User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #25426
tlking6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
toroweep

Took a bikepacking trip through Utah then down to Toroweep. North rim of the Grand Canyon. This bike is truly amazing!

Old 07-25-2013, 05:18 PM   #25427
huzar
Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer: 2,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrags View Post
Pics? Ride Report?
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=896312
huzar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:09 PM   #25428
Baroquenride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
What LED signal relay to use?

I have a 2008 TE610 and have LED's on the rear and want to put them on the front also. However, I realize that if I put LED's on both ends I'll need to put a LED specific relay flasher on but I don't know anyone that carries such a thing with the two round pin style that these take. Anyone know where I could get one or will I have to do a mod and hook up the flat blade style?
Old 07-27-2013, 09:36 AM   #25429
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,222
Good question! Please post up the answer when you find out.
1 lunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:20 PM   #25430
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
air filter

Maybe a noob question, but getting to know this 06'....

Can the air filter be re-used, washed, dry, and replace?

If not, is there a cheap source for them via the internet?

Muchos gracias!

Riding Highlands Park (Cedartown, GA) tomorrow after changing the oil, should be epic!
TIGERRIDER007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:53 PM   #25431
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

The twin air filter that comes as OE on the 610 are $30+-. Yes, you wash and reoil. It might be a bitch the 1st time if you don't know what filter oil was used, as they all have a different solution to break down the oil.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #25432
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Gas works good on any oil, but will mess up filter glue if used more than a few times.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #25433
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
Thank you again brother Lunger!!!
I'll see what magic I can work with it.
TIGERRIDER007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:34 AM   #25434
BiG DoM
African Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
Kerosene is the go for regular cleaning.
Or a purpose filter cleaner solution from bike shops. If you use kerosine (avoid using gas!) make sure you wash it out with detergent afterwards and dry well before re-oiling with filter oil. Be very careful with the bolts on the air filter cover - do not over tighten ... the studs are a known failure.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... 'Fuck, what a trip!'

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcyclists.
BiG DoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:29 AM   #25435
StolenFant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
No-Toil makes a very good detergent powder filter cleaner that you mix with warm water. It works very well on their filter oils (2), but neither are as highly rated as some of the old standards, PJ1, Uni, etc. Each has a proprietary cleaner, but kerosene followed by No-Toil detergent works very well. I strongly suggest getting a second filter so you always have a spare that is clean, dry and ready to oil. Bel-Ray's waterproof is surprisingly waterproof. It is very important to distribute evenly. A gallon ZipLoc makes this less messy for the pour on or spray on, but Lasted gloves are simplest. This stuff is very messy and doesn't clean up without solvents. They all have alcohol or similar solvent to help make distribution easier, and you should allow a few hours for it to evaporate, otherwise the engine can suck some of the oil out (or in). Lastly don't forget the filter grease! It seals all the joints between filter box and the filter foam. I like No-Toils filter grease because it's so easy to wipe off with soapy paper towel if needed. Next time you have the filter box off, go ahead and JB-Weld those nuts into the back so you can fearlessly use Loc-tite on the screws. If you don't care about aesthetics, use a strip of duct tape to keep screws on the bike WHEN they do back out.

That's my two cents.
Clint

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
StolenFant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:46 AM   #25436
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StolenFant View Post
No-Toil makes a very good detergent powder filter cleaner that you mix with warm water. It works very well on their filter oils (2), but neither are as highly rated as some of the old standards, PJ1, Uni, etc. Each has a proprietary cleaner, but kerosene followed by No-Toil detergent works very well. I strongly suggest getting a second filter so you always have a spare that is clean, dry and ready to oil. Bel-Ray's waterproof is surprisingly waterproof. It is very important to distribute evenly. A gallon ZipLoc makes this less messy for the pour on or spray on, but Lasted gloves are simplest. This stuff is very messy and doesn't clean up without solvents. They all have alcohol or similar solvent to help make distribution easier, and you should allow a few hours for it to evaporate, otherwise the engine can suck some of the oil out (or in). Lastly don't forget the filter grease! It seals all the joints between filter box and the filter foam. I like No-Toils filter grease because it's so easy to wipe off with soapy paper towel if needed. Next time you have the filter box off, go ahead and JB-Weld those nuts into the back so you can fearlessly use Loc-tite on the screws. If you don't care about aesthetics, use a strip of duct tape to keep screws on the bike WHEN they do back out.

That's my two cents.
Clint

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Hey Clint, what are you doing over here? Couldn't stay away? How's the ktm treating you?
Old 07-28-2013, 08:20 AM   #25437
Taranis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by StolenFant View Post
Lastly don't forget the filter grease! It seals all the joints between filter box and the filter foam. I like No-Toils filter grease because it's so easy to wipe off with soapy paper towel if needed. Next time you have the filter box off, go ahead and JB-Weld those nuts into the back so you can fearlessly use Loc-tite on the screws. If you don't care about aesthetics, use a strip of duct tape to keep screws on the bike WHEN they do back out.
How to deal with the thread inserts.

I use grease on the filter seat in my YZ, which has a different style of filter, but on the Husky, I've seen no evidence that it would be of any benefit. There's good contact all the way around. On the other hand, make sure the rubber boot from the airbox to the carb is properly seated on the airbox. It's another place Mario or Luigi has been known to be sloppy at the factory.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #25438
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

If I could get some billet shift levers made for the 610 would you buy them?? I have a friend / riding buddy that owns a shop with laser cutters and I'm thinking about having him do a run of them. I just need to know if people would buy them? I would have them made so the Hammer head tips fit perfect.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:20 PM   #25439
BiG DoM
African Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
Did you really mean to direct all of that at me, or was it for the benefit of TIGER?

It is usually enough to just dry the filter, but the detergent certainly won't hurt anything.
For the benefit of TIGER indeed - I was just noting that it is best to clean any solvent residue out for best life of the foam...and that one does not want to oil a still damp filter.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... 'Fuck, what a trip!'

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcyclists.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:22 PM   #25440
BiG DoM
African Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 lunger View Post
If I could get some billet shift levers made for the 610 would you buy them?? I have a friend / riding buddy that owns a shop with laser cutters and I'm thinking about having him do a run of them. I just need to know if people would buy them? I would have them made so the Hammer head tips fit perfect.
I am sure you will have takers as nothing plug and play out there that I have seen. I am sure you will get takers from the CafeH side as well. I have an alu one off a 510 I think that I am still going to see if it works ... or can be made to