ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 01:14 PM   #24871
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer
 
1 lunger's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Bloomfield CT
Oddometer: 1,174
I must have added sta-bil a few times and not used as much gas as I though causing the fuel sta-bil ratio to be too much sta-bil. The bike would not run! I think the drastic hot and cold temp changes from the propane heater in the garage didn't help either. It took awhile to burn the condensation out of the bike. It was in the breather hose form motor to air box and the sight glass had some smegma on the inside too. Anyway, drained the tank, added fresh gas and went for a ride. All is good in (my ) the world.
1 lunger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #24872
ebrew
Motorcycle A.D.D.
 
ebrew's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Denver colo
Oddometer: 1,230
Carry gear for a few day trip

How are all u folks carrying some gear for a few day off road trip. Just a few days of clothing and other basics. Don't want hard racks on the side. I know about giant loop and wolfman. With the exhaust sitting so high on the left where are you mounting the straps. Any images would be super helpful.
ebrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #24873
Xcuvator
Justa Venturer
 
Xcuvator's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Skolls Or
Oddometer: 1,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrew View Post
How are all u folks carrying some gear for a few day off road trip. Just a few days of clothing and other basics. Don't want hard racks on the side. I know about giant loop and wolfman. With the exhaust sitting so high on the left where are you mounting the straps. Any images would be super helpful.
Giant Loop bags come with a spacer/shield that clamps on to the muffler.
I have dirt bags and racks on the 610. The racks also add some strength to the weak subframe.
__________________
___________________________________________

So much riding-so little time

Xcuvator screwed with this post 03-09-2013 at 04:49 PM
Xcuvator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:22 PM   #24874
ScottL
Why Not!!!
 
ScottL's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Australia
Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrew View Post
How are all u folks carrying some gear for a few day off road trip. Just a few days of clothing and other basics. Don't want hard racks on the side. I know about giant loop and wolfman. With the exhaust sitting so high on the left where are you mounting the straps. Any images would be super helpful.
I have installed a Pro Moto Billet rack with sides to stop my soft panniers from touching the exhaust or the rear wheel.




Here there are with some luggage strapped

ScottL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #24875
BrandonR
Studly Adventurer
 
BrandonR's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Oregon
Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarberPole View Post
Hello Brandon,

What guage wire should I use as extensions to the capacitor wire?
Anything thicker than the leads on the capacitor is fine, I think I used 16ga since I had it laying around.
__________________
Brandon Reed
2009 Husqvarna TE610
BrandonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:17 PM   #24876
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer
 
1 lunger's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Bloomfield CT
Oddometer: 1,174
some of the best ridding I've done in the snow today! It was perfect! 60* F, snow, muck & mud makes for a happy bike!
1 lunger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #24877
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer
 
xymotic's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Federal Way, WA
Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrew View Post
How are all u folks carrying some gear for a few day off road trip. Just a few days of clothing and other basics. Don't want hard racks on the side. I know about giant loop and wolfman. With the exhaust sitting so high on the left where are you mounting the straps. Any images would be super helpful.
I really like the giant loops. Here's how I have them mounted:



__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Sean
Oh for ***k's sake Aaron. Please link us to my fascist, racist or homophobic posts.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein


Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:50 PM   #24878
cassos
n00b
 
cassos's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Los Altos, CA
Oddometer: 2
2006 610's IMS 5 gallons tank install

Hi folks,

I am in the process of converting my 06 610 from SM to TE.
I bought a set of wheels, front brake, set of plastics, and an IMS tank from
Dan at Motoxotica.
I started to work on it.

I did not realize the IMS tank has two extra fuel petcocks at the front lower left and right:

That raised a few questions.

1- IMS provided the petcocks that need to be mounted with teflon directly on the tank's platstic. I hope these will not cross-thread. Also they did not drill the hole big enough for the tiny filters to go in. I don't want to messup the inside with plastic cuts when resizing, any advice?

2- Can someone post pictures of the fuel connections between the 4 petcocks and the curburator.

3- Any extra ventilation needed for the tank?

Thanks, Christian.

cassos screwed with this post 03-11-2013 at 12:47 AM
cassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:58 AM   #24879
BiG DoM
African Adventurer
 
BiG DoM's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: South Africa
Oddometer: 2,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
I really like the giant loops. Here's how I have them mounted:


I would be careful of using that threaded stud welded to the exhaust. I attached a light license disc holder to it and it broke off leaving a hole a hole in the exhaust ... and very difficult to weld again as it is thin! - it is really only designed to hold the OEM thin alu heatshield.
__________________
BiG DoM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... 'Fuck, what a trip!'

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcyclists.
BiG DoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:50 AM   #24880
jrusto
n00b
 
jrusto's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Oddometer: 7
New to Me 610 TE

Hello all, I just purchased a 2008 610 TE. Took it for a first ride yesterday . I guess being a new owner when I took the seat off for inspection, I guess I failed to get the Duz fastener fully seated. Can any one tell me where the best place to get one. Or even the size of it so I can look for a replacement locally. We have no dealers here in Louisiana.

Thanks
Rusty
jrusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:28 AM   #24881
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer
 
1 lunger's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Bloomfield CT
Oddometer: 1,174
I would try calling Hall's (217) 789-0107
1 lunger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #24882
Dr Klaun
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Dr Klaun's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Tumalo, OR
Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrew View Post
How are all u folks carrying some gear for a few day off road trip. Just a few days of clothing and other basics. Don't want hard racks on the side. I know about giant loop and wolfman. With the exhaust sitting so high on the left where are you mounting the straps. Any images would be super helpful.
Here's my set up for a few days (camping):



The GL Coyote is nice, but like all horseshoe shaped bags, the corners are a little tougher to pack efficiently. Their stuff sacks help though. My tent and Kermit chair are in the drybag to the rear of the GL.
__________________
- Matt

96 R1100RSL (red)
08 TE610
Dr Klaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:21 AM   #24883
K7MDL
TE450, TE610
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Snohomish, WA
Oddometer: 1,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassos View Post
Hi folks,

I am in the process of converting my 06 610 from SM to TE.
I bought a set of wheels, front brake, set of plastics, and an IMS tank from
Dan at Motoxotica.
I started to work on it.

I did not realize the IMS tank has two extra fuel petcocks at the front lower left and right:

That raised a few questions.

1- IMS provided the petcocks that need to be mounted with teflon directly on the tank's platstic. I hope these will not cross-thread. Also they did not drill the hole big enough for the tiny filters to go in. I don't want to messup the inside with plastic cuts when resizing, any advice?

2- Can someone post pictures of the fuel connections between the 4 petcocks and the curburator.

3- Any extra ventilation needed for the tank?

Thanks, Christian.
No decent pictures but I point the valves so the hose is inward and route the hoses away from hot stuff as best can. On the left up in and through the rad hoses and just under the water pump. On the right I loosely strap it to the clutch cable as it intersects. All loosely tie wrapped in place as the tank and thus the valves will flex. Ensure you have plenty of easy slack in the hose to flex with the tank wings. I replaced my hoses when the original hoses got too hard to flex easily (stressing the valves). I think I have some Motion pro fuel hose in there now. Grey stuff. Heat resistant silicone fuel hose stuff would be good also.

I did not put my valves in so cannot comment on initial sizing. I would contact IMS or find their instructions before enlarging anything. Cannot make it smaller once you open it up. I do not have a filter so not sure what you are referring to. Just the petcocks.

The left side petcocks meet at a tee located so a crossover can pass by the carb body and meet up with another tee on the right side just below the main fuel shutoff. That tee goes to the right side wing and to the main fuel shutoff. The other nib on the main fuel goes to the carb. You know you got is right if you can shut off the fuel and pull the carb hose and the tank does not drain :-).

I travel with the wing petcocks closed. Forms 2 reserve tanks that way, and if a hose gets ripped off, you only lose fuel to the level of hose crossover at worst. You can pinch off or plug the stricken hose side and run off the other.

My tanks have taken a real beating and no problems so far. They look beat too.

I run a hose on a IMS vented cap. I use a check valve in line and splice it to one of the original vent lines that runs along the frame downtube into the skid area, clear of the hot headers. New IMS tank caps with vent nibs may not be drilled and thus not vent like you assume they would. You would need to remove the rubber portion and make sure and drill if needed. I sealed off the top left tank vent. If you elect to use the top left vent, you have to ensure you run the hose up well above the tank (when leaned over) or you will pour fuel onto the ground. The fuel low level still works if you use the stock main fuel shutoff and comes on around 3.4 gallons down I think. So there is still lots of gas left. I usually refill around 145-170 miles. I have run it dry at 200 miles after a day of mixed single track and country highway. I normally get 47mpg on pavement.

K7MDL screwed with this post 03-12-2013 at 01:33 AM
K7MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:04 AM   #24884
flyrodder
Donny, please.
 
flyrodder's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Southern Bohemian Alps
Oddometer: 2,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by K7MDL View Post
No decent pictures but I point the valves so the hose is inward and route the hoses away from hot stuff as best can. On the left up in and through the rad hoses and just under the water pump. On the right I loosely strap it to the clutch cable as it intersects. All loosely tie wrapped in place as the tank and thus the valves will flex. Ensure you have plenty of easy slack in the hose to flex with the tank wings. I replaced my hoses when the original hoses got too hard to flex easily (stressing the valves). I think I have some Motion pro fuel hose in there now. Grey stuff. Heat resistant silicone fuel hose stuff would be good also.

I did not put my valves in so cannot comment on initial sizing. I would contact IMS or find their instructions before enlarging anything. Cannot make it smaller once you open it up. I do not have a filter so not sure what you are referring to. Just the petcocks.

The left side petcocks meet at a tee located so a crossover can pass by the carb body and meet up with another tee on the right side just below the main fuel shutoff. That tee goes to the right side wing and to the main fuel shutoff. The other nib on the main fuel goes to the carb. You know you got is right if you can shut off the fuel and pull the carb hose and the tank does not drain :-).

I travel with the wing petcocks closed. Forms 2 reserve tanks that way, and if a hose gets ripped off, you only lose fuel to the level of hose crossover at worst. You can pinch off or plug the stricken hose side and run off the other.

My tanks have taken a real beating and no problems so far. They look beat too.

I run a hose on a IMS vented cap. I use a check valve in line and splice it to one of the original vent lines that runs along the frame downtube into the skid area, clear of the hot headers. New IMS tank caps with vent nibs may not be drilled and thus not vent like you assume they would. You would need to remove the rubber portion and make sure and drill if needed. I sealed off the top left tank vent. If you elect to use the top left vent, you have to ensure you run the hose up well above the tank (when leaned over) or you will pour fuel onto the ground. The fuel low level still works if you use the stock main fuel shutoff and comes on around 3.4 gallons down I think. So there is still lots of gas left. I usually refill around 145-170 miles. I have run it dry at 200 miles after a day of mixed single track and country highway. I normally get 47mpg on pavement.
Great stuff -- just installing my IMS now -- not to hijack, but did you block off the vent fitting with a teflon-wrapped screw?
__________________
"It's sorta like a combination of camping in your Grandma's back yard, and a Frat party. " --fifthcircle
flyrodder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #24885
K7MDL
TE450, TE610
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Snohomish, WA
Oddometer: 1,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrodder View Post
Great stuff -- just installing my IMS now -- not to hijack, but did you block off the vent fitting with a teflon-wrapped screw?
I just put a rubber vacuum line cap over the nib. Have to replace every few years, pennies...

Here and here are photos of the left side
Here is a right side shot.

None are close enough to tell that much, but maybe they will help a bit. Or some of the other pictures form other angles in the albums.
K7MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014