Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2007, 12:33 PM   #841
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Mile
Just looking for some feedback on which bike and why? As always I appreciate any light you guys can shed on this subject. Thanks!
If you're committed to the 950 long term the 510 might be a better choice for you. If you're looking for a bike to replace the 950 I'd choose the 610.

I see both bikes as dirt bikes with turn signals, but the 510 takes it a few steps further to the dirt side. I wouldn't hop on a 510 and head to Death Valley, I'd load it in the truck and base camp and ride the 510 around. I'll be riding my 610 everywhere I go.

I have ridden both, the 510 is an awesome trail machine.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:49 PM   #842
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffus

P.S. once the TE valves are seated & properly adjusted, they stay that way for a long time, I've read of owners going well over 2000 miles with no additional adjustments needed after the initial one (500 to 1000 miles)
2000 ?

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:50 PM   #843
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle
2000 ?
yes

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 01:31 PM   #844
ThatGuyEd
Mud Lover

Oddometer: 591
+1 To what Larryboy said.

2 bikes is better than one 610....as hard as it is for me to say that...

But that 510 is not a dual-sport....its a dirtbike with blinkers. Gearing, road manners, etc....
ThatGuyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 03:41 PM   #845
9Mile
Leaving the world of HD

Oddometer: 65
Input

Thanks for your input guys. "dirt bike with turn signals" keeps popping up in reference to the 510TE. At this point I think the maintenance schedule of the 610 seems more in line with my way of life. Less is more!
Give up my 950 S ? I guess that remains to be seen. I cut down the windshield recently and have been enjoying it more than ever. But if the 610TE is as good as I've heard a big tank and more comfortable seat could force me into making an uncomfortable decision....
9Mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 05:57 PM   #846
cbig
Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer: 876
9mile

"But if the 610TE is as good as I've heard a big tank and more comfortable seat could force me into making an uncomfortable decision...."

U ain't kidding ... I'm at that point now..If my new Renazco seat does for the TE610 what it did for the 950 I *might* sell that 950. I rode 240+ miles last weekend on a route I usually take the 950. Dirt roads, 4x4 , curvey roads and fwy. I'll be lying if I said the 950 was more fun. Plus I threw in lots of single track. It's that good.
With the TE610 I don't worry about taking it somewhere beyond my ability. Less reason to turn back. I don't sweat $1500 tanks, body work. I guess the 950 has become the bike for the known unknowns. The Husky goes further - I guess it's the real "ADVENTURE " bike. Decision$....
Old 05-11-2007, 11:22 PM   #847
Hoder
Card carrying greeny

Oddometer: 1,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyEd
I planning on putting the Teraflex on after these Karoo's are gone...
Those big lugs will be nice in the Muskeg up north......
Anybody have experience with this?
I just replaced the TerraFlex after 1000 miles with an MT21. On the street the TerraFlex doesn't inspire much confidence. Going into a corner you can feel the transition from the top to the side knobs. The side knobs are widely spaced & are pretty scary when you're playing super moto hero. They also suck in the slick stuff. I rode in the Capitol Forest, known for it's slippery wet clay & spun the bike nearly 180 in second gear at about 2500 rpm without twisting the throttle.

I think I'd buy one again though for Baja type riding. On a ride last summer on fire roads a guy behind me on a big GS told me it was like a volcano.

Dave:
The 610 really makes me want to ride like a punk everywhere I go.
bikefrk:
You now understand supermoto.
Your training is complete.
Hoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 05:58 AM   #848
rockchucker22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Has anyone tried a trials tire on thier 610?
rockchucker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 09:16 AM   #849
husky123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchucker22
Has anyone tried a trials tire on thier 610?
Oh no!!!

Don't do it. Don't fall for Dirt Rider's brainwashing. It'll round those knobs so quick it'll make your head spin. Big bikes, big torque and trials tires do not mix well. Kinda like vodka and coke.
husky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 02:39 PM   #850
rockchucker22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by husky123
Oh no!!!

Don't do it. Don't fall for Dirt Rider's brainwashing. It'll round those knobs so quick it'll make your head spin. Big bikes, big torque and trials tires do not mix well. Kinda like vodka and coke.
I just asked cause a friend who is an excelnt rider has been useing them on his ktm300. So I was just wondering how they react on the road. But I bet your right the knobs would just shear off.
rockchucker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 04:30 PM   #851
husky123
Beastly Adventurer

Hey, just put in my 45/45 watt bulb from Dan at MotoX. Now the high beam indicator blinks on low beam?

When I flick it to high beam it goes steady again. I'm thinking the the system is sensing more of a draw at low beam (45 watt) and "thinks" the high beam is on? Anyone else experience this when swapping the bulb out? Thanks.

Lee
Old 05-12-2007, 08:54 PM   #852
Stroker Ace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Hello: Sounds like you figured out a way to get the bulb in bacwards, or did you accidently pull the wires off when you pulled the rubber boot off, and possibly get them back on the wrong posts???? Mine worked fine, the icon went away and the high beam indicator works properly. The draw won't matter, something got crossed..... It's easy to happen...... Good Luck...
Stroker Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 04:52 AM   #853
papple
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
TE 610 Newbie

Well I've lurked and PM'd some of you TE 610 guys to long without putting in my 2 cents. This thread was invaluable in my decision to finally get off of the fence and purchase one of my very own. The IMS tank pushed me over as I just felt I needed at least 4+ gallons to feel safe about traveling places I've never ventured.

I've owned a KTM 950, a DRZ400E, a DR650, XR650L and I'm on my 5th. BMW Oilhead GS. They've all been excellent bikes except for the Austrian machine but then again maybe I should have waited a year before buying one. It just seemed that the support I got from the factory didn't live up to what I expected but thats a whole other story for another thread.

I bought my 06 model from a fellow Forumite and it was well equipped with heated grips, Aceribis Rally Pro's, Utah skidplate and radiator gaurds. He bought it from the good folks at Battones in Pa. and had them set it up to his weight and shorter the mine inseam. I'm in the process of changing them both as I'm in need of a little more suspension and seat height. I bought the IMS 4.3 gallon tank and it arrived home before the bike it self. I haven't installed it yet as I haven't ventured out to were I thought I would need it.

Here are my thought's so far on this Italian machine with the Swedish name.
The power of this thing is surreal, anywhere in the entire RPM range the torque and hp will pull you out of 99% of what might get you in trouble. The only time it worked against my forward momentum was when I applied to much throttle in the middle of a 50' mudhole. It threw me about 20 degrees off of center which put me in line with some greenery on the side of the trail. The Utah skidplate did it's job well by protecting the cases from some of the rocky terrain we encountered on the trails in the UP. In the sand the thing handles well as long as you are on the throttle. The lack of weight and power on hand made short order of some pretty long stretchs of sand. My companions on heavier and underpowered models had there hands full and they were not able to keep up with me. Once again you have to use the power on hand judicially or I could see myself getting in trouble fast.

I should of listened to you guy's about those footpeg bolts as one of them gave up the ghost about 50 miles into a good days ride. It prevented me from doing much standing on the pegs for the rest of the day but I survived none the less. I happened to luck out by meeting a great bunch of guy's in the middle of nowhere and one of them happened to have a well equipped race shop at home. He had the reqiured EZ outs and even some hardened bolts in stock. Great guy and an excellent shop located just where I needed them, unreal. Heck I offered to pay him and he wouldn't take a dime, I did how ever buy him dinner the next evening.

The TE is by far the best dualsport that I've owned if you are into the serious offroad stuff. There are better offroad bikes and road bikes but I said "Dualsport". It wouldn't be my choice of traveling from Wisconsin to Colorado or Idaho but once there it would definitely get the job done. This is so far the best smaller dualsport I've owned.

Thanks for everone's input and I hope to see you out there some time soon. If this helps sway just one person to the fold I feel I've done my part to increase our numbers.

Ride Safe,
Papple
papple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 05:23 AM   #854
husky123
Beastly Adventurer

Good stuff Papple...welcome. Great write up!
Old 05-13-2007, 06:31 AM   #855
Stroker Ace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Couldn't explain it better myself..... My buddy saw mine in the back of my pick up on Sat. then ordered one that Mon.!!!!! he didn't even sit on it!!!

Awesome!!!!
Stroker Ace is offline   Reply With Quote