Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2013, 10:33 AM   #25321
Whitfield
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
BTW the big girl will do a few trials tricks ~ Big log hop.

Whitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:53 AM   #25322
BiG DoM
African Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,465
Hall's for the engine cover. Get a Hyde Racing poly skid plate, toughest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitfield View Post

Busted my side cover on a stump yesterday. Pushed a thumb print size chunk of it up into the rotor/flywheel and cracked around the 2 lower bolt flange webbing. Looks like the inner starter cover survived.

Questions:

1. Any suggestions on a dealer that may have the outer rotor / starter cover in stock? I'm new to the husky and have yet to chase parts.

2. Skidplate ~ I like to looks of the Uptite but is there anything better? Is George still making the Uptite skids for the 610?

Thanks,
Michael

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... 'Fuck, what a trip!'

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcyclists.
BiG DoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #25323
JonXX
Infraction Collector

Oddometer: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitfield View Post

Busted my side cover on a stump yesterday. Pushed a thumb print size chunk of it up into the rotor/flywheel and cracked around the 2 lower bolt flange webbing. Looks like the inner starter cover survived.

Questions:

1. Any suggestions on a dealer that may have the outer rotor / starter cover in stock? I'm new to the husky and have yet to chase parts.

2. Skidplate ~ I like to looks of the Uptite but is there anything better? Is George still making the Uptite skids for the 610?

Thanks,
Michael
Bill's Motorcycles Plus www.billshusky.com in Salem, OR will likely have the side cover for you, and will ship it out immediately if they do, and they also have the Uptite and Turbo City skid/bash plates. Even though it's steel (heavier) I opted for the Turbo City because it has removable "wings" that protect the sides higher than the Uptite pan.

"They" said we couldn't run the OBDR on supermotos...
JonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:27 AM   #25324
uska
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
goodmorning!

Anyone here installed a scotts underbar damper? will i be needing a 30mm socket and a spanner wrench for the job? Tq the stem nut to ~60LBS?

I finished replacing the clutch spring cups mod which was a piece of cake to do. I thought the rivets will be needing alot more force.

Anyone riding over july 4th weekend? :)

Have an awesome day and dont work too hard ;)
uska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:01 AM   #25325
Ben600
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
So, today my side stand bolt and subsequently the stand itself sheared off ( the mounting tab on the frame is fine)
Is this a common issue? Also what other bikes side stands would fit? One assumes the 410 and other TE models will?
Thanks in advance
Ben600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:20 AM   #25326
uska
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben600 View Post
So, today my side stand bolt and subsequently the stand itself sheared off ( the mounting tab on the frame is fine)
Is this a common issue? Also what other bikes side stands would fit? One assumes the 410 and other TE models will?
Thanks in advance
I just checked mine after 4k miles and the bolt that holds the stand was really loose. Im not surprised of this stuff anymore. Fun bike but im lucky i enjoy wrenching. ;)
Old 07-02-2013, 06:22 AM   #25327
kramsetac
The Dude Abides

Oddometer: 143
Side case bearing

Quote:
The side case has a bearing pressed into the side you will also need to order. Doesn't come with the replacement. I bought a 610 from a guy who had just replaced the case and missed this. Fortunately I replaced the timing chain immediately and found the omission. I think the bearing is for the starter system though, so not often in operation.

Mark

'06 TE610
'05 R1200GS
'02 200EXC
kramsetac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:37 AM   #25328
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by uska View Post
I just checked mine after 4k miles and the bolt that holds the stand was really loose. Im not surprised of this stuff anymore. Fun bike but im lucky i enjoy wrenching. ;)
Side stand bolt should allow for some lateral movement
1 lunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:27 AM   #25329
K7MDL
TE450, TE610

Oddometer: 1,552
Quote:

Like all bikes, it needs tightening and wide use of thread lock. Check your upper and lower subframe and motor mounts bolts while you are at it. I have provided replacement bolts to several bikes in the field. I upgrade these and the foot pegs with 12.9 socket head bolts as standard practice also. All bikes. :-)
K7MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #25330
uska
Gnarly Adventurer

lol, my lower / front engine mount bolts have been coming loose after every ride even with red loctite. After i took off my valve cover i realized the top 2 engine mount bolts were missing... Almost all my bolts are replaced now with ss hex head bolts. Engine mount and peg bolts are 12.9.

Any input on the scotts damper?
Anyone have it? Worth the pricetag?
Going to be installing it tomorrow..
Old 07-02-2013, 01:55 PM   #25331
uska
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 lunger View Post
Side stand bolt should allow for some lateral movement
Yes, i know. Even if you tighten that bolt hard it still provides that lateral movement.

Okay I'm off to the ups to pick up some goodies :)

(oh total bummer that i bought red anodized axle blocks and only realized that the one on the chain side is connected to the friggin axle)
Old 07-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #25332
BiG DoM
African Adventurer

The side stand failure is VERY common - they are made of cheese! You can read about the mods and replacements on Husky Cafe at length. I replaced mine with the cast alu one from a 510 and adjusted the foot (cut a bit shorter and re-welded). Has held up very well.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... 'Fuck, what a trip!'

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcyclists.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #25333
g.mccormick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Yes, i know. Even if you tighten that bolt hard it still provides that lateral movement.

Okay I'm off to the ups to pick up some goodies :)

(oh total bummer that i bought red anodized axle blocks and only realized that the one on the chain side is connected to the friggin axle)
You can drive the axle out of the block.
g.mccormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #25334
K7MDL
TE450, TE610

Oddometer: 1,552
Quote:

Any input on the scotts damper?
Anyone have it? Worth the pricetag?
Going to be installing it tomorrow..
I have a Scotts damper on my 610 and love it. I have a Motosportz on my TE450 and it works equally well. When I get on my son's TE450 I really notice the absence of a damper and trade back to my bike in short order.
K7MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #25335
BiG DoM
African Adventurer

Quote:
Anyone here installed a scotts underbar damper? will i be needing a 30mm socket and a spanner wrench for the job? Tq the stem nut to ~60LBS?

I finished replacing the clutch spring cups mod which was a piece of cake to do. I thought the rivets will be needing alot more force.

Anyone riding over july 4th weekend? :)

Have an awesome day and dont work too hard ;)
Scotts damper - some of the best money you can spend on any bike IMHO. Saved my ass more times than I care to count. Just do it.