Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2012, 03:58 AM   #24196
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
DRZ weighs about 20 lb less than the 610 but has maybe 2/3 the power...
Just FYI...I'm finding a ready to ride weight of 317 for the TE, and 319 for the DRZ
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:48 AM   #24197
Ditch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,015
My TE weighs 340#. That is with stock tank with fuel, tool bag on rear luggage rack, dirt bag brackets, skid plate, tank bag, fender tube bag, gps mount w/gps, and hand guards (I think that's everything).
Ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:51 AM   #24198
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch View Post
My TE weighs 340#. That is with stock tank with fuel, tool bag on rear luggage rack, dirt bag brackets, skid plate, tank bag, fender tube bag, gps mount w/gps, and hand guards (I think that's everything).
+ or - 8 or 9 lbs if you have the stock can w/ cat or not and another 8-9lbs + or - with/without the passenger pegs.

Life is good!
1 lunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:32 AM   #24199
Xcuvator
Justa Venturer

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
Just FYI...I'm finding a ready to ride weight of 317 for the TE, and 319 for the DRZ
It would be interesting to see a side by side weigh in with two bikes with similar options. I have always thought that the two bike weigh close to the same.

So much riding-so little time
Xcuvator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #24200
Mgizler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Selling my Te610

Hate to do it guys but the husky has to go. Just put it up on the flea market.

Thanks for all the help and info that you guys have given me. Ill be back again eventually.

Mark
Mgizler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #24201
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
DRZ weighs about 20 lb less than the 610 but has maybe 2/3 the power.

TE610 has what 38 hp at the wheel and the DRZ 35? The DRzE is even lighter with more aggressive cams, many a drag race between my old 610 and a buddies DRZ400E had them exactly equal.

You're right about one thing, an XR650R will smoke 'em both.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #24202
Xcuvator
Justa Venturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
TE610 has what 38 hp at the wheel and the DRZ 35? The DRzE is even lighter with more aggressive cams, many a drag race between my old 610 and a buddies DRZ400E had them exactly equal.

You're right about one thing, an XR650R will smoke 'em both.
As I recall you have said that you never touched your carb. The emissions passing stock AFRs are very lean, great for gas mileage but power output not so much. Both my 07 and 08 ran way stronger with richer AFRs..

Old 09-03-2012, 05:20 PM   #24203
Dirtnadvil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtnadvil View Post
The WRR is a great bike, esspecially when the suspension is dialed in.If I had room for three bikes it would never leave my garage, 12000 miles and it hasn't let me down except for a broken clutch cable. I have done several week long rides on the bike, sea level to 12000'+ , runs great, shorter wheel base is nice on trails and twisties. Steel subframe. Handles great on evrything but so cal super slab! All of that and it pulls off 60+ mpg no matter how bad I flog it.
The reason for getting rid of it is that I have been doing some rides with my friends down in Baja that are off of any dirt road or jeep trail. I am looking for a reliable, carburated bike with a kick start. Not that the WR has a bad rep for reliaability I just want to be able to do more than scratch my head if the bike up and dies in the middle of no where. The DRZ is another bike I am considering.
Thanks for answering my questions,my brrother offered to sell me his 08 DRZ for a god price, I picked up a kick start kit today that someone was selling on CL. The TE seems like a great bike.
Dirtnadvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:49 PM   #24204
Taranis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch View Post
First thing I did when I got my bike, totally stock, was put it on some race car corner scales. Full tank, 100 percent stock, it was 335 lb.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:23 PM   #24205
Taranis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Nice day today. Not very adventurous, just shaking it down in the nearest legal riding area for non-plated bikes, but still a good day. First day for this bike on dirt with no issues and not even one tipover. It's always been fine on the street, but dirt rides have always brought something out, and I keep forgetting it's not the YZ. Was solo today, so took it a little easier. Fuel filter and all-new vent hoses seem to have kicked the pilot jet clogging problem. Ready to actually start exploring.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:01 AM   #24206
larryboy
Paint it black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcuvator View Post
As I recall you have said that you never touched your carb. The emissions passing stock AFRs are very lean, great for gas mileage but power output not so much. Both my 07 and 08 ran way stronger with richer AFRs..

Butt dyno is tough to pin down, way stronger might have been higher or lower horsepower. My 2007 started out at 42 mpg stock, then the FI bikes came out and everybody was reporting 60 mpg stock, threw the Uptite muffler on and it leaned out to 60 mpg and ran great.

Pretty sure that dyno run that got posted in this thread way back when was a stock bike at 38 hp and the topic right now is that the 610 has 1/3 more power than a DRz which isn't true. The 610 has 3 more ponies and the best transmission ever made.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #24207
Xcuvator
Justa Venturer

They probably are 38HP with the stock exhaust and lean jetting.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #24208
motogo1
I don't want a pickle,...

Oddometer: 1,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by motogo1 View Post
My 610 is really back firing when I let off the throttle lately. Did someone post one time about a broken or cracked boot between the carb and intake. I haven't started to take it apart yet but something screwy is going on.
I think I found my problem. I'm almost ashamed to admit it. After taking the tank, air filter housing, etc off, I was removing the carb when I noticed the RED hot start knob was pulled out. DOH!! I haven't got the bike together to test it, but quite sure this was the issue. I never use that hot start, but it was obviously pulled out by mistake. I had some other things to check so it wasn't a total waste of time. BTW, the carb to cylinder boot looked perfect and this on a bike with over 20,000 miles. MAYBE, this will help someone else from making this stupid mistake.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:20 PM   #24209
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
Who runs stock? I would love to dyno mine with the JD tuner and EHS filter mod.

Life is good!

1 lunger screwed with this post 09-04-2012 at 05:49 PM
1 lunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:25 AM   #24210
larryboy
Paint it black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcuvator View Post
They probably are 38HP with the stock exhaust and lean jetting.

I had it wrong, 35.58: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=11101

Follow the link to the dyno post.

Many others including myself have found the 610 with a carb to be jetted rich out of the box. When I put the pipe on it I got rid of the high rpm stutter and got it to 102 mph on a playa with camping gear on board.

I really don't think there is much more HP to found in the 576cc 13 to 1 engine, it's making about all it can.