User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2007, 08:55 PM   #796
offroute
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Two 610s in Utah...

Fletch and I have just returned from Utah. Warming up on a one day White Rim and then following that with another 600 miles, nearly all dirt, circumnavigating Canyonlands. Starting in Moab, we proceeded on dirt over Hurrah Pass through Lockhart Basin, the Needles, the Abajos, Natural Bridges and down to Hite. From Hite it was back north through the Land of Standing Rocks, the Flint Trail, Horseshoe Canyon, Green River and Back to Moab. Four long days with everything from techical slickrock, to long sand washes, to deep mud high in the Abajos.

Loaded with new 5 gallon tanks, plus a 1 gallon reserve. Two gallons of water, full camping gear and food - our bikes had to weigh in at well over 400 pounds each. Yet after pounding them hard for five days, nothing failed... Amazing motorcycles. Amazing trip.

A full ride report will be written over the next few days and I'll post a link to it here. For now, here's a teaser pic from an easy stretch on Day Three of the big loop:

BTW - Five gallons in the new tank will get you 190 miles before ever even hitting the first reserve petcock. Glad those things arrived before we left.

If we don't change direction soon, we'll end up where we're going.
offroute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:40 PM   #797
Hoder
Card carrying greeny

Oddometer: 1,019
Note to self:
Go to Utah before you die.

Dave:
The 610 really makes me want to ride like a punk everywhere I go.
bikefrk:
You now understand supermoto.
Your training is complete.
Hoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:57 AM   #798
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,348
4.3 IMS tank

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:40 AM   #799
parkolay
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Front wheel drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwamf
If you mounted the saw on the front you could add front wheel drive, sort of like the Honda "chirstini" variant seen in Dirt Bike AKA Honda mag.
parkolay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:51 AM   #800
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,348
Didn't someone post a pic of a KTM with that "Chainsaw drive"?

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 01:27 AM   #801
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,700
How'd all those pesky klr threads get ahead of us?

I added the quiet core to the spark arrestor. I can't tell if it's any quieter? I'm legal for a visual spark arrestor inspection and have done my best to reduce the noise. Time for riding...single track day on saturday.

Old 05-04-2007, 10:10 PM   #802
MoonRock
High Energy Atomic Nuclei

Oddometer: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted West
Nice shot. I agree about the beatings. When I bought mine I thought (and still think) it was so pretty that I dreaded dropping it. Since then I've more than dropped it, I've pitched it off steep uphills, and even tossed it upside-down into a stonewall at a respectable clip. I'm just fascinated there isn't more sign of trauma.

Oh, and I have to ask, is that the Arai XD helmet? What do you think of it? Is it hot with the shield closed during off road work? I like the concept of that helmet. Thanks.
Got laid up for a few days, might be a while before Iím 100% again. If there is a next year Iím going up and over that last hill on Black Gulch. In fact I might stand on top of that hill and mark it as mine.

Anyways about the XD Helmet.

I would say that the venting is reasonable but the face shield fogs up. In fact it seems to fog up faster than any other helmet I can remember.

At night the face shield creates a reflection on the inside. Some times one set of taillights looks like two. The reflection is only a minor distraction out in the country but in the city, lets say splitting lanes at night, could be an issue for some folks.

Off road I found that I preferred leaving my goggles in my backpack and just use the face shield but thatís with just one guy in front of me. The more guys you ride with the more of an issue it becomes. I wouldnít say it was hot I would say it vents well but still gets fogged up when it gets cool outside.

The best part about this helmet is the crown has a long oval shape and fits my head perfect.
MoonRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 05:54 AM   #803
Ted West
n00b-ish

Oddometer: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Trash Can
Got laid up for a few days, might be a while before I’m 100% again. If there is a next year I’m going up and over that last hill on Black Gulch. In fact I might stand on top of that hill and mark it as mine.
Dude, what happened? Are you cool?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Trash Can
...If there is a next year...
That doesn't sound good. Hope you're doing well. Good luck!

-TEd

PS Thanks for the helmet info. For the $ I think I'll stay happy with my MX helmet.
'81 Husqvarna 250XC
Ted West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 06:03 AM   #804
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,043
[quote=Flying Trash Can]Got laid up for a few days, might be a while before Iím 100% again. If there is a next year Iím going up and over that last hill on Black Gulch. In fact I might stand on top of that hill and mark it as mine.

/quote]

That suck's, heal up quick dude & don't push it, listen to your docs, I've been on crutches for over a year now, coulda been healed up by Dec. but one tiny slip at home totally screwed me up.

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 06:01 PM   #805
larryboy
Paint it black.

Went out and put some miles on today. 700 miles on the clock now. I'll get the service out of the way and park it until the Sheetiron 300. The rear tire won't take much more, I'll be amazed if it goes to 1200 miles.

All the OHV trails at Foresthill are closed for repairs right now, they said they want to open the trails by wed. So I went up to see how the snow looked going over to Soda Springs. I didn't make it very far. I could make good progress in the tire tracks that were iced over, but fresh untracked snow stopped me.

Wandered down to a gold mining operation.

Then down to the old town of Deadwood.

Not doing that section alone.

Ran a little bit of the single track on loop 6, it's a double black diamond trail so I didn't do much of it.

Stopped for some pizza in Foresthill. People really dig the husky, I get arm pumps out the window when I go by, people wanting pics with it, people coming up to me at gas stations wanting to talk.

Some people that took a pic in front of the bike. I got the impression in my listening in that they hadn't seen each other in a really long time.

Old 05-05-2007, 06:15 PM   #806
husky123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Nice pics Larryboy. I hear you on the rear tire. If it makes it to 1200 miles I'd be surprised too. I got a lot more out of the Karoo on my 650L. Must be the additional power of the 610.

BTW....the tank looks great! I might have to pull the trigger on one soon.
husky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 07:01 PM   #807
MoonRock
High Energy Atomic Nuclei

Oddometer: 868
Nice pics Larry Boy.

I have 900 on my stock rear tire and its about toast.
MoonRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 10:24 PM   #808
larryboy
Paint it black.

Sounds like I better order a tire. My next run will be about 500 miles and if it rains it'll be muddy.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:13 AM   #809
Fred
Banned

Oddometer: 1,051
Hey larryboy. A bunch of us from BC came down and did the Sheetiron last year. Great run. I can't make it this year though.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 09:28 AM   #810
larryboy
Paint it black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred
Hey larryboy. A bunch of us from BC came down and did the Sheetiron last year. Great run. I can't make it this year though.
Yeah I think I remember you guys? School bus that was giving you guys trouble? Whatever happened on that?