutch). The 610 clutch works as good or better than the others. The big surprise for me was how well the clutch over-ride works in the 610. Just like a stock clutch with a fraction of the amount of pull required. Because of the reduced pull, I believe the cable failure issue will be a non issue and a shorty two finger lever work well.
300$ would be a good start on a Rekluse purchase.
Ok, so if I am reading this correctly, you have an ACTUAL, WORKING rekluse in a 610? I'm very interested in doing this but didn't know that it was possible, do you have a link to a step-by-step that goes over any weirdness or is the install truly plug and play? (and which rekluse exactly did you use?)

I think I need to replace my spring washers (again) because I never bothered to install the indy washers I bought a couple years ago... Does the Rekluse use the OEM clutch cover/springs or does it do away with that part?
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #24085
Dualsport
Maker of Sweet Cheek

Oddometer: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I've had both too and for me the XRR is the better bike because I don't have to rebuild the thing after every ride. It has more power, equal suspension after some work.
I sold my last XR after getting Big Dogs/Fishfunds 35k mile TE610. It pulls as hard as a well sorted XRR and has proven itself reliable. The bike is great and does not require any more maintenance than either of my XR's did.

Plus a lot of states around me have started NOT renewing dirt bikes for street use. If they were not originally street legal and EPA/DOT approved, the street titles are not valid any longer. The XR had to go before I had an expensive and heavy dirt bike.
Dualsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:39 PM   #24086
StolenFant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Check out EFM Autoclutch http://www.efmautoclutch.com/ Gary, owner, will promptly return emails, and calls. Those who have used them on multiple bikes including TE610's speak very highly of them as a set and forget alternative to the Rekluse. Price is higher than Rekluse's basic model, and lower than Rekluse's most expensive. However, you do send in your clutch for modification to the basket. Plates and friction disks remain stock. I too am researching autoclutch options for my 610, and I like what I am hearing about the EFM's virtually zero maintenance after installation. I would try the base model Rekluse if I could find someone who has installed and can provide part numbers. I haven't been able to get info back from Rekluse about using the 510 kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Ok, so if I am reading this correctly, yAL, WORKING rekluse in a 610? I'm very interested in doing this but didn't know that it was possible, do you have a link to a step-by-step that goes over any weirdness or is the install truly plug and play? (and which rekluse exactly did you use?)

I think I need to replace my spring washers (again) because I never bothered to install the indy washers I bought a couple years ago... Does the Rekluse use the OEM clutch cover/springs or does it do away with that part?

StolenFant screwed with this post 08-11-2012 at 01:40 PM Reason: typo
StolenFant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:00 PM   #24087
tlking6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Ok, so if I am reading this correctly, you have an ACTUAL, WORKING rekluse in a 610? I'm very interested in doing this but didn't know that it was possible, do you have a link to a step-by-step that goes over any weirdness or is the install truly plug and play? (and which rekluse exactly did you use?)

Yeah, what he said! I'd be very interested to give one a try.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #24088
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,274
The Rekluse only replaces the inner basket. You still need to keep the stock outer basket where my cups are installed on the cush springs. Oh for those that can't install my cups PM me for a price to install them on your basket with quick turn arounds.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #24089
Xcuvator
Justa Venturer

Oddometer: 1,355
Quote:

It's the same clutch that the WR250-300 and 450-510 takes. I posted all this here right after the install. RMS 856 is the Rekluse number if memory serves. I talked to one of the engineers at Rekluse when I was doing it and he said to load it up with TC balls, so I put in six (only four come in the kit) . I don't know if it was really neccessary. The only other thing I can think of is that I adjusted the pushrod a little bit. Other than that, Rekluse supplies very good install directions.
Oh and, no cover springs.
I talked to Gary at EFM and I think the EFM clutch is comparable to the early Rekluse Z Start. The Z Start, not to be confused with the Z start Pro, only has normal clutch over ride up to 1/2 throttle. The Pro is advertised as full throttle function.
The other disadvantage to the EFM is they use your clutch so you would need to buy another one to go back to stock for any reason. Like if you sell the bike and want to either keep it for the next one or sell it separately.

So much riding-so little time

Xcuvator screwed with this post 08-11-2012 at 06:19 PM
Xcuvator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:24 AM   #24090
SilverBullet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Regarding the XRR versus TE610/630 comparison, only two words need be spoken "electric start".

_
1974 Suzuki TM400
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote