Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #25411
uska
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
In my 08` (will be the same) if I drain it really well (make sure the oil is hot and lean the bike side to side pretty low with both drain plugs off) should take 1.8L. Better to have bit less oil than too much ;) a bit of a pain if you overfill it.
uska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #25412
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
Great, thanks fellow husky riders!
I shall complete my first oil change with care! Hopefully!
TIGERRIDER007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:03 PM   #25413
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,145
Just looked at my new RK z-ring chain and its missing a bunch of the rubber "z" rings. It felt heavy and just not right from day one. I pulled it off and it's a stretched out as the renthal will 3x the use it replaced. It rattles when you shake it. The renthal didn't do that. I've put the old renthal back on. It's got plenty of life left and was soaking in motor oil for the last 5 months. If anyone local wants to pick up the RK sxo 114 link chain I paid $120 for its yours. 06002. I'm going to post it on the karma thread too.
1 lunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:05 AM   #25414
WAP
Weekday Warrior

Oddometer: 970
I may be going to take a look at a used '07 this weekend and was hoping for some guidance in lieu of reading a 1700 page thread .

Anything specific I should look for on a pretty much stock 2007 with approx 5k miles? Is there a way I can get an idea of the cam chain condition without the luxury of being able to take the bike apart on the spot? I assume a slack CC will make a noise?

Are service manuals and/or parts microfiches available online somewheres?

Thanks in advance and maybe you'll be seeing me sign in here officially in the near future.
WAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:10 PM   #25415
FatBob
The name says it all

Oddometer: 420
You can find a service manual HERE

Ride Safe, Ride Often
FatBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #25416
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
I used a t-bolt hose clamp wrap the end in tape to prevent chafe and it make a nice stand-off
Something like this
http://m.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/s...4&ci_sku=19489

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #25417
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Started bike after cam chain, and valves were really loud. Bike prolly ran 1 min.

Already readjusted the valves, the engine is not hot to the touch but do I really need to let it sit 'just to be safe'??
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 07-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #25418
g.mccormick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Yes. The head may not feel too warm, but those valves (especially the exhaust valve) are nice and toasty. Let them cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Started bike after cam chain, and valves were really loud. Bike prolly ran 1 min.

Already readjusted the valves, the engine is not hot to the touch but do I really need to let it sit 'just to be safe'??
g.mccormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #25419
DirtyKid
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Talking

Hey, new advRider here. I don't have a te-610 but i do have an sm-610. Anyways I am planning on converting it into the te-610, and i have a question about using handlebar risers. I recently changed the clutch cable and it seems to just barely fit. So does anyone know where i can find a longer cable? I don't have the risers yet but I plan on picking some up soon.
DirtyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #25420
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyKid View Post
Hey, new advRider here. I don't have a te-610 but i do have an sm-610. Anyways I am planning on converting it into the te-610, and i have a question about using handlebar risers. I recently changed the clutch cable and it seems to just barely fit. So does anyone know where i can find a longer cable? I don't have the risers yet but I plan on picking some up soon.
MotoXotica, Taskey's, Hall's should all have extended clutch cables. The one I've never seen is the throttle enricher dohicky.
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 07-23-2013, 10:15 PM   #25421
BiG DoM
African Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 lunger View Post
What's the thought on running a non O-ring chain on the 610 since I'm only ever riding off road? I wash and oil my oring every ride and would take care of a non oring the same way.
I use a DID X-ring and would not use anything else. Definitely do not use anything cheaper than a O-ring.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... 'Fuck, what a trip!'

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcyclists.
BiG DoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:52 AM   #25422
Taranis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyKid View Post
Barnett and Motion Pro actually make them.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:35 PM   #25423
Fasttrak
Captain Crash

Oddometer: 329
Been a while since I posted in the TE 610 forums, mostly due to the fact I moved into a new bike last year, a 2012 Triumph Explorer. The Husky opened my eyes to the fact riding the street can be almost as much fun as riding in the dirt, plus, most of where I live in CA is off limits where the dirt is concerned.

So, last year I started thinking about what street bike would I like to get and it came down to either the Stelvio or the Explorer. In the end the Explorer won me over on many levels and took possession of it June 14th last year. Two weeks to the day from buying that Explorer, I had the misfortune of hitting a deer while doing about 50 MPH at the apex of a corner, with out thinking about I threw the left foot down, ala dirt biking style, to get back over in the corner and not cook the double yellow. That momentary contact pretty much destroyed my left knee with multiple tibia plateau fractures and displacements. Just over a year past that accident and I am back to work and beginning to ride again, the Triumph and not the Husky, no way to possibly get myself onto the Husky with out carrying a milk crate around.

In that year I went through surgery and therapy both bikes sat there, the Triumph at the dealership I bought it from and the Husky in my garage. The Triumph was pretty much pampered by the dealership and kept on a battery tender the Husky, not so much. Last weekend I was feeling frisky and rolled the Husky out of the garage with the total expectation of that battery being 100% toast, it had been over a year since the key had been inserted and the bike started. So I check a few things over, toss key into slot and turn to on, holy cow, a few lights come to life so there is some juice in that Varta still. Not expecting much I hit the start button and the motor turns a couple times and fires right up??? Are you kidding me?? Never expected that in a million years, I did get a small ride on the bike but with out the ability to firmly stand on my left leg and throw my right leg over means it is probably not going to get ridden for quite some time. I was just blown away that battery is still alive and kicking, most died in the first two years of ownership. Thought a few of you might get a kick out of that, I can now be called a 1% with regards to batteries...

K.B.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #25424
esp41
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by esp41 View Post
I'm leaving for my TAT run in two weeks. Bike has been gone through front to rear (New wheel bearing, sprockets, chain, cam chain, lube everything, reinforced rear rack and way to many farkles to mention).

What bike specific (2006 TE610) spare parts would you carry. Voltage regulator? Capacitor for jumping the bike if the battery (LiPo) dies?

I have the usual extra master link, tire tube and patch kit, etc. I am only wondering what might break on thebike that would be hard to acquire on the road.

Mike
Just a quick followup. TAT completed. Bike worked great. I did not even rejet for high altitude (although it was noticeably down on power over 6K ft). I broke the "reinforced" kickstand. I had it rewelded and then it held. I broke the Lynx fairing (operator error), but was able to get it band aided in Colorado.

Fantastic bike for the trip. I am shipping it home. It's a keeper for now.
1993 Harley Heritage Classic
Tomos ST
esp41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:19 PM   #25425
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
Pics? Ride Report?
Quote:
Originally Posted by esp41 View Post
Just a quick followup. TAT completed. Bike worked great. I did not even rejet for high altitude (although it was noticeably down on power over 6K ft). I broke the "reinforced" kickstand. I had it rewelded and then it held. I broke the Lynx fairing (operator error), but was able to get it band aided in Colorado.

Fantastic bike for the trip. I am shipping it home. It's a keeper for now.
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote