Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #25456
bully1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
40+ extra pounds & a bit taller bike could be a disadvantage for any rider in tight conditions regardless of skill level.

yes the 40 pounds in weight but my 510 is 2 inches taller than my 610. But I know what you mean the 510 is very capable and I love it, just point it at anything and apply throttle and hold on.
'92 R100GSPD ( modified)...........slow and easy
bully1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:03 PM   #25457
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
The 610 is a very capable bike! It's not going to work at the MX track very well, but as for offload its very handy! I use mine for longer double track and tight gnarly single track. I only have the one bike right now and I make it work. If and when I can have a 2nd bike, it will be a 450 or 510. This is kinda unsolicited, but trying to answer Tigers question. The 450-510 will be a bit easier for the hard stuff. The 610 can do it, just not as easy as the smaller bikes. Good luck, I hope you find a good used 450-510.
1 lunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:47 PM   #25458
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
Roger that.
I do appreciate a smart ass comment every now and then.
Yes, the trail was not that difficult until (for my skill level, so yes the rider) I saw the rider ahead of me stop, I was already in the rut banking left uphill, and had to grab brakes, put my left foot down and there was no ground, so over I went. Oh well, most of it was the rider, but there are sometimes when you fall over, no matter how many years you've been on two wheels.

The 610 is an awesome bike, and if I HAD to keep it, (as brother 1Lunger states) it would be a stellar all-arounder.

But, since life is short, and I would like to do more off road parks/ single tracks, I will seek the next best weapon within my budget, 450 or 510.

Notice I didn't say katoom, no thank you, would love to find a Husky 450/510 set up for more off roading.

I had a nice young gentleman pm me out in CA with a trade offer on what I seek, damn! I think most shipping companies charge, what, $500-800?

Well, we will see what happens, I'm not in a super big hurry and will ride this beast more of course, I just want to catch a little more air off the future jumps!
Old 07-30-2013, 06:22 PM   #25459
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRIDER007 View Post
Roger that.
I do appreciate a smart ass comment every now and then.
Yes, the trail was not that difficult until (for my skill level, so yes the rider) I saw the rider ahead of me stop, I was already in the rut banking left uphill, and had to grab brakes, put my left foot down and there was no ground, so over I went. Oh well, most of it was the rider, but there are sometimes when you fall over, no matter how many years you've been on two wheels.

The 610 is an awesome bike, and if I HAD to keep it, (as brother 1Lunger states) it would be a stellar all-arounder.

But, since life is short, and I would like to do more off road parks/ single tracks, I will seek the next best weapon within my budget, 450 or 510.

Notice I didn't say katoom, no thank you, would love to find a Husky 450/510 set up for more off roading.

I had a nice young gentleman pm me out in CA with a trade offer on what I seek, damn! I think most shipping companies charge, what, $500-800?

Well, we will see what happens, I'm not in a super big hurry and will ride this beast more of course, I just want to catch a little more air off the future jumps!
If you put a Rekluse Auto clutch on it I guarantee your confidence & ability will improve 40 to 50%. & you will not part with this bike. I say this from first hand experience.
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:24 AM   #25460
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

I hear you AZ TOM, those rekluse clutches make life a little easier from what I hear.
Life is short, so get what you want, and I want this 610 to go to someone who will care for it and make a connection , and really ride it.
So, I will search for the Husky 450/510 off road machine, or maybe even a 310 .....

Not getting any younger, so I want to enjoy riding off road while I can.

Okay, now I'm ready for smart ass comments.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:17 AM   #25461
Taranis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
I hear you AZ TOM, those rekluse clutches make life a little easier from what I hear.
Life is short, so get what you want, and I want this 610 to go to someone who will care for it and make a connection , and really ride it.
So, I will search for the Husky 450/510 off road machine, or maybe even a 310 .....

Not getting any younger, so I want to enjoy riding off road while I can.

Okay, now I'm ready for smart ass comments.
Depends whether you need a plate, and whether you can plate an off-road bike in GA. I was going to suggest the 310, but note that I like the 250/310 motor better before the redesign.

If you can plate an off-road bike, or if you don't actually need the plate, I would go with a YZ250F. Split the cases, throw in first gear from a WR for really technical stuff, put in a Hot Rods stroker crank and your preference of the several 290 big bore setups, all drop-in, no machining needed, and you have a 306 with Yamaha bulletproofness and parts availability combined with MX bike light weight.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:45 PM   #25462
uska
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
1lunger, I'm still patiently waiting on the asv lever part numbers ;)

I would also grab one of the shift levers.
uska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:07 AM   #25463
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by uska View Post
1lunger, I'm still patiently waiting on the asv lever part numbers ;)

I would also grab one of the shift levers.
Here's the deal with the levers. I was getting the ASV pro pack 3, but they up graded me to the C5 levers. I talked to Jason at ASV and got a confirmation that they were shipped, so I should have them by 8/6 or 8/7. I get you all the info as soon as I get them. Or you can call Jason at ASV and order right away.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:10 AM   #25464
Lav1200
Pig Pen

Oddometer: 1,190
Quote:
If you are serious about single-track, you should also consider a 250 2-stroke endure. I use my 610 for the fast fire-road riding, but also have a Gas Gas EC250 for single-track. The flickability of a 250 smoker is incredible... and so much fun to ride. Takes a bit of change in riding technique, but will give you an ear-to-ear grin once you master it.
Lav1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #25465
K7MDL
TE450, TE610

Oddometer: 1,545
I happen to be selling 2 TE450s, a 2006 with Rekluse and a 2007. on page 493 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...77466&page=493 and on CL in Seattle.

I am moving to Florida and hitting the road in about 2 weeks. I am still trying to figure out if I will trailer my street bike down or not, and if I do I may have room on the trailer for a 450 :-).

But for trails, especially if you are not an advanced ST rider, I would also suggest a 250 class bike. You only use the lower half of the throttle on a 450 and the TE450 turning radius is not as good as the smaller bikes for those sharp switchbacks. I ride the 610 and 450 on the same trails, but would really rather have a 310 at times. Have no need for a trail bike in SW Florida though :-).
K7MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #25466
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by K7MDL View Post
I happen to be selling 2 TE450s, a 2006 with Rekluse and a 2007. on page 493 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...77466&page=493 and on CL in Seattle.

I am moving to Florida and hitting the road in about 2 weeks. I am still trying to figure out if I will trailer my street bike down or not, and if I do I may have room on the trailer for a 450 :-).

But for trails, especially if you are not an advanced ST rider, I would also suggest a 250 class bike. You only use the lower half of the throttle on a 450 and the TE450 turning radius is not as good as the smaller bikes for those sharp switchbacks. I ride the 610 and 450 on the same trails, but would really rather have a 310 at times. Have no need for a trail bike in SW Florida though :-).

I hear ya'!
I would agree you with on the 310, I think this would be ideal for me and my needs, however, the budget says "no can do" on this one. I had a te450 local and the price was under $2k, but that didn't work out.
These 310's start just out of reach. That's why I started looking at 450's.

Do you think the 450 can handle an occasional motocross track and trails?

Both your bikes sound great by the way, just out of reach for me though.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:11 PM   #25467
K7MDL
TE450, TE610

Oddometer: 1,545
Quote:
I hear ya'!
I would agree you with on the 310, I think this would be ideal for me and my needs, however, the budget says "no can do" on this one. I had a te450 local and the price was under $2k, but that didn't work out.
These 310's start just out of reach. That's why I started looking at 450's.

Do you think the 450 can handle an occasional motocross track and trails?

Both your bikes sound great by the way, just out of reach for me though.
I use my 450 on tough ST and desert trails regularly. Just requires more manhandling at times, stock suspension suspension tends to deflect you off obstacles like a pogo stick. If you have skills, it will work fine. My son did OK on his TE50 (the 2007) and he is a novice ST rider. The plastics have trail rash from his efforts. Tough bikes they can take a beating. Maintenance is simple.

They are 270+ and that does take some of the fun out especially if you have to lift it a lot. The carb'd version does not need a battery to run and has electric and kick start. They will overheat in 1st gear type trail riding, especially if you have a radiator guard that does not allow the use of the stock louvers. I installed a fan on mine to compensate.

Many 610 frame/brake/wheel/control parts are interchangeable with the 450. I think even the recluse can be made to fit both I hear. Installing a steering damper and a recluse make the bike more fun and easier in the switchbacks and sand.

I found a great deal on my 450s but had the 310 in mind, was too new so said to myself that I will try the used 450 and switch to the 310 later when they hit the used market. Until a few weeks ago I had a dialed in TE610 and the 450 created lot of functional overlap. The 250/310 would be more complimentary. Once I sell the street bike will likely end up on a Super Tenere now that I am soon to be home based out of Florida. Moab is now twice as far.
K7MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #25468
Dudsamoto
El Ruko Moto

Oddometer: 217
Centerstand?

I posted in a flea market WTB ad but figured I might have better luck here...
So here goes nuthin..... Would anyone have a Cigar Mikes TE610 centerstand for sale? It appears Mike is out of the biz of making stands, as all PM's and e-mails have gone unanswered. I may have to resort to making my own, I hate to reinvent the wheel though, when I could spend my time on other things,
(like reinforcing the subframe) Thanks.

"They told me I was gonna have to work for a living,but all I wanna do is ride"
Jackson Browne- The Road and the Sky
Dudsamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #25469
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

coolant

Hey, on an 06, is the place to add coolant near the frame neck in front of the radiator? Can I put any coolant in?
I started it up and it started to smoke a bit , smelled like something burnin', any ideas?
Old 08-07-2013, 04:11 PM   #25470
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Oil dripping from valve cover on header. That is the overflow bottle. It should have a bit of fluid in it, but you ad via the rad cap.