Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2007, 06:15 AM   #751
ronsolo
Hooplehead

Oddometer: 826
XFool, very nice piccies, looks like fun.
ronsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:00 AM   #752
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xfool
davevh:

A ranger once inspected my bike. I weasel through it by mentioning the stock exhaust had a catalytic converter in it. He let me go but recommended I get a USFS approved SuperTrapp exhaust. That suggestion angered me from a noise standpoint, but I totally get the need for a USFS approved exhaust.
Ask the Ranger to show you a stamp on the vehicle he is driving, A vehicle with a Cat is a Spark arrestor, That is what I have been told, I know it is a pain in the arse and most forest personnel don't know squat, legal or otherwise. I worried about it also, but to me the stock pipe was too loud ( stamped meets 80db noise level) Yeah right at 5 miles away, so I bought a LeoVince and installed a Yoshimura spark arrestor quiet core in it, Still not as good as I would like but it is lighter and removes the hotbox cat, till someone makes a quiet pipe it will have to do, But It also does not have anything stamped on it though, as even the Leo Vince spark arrestor was just a screen at the outlet.

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:39 AM   #753
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,667
Well, I got an answer from Pro Moto Billet. I'd asked for dimensions on their end caps so I could adapt one. They don't want to talk about dimensions. Looks like I'll have to find a shop that stocks a few and see what's close in size. It wouldn't be that hard to massage an aluminum pipe to fit a different end cap.

Yeah, it does have a cat in it, but that isn't marked either. That makes ME feel better, at least I won't be starting fires. I just don't want to have to argue with the man...and as loud as this thing is it's bound to happen.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:42 AM   #754
ronsolo
Hooplehead

Oddometer: 826
Get a hold of an 07 pipe from someone selling one. Those have the little sheild built on to them.
ronsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:51 AM   #755
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,707
Quote:
This thread is useless without pics.... Hold on dial-uppers

What bars are you running XFool? TIA

Dan
buffallodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:52 AM   #756
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwamf
Ask the Ranger to show you a stamp on the vehicle he is driving, A vehicle with a Cat is a Spark arrestor, That is what I have been told, I know it is a pain in the arse and most forest personnel don't know squat, legal or otherwise. I worried about it also, but to me the stock pipe was too loud ( stamped meets 80db noise level) Yeah right at 5 miles away, so I bought a LeoVince and installed a Yoshimura spark arrestor quiet core in it, Still not as good as I would like but it is lighter and removes the hotbox cat, till someone makes a quiet pipe it will have to do, But It also does not have anything stamped on it though, as even the Leo Vince spark arrestor was just a screen at the outlet.
Is there a particular Yosh core? Link? TIA,
I really like the idea of making the pipe more quiet...

Dan

buffallodan screwed with this post 04-23-2007 at 12:05 PM
Old 04-23-2007, 12:24 PM   #757
hahmule
Balding Gloriously

Oddometer: 591
Starting when wet

I reply to Ted about starting after getting wet. Sorry Ted, I'm still learning to navigate this site, missed your question. The first time I mangaged to get the bike up within seconds, not enough time for much water to soak in. Simply pushed it up an embankment as far as I could to get the front wheel up and triggered the starter a few times and she started right up!. The second time we were in the water longer and did the same thing but it would'nt start. Took the filter off and sprayed some WD-40 into the screen at the back of the filter while cranking the starter and Brrrraup! Squeezed out the filter and kept goin. WD-40 mini can never leave home without it.
hahmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:14 PM   #758
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget
I reply to Ted about starting after getting wet. Sorry Ted, I'm still learning to navigate this site, missed your question. The first time I mangaged to get the bike up within seconds, not enough time for much water to soak in. Simply pushed it up an embankment as far as I could to get the front wheel up and triggered the starter a few times and she started right up!. The second time we were in the water longer and did the same thing but it would'nt start. Took the filter off and sprayed some WD-40 into the screen at the back of the filter while cranking the starter and Brrrraup! Squeezed out the filter and kept goin. WD-40 mini can never leave home without it.
I hope you take the sparkplug out next time that happens, if any water gets thru the carb into the combustion chamber, hitting the start button can hydrolock your engine in a second (water won't compress, pistons will break, rods will bend etc.)
Tilt your bike up (wheelie) to make sure exhaust is free off water, remove sparkplug & use short burst's of magic button (preferably kickstarter if there is one), if no water comes out, then its safe to restart the engine. If you do have water in the engine, keep turning it over untill no more shoots out the sparkplug hole & check you oil, chances are good it'll need numerous fill ups & drains to get all the H2O out

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:24 PM   #759
Ted West
n00b-ish

Oddometer: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget
Thanks for the info. I went out last spring after heavy rains and about a month after buying my bike. It had been 24 years since my last bike and although it's like "riding a bike" some parts do come back slower than others. Plus a 300+ lb. 610 4-stroke dual sport takes some getting used to considering my last bike was a 175cc 2-stroke enduro ('83 KDX). So anyway, I dropped deep into a valley of woe and water and suffered hours of struggling and near water death experiences. Oh, and of course I was by myself. The experience has really made me leery of water crossings. This is a major departure from my riding youth. I was slow to develop fear back then and now it seems to happen freely and regularly. Probably not at bad thing given life's new responsibilities. Anyway, I'm sure it's coming I'm just not looking forward to my first full submersion.

-Ted

PS I just read that and I sound old. I got to snap out of it and get out there and get dirty!!
'81 Husqvarna 250XC
Ted West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:25 PM   #760
Ted West
n00b-ish

Oddometer: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffus
I hope you take the sparkplug out next time that happens, if any water gets thru the carb into the combustion chamber, hitting the start button can hydrolock your engine in a second (water won't compress, pistons will break, rods will bend etc.)
Tilt your bike up (wheelie) to make sure exhaust is free off water, remove sparkplug & use short burst's of magic button (preferably kickstarter if there is one), if no water comes out, then its safe to restart the engine. If you do have water in the engine, keep turning it over untill no more shoots out the sparkplug hole & check you oil, chances are good it'll need numerous fill ups & drains to get all the H2O out
Solid
'81 Husqvarna 250XC
Ted West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 01:50 AM   #761
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,667
Well, my 5.0 black tank showed up a day early. Figures I'm in the middle of another project.

I stopped by cycle gear and rifled thru their promoto billet spark arrestors until I found one that measured close to my rough measurements. I figured at 3.5" x 5" would get me close to the stock end cap.

It did. Almost a perfect match. It's their end cap for a YZ426F.

I tried drilling out the rivets and popping the stock end cap off the pipe, I gave up since it looked like I'd booger up the pipe if I tried any harder. So I broke out the cut off wheel and sliced the end cap off.

Darn close.

That's going to look pretty good and take some heat off the turn signal.

I need to cut off the stepped part for a better fit.

I need some longer rivets and the use of the power tools to clearance the inside of the pipe for the screen cone...I'll give the fam a break and save the noise for later.

The end cap fits so well that I feel much better about cutting up a brand new $130 billet part.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:29 AM   #762
husky123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
That'a awesome...now let's get that tank on!
husky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:08 AM   #763
Xfool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffallodan
What bars are you running XFool? TIA

Dan
Bars are FMX Pastrana bend.

I was happy with the stock bars but bent them. For a replacement I wanted the highest bars I could find. The Pastrana’s are only slightly higher than stock and have a funky elbows out bend.

Warning: The hoodlum elbows out bend will affect your road riding manners physically and mentally.
Xfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 07:11 AM   #764
Ditch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,017
Larryboy, let us know how that sounds when you're done. It looks like it will be great
Wendell
Old 04-24-2007, 07:18 AM   #765
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Bars are FMX Pastrana bend.

I was happy with the stock bars but bent them. For a replacement I wanted the highest bars I could find. The Pastrana’s are only slightly higher than stock and have a funky elbows out bend.

Warning: The hoodlum elbows out bend will affect your road riding manners physically and mentally.
Does that mean they have more sweep? My hands bother me because the stock bars don't have enough sweep, putting pressure more on the inside of them...hoping to find some taller bars with maybe a 1/2" more sweep. TIA

Dan