Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 03:01 AM   #25351
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus180 View Post
Where did you buy yours from? I just bought one from Western Power Sports at powersportsuperstore.com. It said on their site that it fits the 250, 310, 450, 510, 610, 630. It doesn't fit my 610 and not even close....doesn't look like the photo either. It's really narrow and small for the smaller huskys. I'm in the process of returning it. I checker Acerbis' web site and couldn't find one for a 610 at all.
On eBay. I haven't got it yet, but sounds like I'll be sending it back too. That sucks, it was a good price at $65 shipped.
1 lunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #25352
cbmma1969
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
It died

First the bike a 2006 with just shy of 11k on the clock. Mods and farkles are unimportant to this story I "think".
The short story. Last ride about 50 miles out it developed a mild miss at mid range and above, not enough to even impact running speed. I figured I got some bad fuel on the last fill up, drained carb and tank, fueled with some gas I had around.
Fast forward to this morning, pull the bike out going to ride it to work. Fires off nicely, heading down the street I note the miss is still there. Ok requires further followup but only a marginal concern. Pulling up to a stop sign the bike dies. Not necccessarily unusual since it doesn't like to idle cold. Now comes the fun... Hit the magic button, nothing. Instrument lights also go away momentarily. Cycle the key instrument lights are back, battery icon is flashing. After fooling with it for a few minutes I push it back to the house and give it a quick check. Battery voltage -12.6 volts, on the charger jumps to 13.3 quickly and I now can get the starter solenoid to click, headlight is fluttering at a high rate and the gps indicates it drops below running voltage.
Thoughts? Suggestions? Wild ass guesses?
The traveler is active; he goes strenuously in search of people, of adventure, or experience. The tourist is passive; he expects interesting things to happen to him. DANIEL J. BOORSTIN, attributed, Voyages of Discover
cbmma1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #25353
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmma1969 View Post
First the bike a 2006 with just shy of 11k on the clock. Mods and farkles are unimportant to this story I "think".
The short story. Last ride about 50 miles out it developed a mild miss at mid range and above, not enough to even impact running speed. I figured I got some bad fuel on the last fill up, drained carb and tank, fueled with some gas I had around.
Fast forward to this morning, pull the bike out going to ride it to work. Fires off nicely, heading down the street I note the miss is still there. Ok requires further followup but only a marginal concern. Pulling up to a stop sign the bike dies. Not necccessarily unusual since it doesn't like to idle cold. Now comes the fun... Hit the magic button, nothing. Instrument lights also go away momentarily. Cycle the key instrument lights are back, battery icon is flashing. After fooling with it for a few minutes I push it back to the house and give it a quick check. Battery voltage -12.6 volts, on the charger jumps to 13.3 quickly and I now can get the starter solenoid to click, headlight is fluttering at a high rate and the gps indicates it drops below running voltage.
Thoughts? Suggestions? Wild ass guesses?
How old is the battery, and how was it maintained?
Old 07-10-2013, 10:16 AM   #25354
cbmma1969
Studly Adventurer

Battery is a possibility and is likely the original. Normally lives on the charger while not being ridden since it will drop below starting voltage in a little over a week sitting. It is already on the list for further checks since I do know they can fail and still show decent voltage. It did start fine 3 or 4 times in the driveway.
The traveler is active; he goes strenuously in search of people, of adventure, or experience. The tourist is passive; he expects interesting things to happen to him. DANIEL J. BOORSTIN, attributed, Voyages of Discover
Old 07-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #25355
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,320
Quote:
Battery is a possibility and is likely the original. Normally lives on the charger while not being ridden since it will drop below starting voltage in a little over a week sitting. It is already on the list for further checks since I do know they can fail and still show decent voltage. It did start fine 3 or 4 times in the driveway.
It's pretty easy to swap out for a new battery, to see if that fixes the issue.

I'm lazy so I usually go after the simplest solutions first.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #25356
BrandonR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Check the connections to the battery, if everything is tight try a fresh battery, that's the easiest likely culprit. Your battery may be 7+ years old, it's done it's duty.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:28 AM   #25357
cbmma1969
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonR View Post
Check the connections to the battery, if everything is tight try a fresh battery, that's the easiest likely culprit. Your battery may be 7+ years old, it's done it's duty.
Connections were checked beside the road. And I agree the battery has done it's duty. Besides it's a good excuse to slide a lithium one in...

One thing that is odd and makes the battery less of a suspect is the high rate headlight blink. It's like a high speed circuit breaker is tripping and resetting.

cbmma1969 screwed with this post 07-10-2013 at 11:28 AM
Old 07-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #25358
g.mccormick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Check voltage while trying to crank. I'm betting the battery voltage drops to near 0. The battery is shot. The missing and the battery are probably two unrelated issues. You just got lucky on the timing.
g.mccormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:18 AM   #25359
cbmma1969
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
The carry on from the lights is one of the things that immediately makes the battery and connections suspect.
Learn something everyday... I've never seen that before.
Some followup. The battery indeed seems to be the culprit. Voltage-12.9 w/ the ignition off, drops to under 10 with the key on and around 5.5 while trying to crank.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:14 PM   #25360
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

I've had great luck w/ the Moty battery. 1.2lbs and it cranks like hell. It's never given any trouble in the 8 months I've had it.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #25361
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Forgot to say $150 shipped for the Moty.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:28 PM   #25362
JonXX
Infraction Collector

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 lunger View Post
I've had great luck w/ the Moty battery. 1.2lbs and it cranks like hell. It's never given any trouble in the 8 months I've had it.
Give it another month or two and report back. My bet is it will have failed (like my MOTY and my Ballistic did).

Shorai FTW. They don't need to "wake up" like the MOTY and Ballistics do, either.

"They" said we couldn't run the OBDR on supermotos...
JonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:20 AM   #25363
cbmma1969
Studly Adventurer

Shorai is on the way, mainly because Happy Trails would make me a deal on one.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:29 AM   #25364
g.mccormick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
What model shorai does everyone get?
g.mccormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:09 AM   #25365
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

I've read plenty of Shorai failures too. I know the Moty doesn't like parasitic electrical draw. If you have a bunch of stuff hooked up to your bike, get a gel battery.