Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2008, 09:43 AM   #7531
druboyd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Ok, let me ask you guys another question. Yesterday I was in a shop locally and the counter guy kept telling me that I should flush my cooling system and add (engine ice?) or something along those lines. My question to him
was, are there any compatibility issues? I never got a straight answer, he just kept saying it would lower my eng temp by 4 to 5 degrees. Anyone on here have any experience with alternative cooling products? What does the manual call for
Old 09-05-2008, 09:47 AM   #7532
Anders Green
NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer: 2,001
Pretty much.... use normal (aluminum compatible coolant) if you're doing normal things. Maybe switch to Redline water-wetter if you're racing, but don't keep it in there (no corrosion protection). Switch to the Evans coolant system if you've built something ridiculously crazy.

Lowering your temp does you zero good if you're not overheating. The Carnot efficiency of the engine goes down... a colder engine makes less power.

Anders
Old 09-05-2008, 09:52 AM   #7533
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
When I lived in Tucson I had the first Triumph T595 in '97 and it ran brutally hot and would peg the temp guage. The solution was to drain all the "coolant" and add distilled water and Redline WaterWetter. In the winter I'd add anti-freeze. "Coolant" is a misnomer in that it actually keeps things a little warmer and doesn't disapate heat as well as just plain water.
So with a properly working thermostat, the engine should still reach the same, working operating temperature, but when things start getting hot, the WaterWetter will contribute noticably to keeping temps under the limit.
Having said all of that, I wasn't aware of any heat issues with the TE610. It's been really rare I even get the fan to kick on.
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:37 AM   #7534
toddler
Unpronouncible

Oddometer: 2,719
08 te610 stock battery quality question

situation:

riding tight technical singletrack and stalling the bike many times as the gearing is too high for tight tree banging. Basically walking speed for many miles.

question:

how good is the stock battery on these things for lots of restarts. Anyone have their battery just get tired on them and not get you restarted?

Being FI I doubt a kickstart would do any good.

Thanks.

BTW, the fan will come on and stay on in this type of riding. So I'll keep it on the bike and not remove it as some have done.
toddler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:01 AM   #7535
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,947
Most will tell ya that the stock battery sucks, and it has for most people I suppose. My '06 is still running on the stock (varta??) and have had no issues... I was riding pennsylvania gulch in Boulder last weekend, bike took a couple naps in the rocks and the battery had no issues restarting after cranking for a minute due to flooding...

I will replace it this winter though, for peace of mind.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:20 AM   #7536
bass_on_tap
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddler
situation:

riding tight technical singletrack and stalling the bike many times as the gearing is too high for tight tree banging. Basically walking speed for many miles.

question:

how good is the stock battery on these things for lots of restarts. Anyone have their battery just get tired on them and not get you restarted?

Being FI I doubt a kickstart would do any good.

Thanks.

BTW, the fan will come on and stay on in this type of riding. So I'll keep it on the bike and not remove it as some have done.
The battery has a tendency of going bad in a wink, little or no warning and usually when you are in the middle of nowhere. So either take your chances, push your luck and hope for the best or replace it.
Also, most have lowered the gearing some. Either a 14t counter sprocket or a 48 rear, same thing. Makes single track easier. Also, learn to use the clutch when needed to keep the revs up or the engine running in the tight stuff.
bass_on_tap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:37 PM   #7537
BikeSDP
Reluctantly Crouched

Oddometer: 499
Free Helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek
I spent the entire day enjoying some of Colorado's finest single track.

Yeah.. some of it was a bit gnarly on a big bike like the 610... but that just made it that much more of an adventure

Must be a nice place to ride where one can find free gear (like the helmet in this case). What else did you find there?
BikeSDP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:50 PM   #7538
deepcdiver
Nobody Special

Oddometer: 778
Aftermaket TE610 Seat Poll: Narrow or Comfy?

I delivered my TE610 to Corbin Seats yesterday for product development. Was chatting with them about the type of seat thye had in mind. They could have a narrow seat (very similar dimensions to the Renazco), like the one they have recently released for the TE450, or a wider one along the lines of the Bill Mayer seat shown here ealier.

The TE610 really attracts performance dirt riders coming from DRZ's, as well as fire road tourers coming from KLR's/DR's. So seat design could go either way. While theycould offer both styles of seats, they say it would require two molds.

So here is a poll, which MAY actually influence the product design:

Would you prefer a narrower Renazco shape seat, slightly wider than stock (about 8" at the widest part) like their newly released TE450 seat seen here?
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2008, 12:55 PM   #7539
Lav1200
Pig Pen

Oddometer: 1,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcdiver
Would you prefer a narrower Renazco shape seat, slightly wider than stock (about 8" at the widest part) like their newly released TE450 seat seen here?
My vote is for the narrow (a la Renazco) version. But ask them to make it light... not like the boat anchor Corbin seat currently on my wife's DR.
Lav1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:59 PM   #7540
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
Corbins are comfortable, but I don't know why they're as heavy as a sack of bricks. My take is, if you don't do hours of road miles to get to the fun stuff, stay on the narrower side, but if, like me, you ride 3, 5, 8 hours to get the fun stuff, go as wide as you can get away with. Nothing worse than a 5 hour, ass-burning ride home on the road.
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:00 PM   #7541
deepcdiver
Nobody Special

Or...

would you prefer something along the lines of the wider Mayer seat seen here?
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2008, 01:03 PM   #7542
deepcdiver
Nobody Special

If possible, so I can quickly and easily sift thru this and get the results to Corbin in the next couple of days, please limit your response to "narrower" or "wider".

I realise this will be like herding cats

But I need a quick poll result.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:16 PM   #7543
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,947
How about wider in the back and narrow in the front??
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:25 PM   #7544
deepcdiver
Nobody Special

Uhmmmmm, look at the pix...they are both wider in the back an narrow at the front.

Tell ya'll what: I do not see a Poll function here, if you want input to the Corbin seat offering, send me a PM, I do not want this post to invade the thread.

And yes the Corbins are heavy, because they use a fiberglass pan. But you can order off the rack and still have your original seat. So myself, am keeping the light stock seat for local dirt days, and ordering one Mayer style for my dual-sport trips that i purchased the bike for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas Altas
How about wider in the back and narrow in the front??
Old 09-05-2008, 01:42 PM   #7545
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,781
I figured you guys might get a kick out of some more of the single track pics from yesterday...

Sometimes you choose the line, sometimes it choose you.
Why do I need knobbies? My tires aren't on the ground

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote