01' Girlie as in a Tiger?
TIGERRIDER007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:19 AM   #25037
flyrodder
Donny, please.

Oddometer: 2,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
I have the Hyde on my TE610 and my YZ. I prefer it to aluminum, as it is lighter and the round edges and slippery plastic will not catch or stick to rocks, logs, etc. No issue with lacking durability. It's at a whole 'nother level compared to the body plastics or typical MX plastic skidplates, which mainly just keep sand and gravel from taking the paint off a frame on an MX track - not meant for bashing rocks.

^^this
Old 04-18-2013, 09:27 AM   #25038
ericrat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,077
Aftermarket Exhaust

I have an '03 TE610E with the stock dual exhaust.

Does anyone know if there is still an aftermarket exhaust available for this bike. Full or slip on. I would like to shave some weight, simplify and ease future luggage mounting.

Also, if anyone is near George at Uptite, maybe, pretty please, you could swing by and let him take a few measurements. It seems he has lost some numbers for this particular model.

Thanks,

Eric
Old 04-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #25039
jarthur
Old Desert Rat

Oddometer: 229
tigerrider007

My '06 has about 16,000 to 17,000 miles and runs great. 13,000 shouldn't be a big problem if regular preventive maintenance was done. Ask whether the cam chain has been replaced. Typically required around 10,000 +/-. Also ask whether the washers/keepers for the clutch springs (I think they call them cush drive springs or something close) have been checked or replaced. See 1 lunger's post 4-17 for a photo of the springs and keepers. Sprockets and chain should have been replaced by 13,000 miles. Check the bottom of the swing arm at the pivot for any damage from chain (loose chain?) (recent lesson from school of hard knocks with uncertain cause but probably a chain that loosened up significantly during my last ride). Otherwise its oil changes and tires. Great bike!

'06 Husky TE 610, '07 Triumph Tiger 1050, '93 ATK 605
jarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:46 PM   #25040
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarthur View Post
My '06 has about 16,000 to 17,000 miles and runs great. 13,000 shouldn't be a big problem if regular preventive maintenance was done. Ask whether the cam chain has been replaced. Typically required around 10,000 +/-. Also ask whether the washers/keepers for the clutch springs (I think they call them cush drive springs or something close) have been checked or replaced. See 1 lunger's post 4-17 for a photo of the springs and keepers. Sprockets and chain should have been replaced by 13,000 miles. Check the bottom of the swing arm at the pivot for any damage from chain (loose chain?) (recent lesson from school of hard knocks with uncertain cause but probably a chain that loosened up significantly during my last ride). Otherwise its oil changes and tires. Great bike!
Good to know, I believe the cam chain was replaced at 8000 miles according to the owner, I'll inquire about the rest.
How much does a cam chain cost and where do most folks get it from?
Can you do this yourself, if so how long usually does it take?

I'm sure I'll have to get a repair manual at some point for this bike, any ideas on where to find one?
Thanks for the knowledge!!!
Old 04-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #25041
BMacW650

Oddometer: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRIDER007 View Post
Good to know, I believe the cam chain was replaced at 8000 miles according to the owner, I'll inquire about the rest.
How much does a cam chain cost and where do most folks get it from?
Can you do this yourself, if so how long usually does it take?

I'm sure I'll have to get a repair manual at some point for this bike, any ideas on where to find one?
Thanks for the knowledge!!!
This is my first time doing , took me two nights to have everything a part. Nothing too difficult. You just need the fly wheel puller and a gear jammer.

Don't need no manual, follow this
http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showt...n-Replacement&

Hall's Cycle, Cam chain is 60 bucks. Add another 30-40 for gaskets and washers.
BMacW650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #25042
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Super!!! When it's time, this will be my guide to attempting this cam chain changing deal! I appreciate the link, totally cool.
Wow, so many things to read now, well almost ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMacW650 View Post
This is my first time doing , took me two nights to have everything a part. Nothing too difficult. You just need the fly wheel puller and a gear jammer.

Don't need no manual, follow this
http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showt...n-Replacement&

Hall's Cycle, Cam chain is 60 bucks. Add another 30-40 for gaskets and washers.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #25043
jarthur
Old Desert Rat

Oddometer: 229
Manual

Same for me. The cam chain replacement took about 8 hours +/- 'cause I was going slow. The clutch basket is easy to access, but you may need a local service guy to do the riveting and spring retainer installaltion.

There is a link to a repair manual somewhere in this string. A word search may turn it up. If no, send me a PM with an e-mail address as I may have a .pdf copy somewhere on my PC.

'06 Husky TE 610, '07 Triumph Tiger 1050, '93 ATK 605
jarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:17 PM   #25044
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarthur View Post
Same for me. The cam chain replacement took about 8 hours +/- 'cause I was going slow. The clutch basket is easy to access, but you may need a local service guy to do the riveting and spring retainer installaltion.

There is a link to a repair manual somewhere in this string. A word search may turn it up. If no, send me a PM with an e-mail address as I may have a .pdf copy somewhere on my PC.
I did the clutch in my garage and only needed a hand when punching the rivets. It was easy.
1 lunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:53 PM   #25045
stujamur
Havin the craic

Oddometer: 1,084
Where can you get a replacement side stand . One of my buds 09 610's stand broke .
A slightly longer one would be better too .

Also i am getting uneven front breaking . Most noticeable controlling the bike on slow downhills . Pads still have a bit of meet on them so thinking the disc must be warped ?
Old 04-20-2013, 03:34 AM   #25046
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRIDER007 View Post
Roger that!

01' Girlie as in a Tiger?
Yupper

Sold my '06 TE610 to fund the Tiger...2.5 hr weekend commute

I do miss that big Husky though...
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:37 AM   #25047
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
Yupper

Sold my '06 TE610 to fund the Tiger...2.5 hr weekend commute

I do miss that big Husky though...
Had an 01', loved it, then rode a buddy's 05', had to have one, so I bid on an 06' through ebay, won it, lovin' it ever since...the 06' is truly an amazing machine.
I love to race it in the mountains, and take it on forest service roads for fun, and haul gear on long trips to Arkansas, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia. It's my "lifer" bike.
So, this 610 will be my exploration bike and keeping up with my buddies on their KTMs
Old 04-20-2013, 04:10 PM   #25048
southy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by stujamur View Post
Also i am getting uneven front breaking . Most noticeable controlling the bike on slow downhills . Pads still have a bit of meet on them so thinking the disc must be warped ?
Sounds like its time to change the brake fluid. It should be done at least every 12 months.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:44 PM   #25049
stujamur
Havin the craic

Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by southy View Post
Sounds like its time to change the brake fluid. It should be done at least every 12 months.
Just put bike on stand and can see rotor is warped . Don't have a clue how i did it but its time for a new one .
Old 04-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #25050
g.mccormick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Got my TE yesterday. Started tearing into it today. The thing was filthy with oil mess and what appeared to be some black mold. I think the garage it was stored in had moisture problems. The exhaust valve cover seems to be leaking, I'm hoping from just the screw holes. Checked the cct tensioner, its at 6 notches. Valves are super loose at .005. Will set them tomorrow. Also going to tear down and clean/regrease head bearings and rear suspension bearings. As I'm going through it, I'm taking apart every connector I come to to clean and apply dielectric grease.

I've got oil filter coming and also chain and sprockets.

Does anyone run Shell Rotella T6 Synthetic 5W-40 in their TE? I run that oil in everything, and even though the TE calls for 10-60 I was planning on running the Shell in it as well.

Do any of the other model Husky footpegs fit the TE?

Does anyone know what the disconnected plug under the seat is for? It does not appear to have a match anywhere. I will try and get a pic tomorrow.
g.mccormick is offline   Reply With Quote