Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #25561
tlking6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 lunger View Post
I was going to do the same thing. How much was the full set of plastic? I'm on the fence now because I might be (99% sure) getting a 2011 570 berg and I have an almost full set of the red and black plastic I paid $100 for from an ex TE owner.
I'll try to dig up the receipts but I'm thinking it was around $120? I do get a 15% discount through them so that helped.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #25562
His Pistolship
Kp calm, shoot alfas

Oddometer: 395
Hi All,

My '08 610 seems to be developing a leak near the head of the motor, and I think it is leaking oil. There has always been a slow leak there, but now it is getting worse. I'll take a pic later.

Anyone had issues with this. I bought the bike when it had 1300 miles on it, and it looked like there was a massive leak coming up out of the top of the motor, but that he had cleaned it up real nice (I still noticed it). I've since put another 5 k miles on the bike with no issues other than this growing leak of some sort.

I only see "oil" leaking out of the right side of the motor near the top end, and it looks like it is coming from the long bolts that hold the top end on, as well as the spark plug cover.

Any ideas? Again, sorry for not posting pics. I'll try to remember to take some pics later.

Cheers.
His Pistolship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #25563
uska
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by His Pistolship View Post
Hi All,

My '08 610 seems to be developing a leak near the head of the motor, and I think it is leaking oil. There has always been a slow leak there, but now it is getting worse. I'll take a pic later.

Anyone had issues with this. I bought the bike when it had 1300 miles on it, and it looked like there was a massive leak coming up out of the top of the motor, but that he had cleaned it up real nice (I still noticed it). I've since put another 5 k miles on the bike with no issues other than this growing leak of some sort.

I only see "oil" leaking out of the right side of the motor near the top end, and it looks like it is coming from the long bolts that hold the top end on, as well as the spark plug cover.

Any ideas? Again, sorry for not posting pics. I'll try to remember to take some pics later.

Cheers.
I had a leak through the main valve cover, as well as my friend does. At ~5k miles. I removed the valve cover head, put high temp rtv silicone and had no other leaks since.
uska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #25564
His Pistolship
Kp calm, shoot alfas

Sounds about right. I'll check on that. I didn't think it was too serious in nature.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #25565
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,124
These bikes leak from the valve covers inspection ports and the bolts that hold them on. It's nothing to worry about. Next time you check the valve spec, put some "Right Stuff" on the bolt threads. The oil migrates up the threads and the copper washers don't stop it.
1 lunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:10 PM   #25566
His Pistolship
Kp calm, shoot alfas

Makes sense. Thank you.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:51 AM   #25567
JustBob
Uh...who me?

Oddometer: 669
Hey guys, just checking in with a new to me TE450. Since I couldn't find that thread to lurk, I thought I'd lurk y'all. Mine is a 2010 TE450 with 1550 miles. Runs like a scalded dog. Gonna take it for a valve service and check up just to get a baseline.
'11 WR250R
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #25568
speedygee68
dirt eater

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
These bikes leak from the valve covers inspection ports and the bolts that hold them on. It's nothing to worry about. Next time you check the valve spec, put some "Right Stuff" on the bolt threads. The oil migrates up the threads and the copper washers don't stop it.
WOW!! I was just about to take my scoot in for this very same issue. '08TE610 and exact leaky leaky stuff. My stomach doesn't hurt so much now. Thanks for this info.

08 KTM 990S, 08 Husky TE610,
speedygee68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #25569
tlking6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedygee68 View Post
WOW!! I was just about to take my scoot in for this very same issue. '08TE610 and exact leaky leaky stuff. My stomach doesn't hurt so much now. Thanks for this info.
Double up on the paper gaskets. I tried a few different things and this finally worked for me.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:22 PM   #25570
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 740
engine cases

Anyone need 2006 engine cases...check the flea market
TIGERRIDER007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #25571
CO-or-bust
Wobbly Barn

Oddometer: 168
Question 15/40 tooth for 2,000+ miles of slabbin' it to CO???

PRE-planning for a hopeful 30'ish day trek from NJ to CO next year --- Yup, on my TE610 (quite a few aftermarket tweaks, like the Renazco Racing seat, Safari tank, etc. to make it more "Adventure" worthy...)

Planning to ride out on some 70/30 street oriented rubber (like Pirelli MT 90 Scorpion's, or something along those lines --- open to suggestions, btw) and will have a new Pirelli MT21 knobby and a MT43 Trials tire waiting for me to spoon on for my riding and exploring CO and a bit of UT .

Hall's has 40, 50, and 51 OEM sprockets on sale for $30 each right now and I'm thinking about trying a 15/40 combo to pair up with the Scorpions for the slab ride out --- theoretically should make for a much smoother trek out there, right? I've checked on www.gearingcommander.com and there would only be a minor chain adjustment switching from 15/40 to 14/47 and no adding/subtracting links, etc. = seems pretty straightforward. THE QUESTION: Does anyone have any real hands-on experience (or strong theoretical knowledge) with this, or similar gearing? Should it work? What am I missing??? Note: Don't think I'm interested in going to the 50 or 51 for my trail riding, cuz I'll still be looking to get around CO and UT quite a bit, not close to 100% Trails --- think I'll stick with my current 47 paired with a 14...

For $30, I'm tempted to pull the trigger and just try it, but again am WIDE open to thoughts and/or suggestions...
Old 09-16-2013, 05:49 PM   #25572
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by COorbust View Post
PRE-planning for a hopeful 30'ish day trek from NJ to CO next year --- Yup, on my TE610 (quite a few aftermarket tweaks, like the Renazco Racing seat, Safari tank, etc. to make it more "Adventure" worthy...)

Planning to ride out on some 70/30 street oriented rubber (like Pirelli MT 90 Scorpion's, or something along those lines --- open to suggestions, btw) and will have a new Pirelli MT21 knobby and a MT43 Trials tire waiting for me to spoon on for my riding and exploring CO and a bit of UT .

Hall's has 40, 50, and 51 OEM sprockets on sale for $30 each right now and I'm thinking about trying a 15/40 combo to pair up with the Scorpions for the slab ride out --- theoretically should make for a much smoother trek out there, right? I've checked on www.gearingcommander.com and there would only be a minor chain adjustment switching from 15/40 to 14/47 and no adding/subtracting links, etc. = seems pretty straightforward. THE QUESTION: Does anyone have any real hands-on experience (or strong theoretical knowledge) with this, or similar gearing? Should it work? What am I missing??? Note: Don't think I'm interested in going to the 50 or 51 for my trail riding, cuz I'll still be looking to get around CO and UT quite a bit, not close to 100% Trails --- think I'll stick with my current 47 paired with a 14...

For $30, I'm tempted to pull the trigger and just try it, but again am WIDE open to thoughts and/or suggestions...
You, Sir, are a brave man! NJ to CO is a very long ride! 15/40 should work fine. I think a 16 will fit as long as you don't have a case guard. The OEM deal for $30, is that for rears too? BTW, hope you enjoyed yourself up at Hell in the hills yesterday!! I know I did! There's nothing better that passing guys on KTM 300 and the like with the 300lb 610, blasting up a nasty, rocky, mucky, hill! A couple of them got a little to close while I was dropping into one of the many mud bogs and got what looked like shovels full of mud from head to toe. I'm so glad I had a fresh MT16 on for that ride. One guy even said the 50 ft rule isn't good enough when he's behind me.:rolf
1 lunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:20 PM   #25573
His Pistolship
Kp calm, shoot alfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by COorbust View Post

One thing to keep in mind; when you load up your bike with more weight you may not have enough power to pull the higher gearing, especially while on dirt and even while slabbing. After doing the TET S on a husky 610 with 40 lbs of luggage and stock gearing I found that I would have preferred to go even lower in my gearing not higher. The bike would still pull sixth gear in the sand/dirt, but if I would have dropped the front sprocket one tooth it would have been perfect. I'll do that for my next trip, even if it involves much slab.

Just some thoughts.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #25574
His Pistolship
Kp calm, shoot alfas

One other thing I would recommend is Pivot Pegs - they are amazing.

For seating I went with a seat concepts seat that I installed myself coupled with a large air hawk. Never have really had a problem with soreness even though I am a pretty heavy guy. I did other addons too.

The seat concepts seat was $120 I think.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:24 PM   #25575
withiam
Philogynist

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
I put my loaded 09 610 up for sale this summer for $4800 and got nothing, but Husqy just had to have another fire sale right after I listed it. You could get a new 449-511 or terra for $6k. That's over now, so...
Do you have a TE or SM?
withiam is offline   Reply With Quote