User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #24706
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
what should water temp be?

I installed a vapor tach a couple years ago, and I've never really been able to get it working right.

For some reason I dinked around with it today and lo and behold the water temp is working which I swear it never did before, but Honestly I don't remember.

40 degree outside, after a pretty lengthy freeway run it's idling at the offramp and it's running 210 and then as it sat there climbed to 240 degrees. Does that seem reasonable or too hot? I've always thought 200 was about max for most motors.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:01 AM   #24707
Xcuvator
Justa Venturer

Oddometer: 1,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
I installed a vapor tach a couple years ago, and I've never really been able to get it working right.

For some reason I dinked around with it today and lo and behold the water temp is working which I swear it never did before, but Honestly I don't remember.

40 degree outside, after a pretty lengthy freeway run it's idling at the offramp and it's running 210 and then as it sat there climbed to 240 degrees. Does that seem reasonable or too hot? I've always thought 200 was about max for most motors.
Did your fan come on? How long idling? Sounds a little too warm. My bikes get up there but during a long slow/hard climb in hot weather.

So much riding-so little time
Xcuvator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:27 AM   #24708
K7MDL
TE450, TE610

Oddometer: 1,552
Quote:

My Vapor with sensor installed in the lower right radiator hose outlet (cold water) to the right side runs well below 200F. Fan comes on at 208F, off about 192 or so. Running down the freeway this time of year it is common to read 140-170F. At a stop light coming off the freeway it will rise quick and turn the fan on.

My TE450 with radiator mounted thermoswitch (just under the rad cap) will hit a max of 220 when the fan has a tough time keeping up. Fan on at 200, off at 190F though. TrailTech coolant temp sensor is on the right radiator upper (hot) hose in the middle of the frame.

If you are really seeing 240F you are probably steaming off, or low on coolant or both. Fan may not be coming on or water pump not doing well? If it is really hot and overflowing you will smell it from the overflow bottle. Be sure to check that level.
K7MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #24709
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 747
I had my subframe reinforced last week. The whole battery tray was broken off and repaired with custom aluminum brackets (also broken) and bolts by the PO. The left rear subframe finger was also totally broken off. The back exhaust bracket was also broken so I cut it off and am going to rebuild off of the new welded gussets. I cut out the aluminum and took it to a local welding shop. It saved me a little money. He was not a master welder but he did better than I would (or could) have done.

2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:32 PM   #24710
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by duanew1 View Post
I had my subframe reinforced last week.
Looks good!

Please post up pics of the muffler fix. I've ripped my mounts out and need to do something but I really don't know what to do yet :)
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #24711
His Pistolship
Kp calm, shoot alfas

Oddometer: 395
Thanks Stolenfant for the Rekluse reply. I'd still love to get one of these to use for the TAT this summer.
His Pistolship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:33 AM   #24712
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Quote:
Looks good!

Please post up pics of the muffler fix. I've ripped my mounts out and need to do something but I really don't know what to do yet :)
I was hoping to get it done today but life happened so it might be couple of days. The pic below shows that the PO did. I will do something similar with some left over 1/4" aluminum stock that I have left over. The bracket actually drops the exhaust can about 1/2" and it really helps it clear the turn signal and not melt it. I am looking to keep that drop in the repair. I will get some better pics when I am done.

2008 SYM HD200
Old 01-28-2013, 11:42 PM   #24713
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by duanew1 View Post
I was hoping to get it done today but life happened so it might be couple of days. The pic below shows that the PO did. I will do something similar with some left over 1/4" aluminum stock that I have left over. The bracket actually drops the exhaust can about 1/2" and it really helps it clear the turn signal and not melt it. I am looking to keep that drop in the repair. I will get some better pics when I am done.

Take a very good look at the mid pipe with the can lowered like that, it might rub on the back of the starter or top of side case. I found mine slightly rubbing my starter in the reg position.
1 lunger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:24 AM   #24714
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 lunger View Post
Take a very good look at the mid pipe with the can lowered like that, it might rub on the back of the starter or top of side case. I found mine slightly rubbing my starter in the reg position.
Thanks for the info. I will definitely check that out to make sure it is not rubbing.
2008 SYM HD200
Old 01-31-2013, 08:32 PM   #24715
BarberPole
Short of the Clacker

Oddometer: 30
Laugh Nice video

Quote:
Originally Posted by southy View Post
I got the Husky out for a ride this week, the first for a while. I put together some video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ03NqM9Fmc
Now that was some nice video work.......and riding.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #24716
BarberPole
Short of the Clacker

Oddometer: 30
Finally read all 1650 pages.

Quote:
Hypothetically speaking, can a EFI 610 engine get damaged with running a straight pipe?

I can say, not hypothetically, them things are really loud

And has anyone done anything creative to repair/re-enforce the subframe when the muffler support studs rip out? Again, ya know "hypothetically speaking"
Hello xymo, (It took me 2 months to get to read the forum. Ha. )

I don't think so.

My impression is: with the O2 sensor installed, the ECU takes in all it's parameters and adjusts the injectors to meet a
pre programmed Air/Fuel Ratio........14.2---14.7? (Cafe Husky reference?).
That's why I think adding "flow" through a LV pipe.....OR straight pipe will not "lean" out the AFR as much as many contend.
It will on a carbed engine where the jets dictate fuel flow...........but I think the FI bikes with O2 installed do a lot more
"compensating" than we realize. This is actually a question I have for our more educated ECU programmers........
Am I semi correct?
I haven't gone through all the latest CafeHusky posts or the 630/650 threads so maybe more ECU info has been addressed.........

Doing the PU kit apparently sets the AFR at a flatline rich state and simply overpowers any opening of air flow setups
from producing too lean a mixture.........I think.

Introduction: I picked up a stock 08 in December with 1300 miles that was originally sold out of Ferracci in Doylestown, PA.
I think this thing rips........no flatness off idle, no stuttering or surging......just spins up my poor old 50% Karoo right off of idle.........2nd gear is a blast.
The second owner seller told me he did have Ferracci look at it for some surging after he first got it in 2010 with 700 miles and the only thing they did was install an Iridium plug. I only got 2 good hrs on it at Brown Mtn ORV park near Morganton, NC before we came south for the winter so she's sleeping in the garage while I learn all that I can from you wonderful folks.

I did have a quick chat with Eraldo Ferracci himself, even though I didn't recognize it at the time, a couple weeks ago and he stated the dealership "tunes" out any factory leaness on all their bikes before selling. He had to leave to fetch a bike ,so our conversation was brief, but he was going to forward any records they might have on what "tuning" they had done on my bike during it's servicing..........but I haven't received any of that yet.

So.........as one poster stated several pages back, some dealers do tune the FI bikes before selling. I don't know what
software Ferracci uses but for being supposedly stock, with O2 sensor and OEM pipe, my bike sure seems strong.......
so I'm happy.
Actually, for as loud as the OEM pipe is, I think it must be allowing a pretty good flow through the Cat.......just my quick observation.
I only hit the 5500 rev light a few times on my initial ride so I really didn't get a chance to do any higher RPM road work or get a feel for high RPM restrictions..........that low and mid torque it's presently got is good enough for me.

Thanks for all the info friends...........glad to be here. Oh, and ......I love this bike.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:22 PM   #24717
Ross Shafer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Axle block/sliders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Shafer View Post
Howdy All,

Not necessarily adventure bike oriented, but something my fellow 610 owners may want to know about.

I wanted to purchase a set of SME Axle block/sliders for my SM610 a few weeks back only to find SME was closed and the parts were unobtanium. So I made some for myself.

I've made a royalty arrangement with Harry of SME and will soon have 25 sets of these ready to sell. The blocks are done, I'm just waiting for the puck material to finish them up. I had a small chunk of material laying around so I made a couple of pucks so I could get some pictures out.

If interested, contact me through my website (www.six-ninedesign.com) , there's nothing there about these block/sliders, its just a way to email me directly without having to post my email addy here or deal with PM's.

I'm having probs. figuring out how to load a photo here, but follow this link: http://s1358.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0
, and you'll see a pic of the Axle Block/Sliders I'm offering.

Happy Dang New Year!
Okey Dokey, my missing material finally showed up so the pucks are done and these suckers are ready to ship. $90 pr includes shipping within the continental US. If you'd like some please do not PM me through the forum, but contact me through my business website: www.six-ninedesign.com.

Oh yeah, these will fit other Husky models. The part number for the OEM axle block is: 8000 96941, if your bike whatever model it is, has axle blocks with that part number (Hall's has all the parts manual available to see on their website) then these babies will work for you. You can email me if you'd like a drawing showing all the pertinent dimensions to check compatibility.

Here's a link to a photo of these parts: http://s1358.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0

Happy riding!
Ross

Ross Shafer screwed with this post 02-02-2013 at 09:20 AM Reason: fix typo
Ross Shafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #24718
motopreserve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Dude! What are you hawking? The link you provide is dead, the page (when I fill in the .com) shows a bunch of stuff - none of which is Husky related???? And I've looked...Twice!

MotoPreserve -- a blog about wrenching on bikes in Barre, VT...
motopreserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #24719
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by motopreserve View Post
Dude! What are you hawking? The link you provide is dead, the page (when I fill in the .com) shows a bunch of stuff - none of which is Husky related???? And I've looked...Twice!
He's a terrorist!!!!!!! Pass me a clip.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:35 PM   #24720
motopreserve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
He's a terrorist!!!!!!! Pass me a clip.
He emailed me. He's actually not a terrorist but a luthier with a photo upload problem. :)

Hopefully solved soon - because the pics of the products he sent look pretty cool.

MotoPreserve -- a blog about wrenching on bikes in Barre, VT...
motopreserve is offline   Reply With Quote