ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2009, 05:43 PM   #10021
Beemer Pat

Oddometer: 2,722
If you need a welder that is what I do for a living. I work in a job shop here in Colorado and would be able to do them for free. BTW I love to weld light gage alum. I don't think we would ever hear back from the mother ship anyhow.
Beemer Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:51 PM   #10022
TimberlineAdventure
Maine Thumpah

Oddometer: 380
Never heard back from them with over sixty owners names for the fork issue... The airbox however, I could draw it up and then get it modeled with some of my contacts so that a shipyard could cut them for us. I bet, it wouldn't cost much more than the aluminum to have the parts cut. A fair amount of welding though... What are your thoughts with a door of somesort so that we can maintain the filter. You know Geek will be doing it every fifty miles of so if it works well....

Husqvarna '08 TE-610 Front Fork Thread Only
http://rickramsey.net/TE610mods.htm
TimberlineAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:01 PM   #10023
mrkartoom
Lurker Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 828
This airbox is not the greatest design I've ever seen (Husaberg gets my vote), but I'm not sure there is anything a little PM can't overcome. I was not previously aware of the spinning nuts cause I haven't experienced it yet, but the clamps seem like an easy fix. The problem of the low venting seems largely overcome by the height of the intake boot. You'd have to be in pretty deep to pull in water. The biggest complaint I have is getting it back on after you've taken it off. Remove it from the boot and you'll be cursing the designer. It's a PITA putting back on, but other than that Ive got no other complaints at the moment. I'd certainly never sell the bike over it.

'08 Husqvarna TE610, '11 Gas Gas EC300, '03 Beta Rev3 250

Husky TE/SM-610 Thread Index

mrkartoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:07 PM   #10024
mrkartoom
Lurker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberlineAdventure
Never heard back from them with over sixty owners names for the fork issue... The airbox however, I could draw it up and then get it modeled with some of my contacts so that a shipyard could cut them for us. I bet, it wouldn't cost much more than the aluminum to have the parts cut. A fair amount of welding though... What are your thoughts with a door of somesort so that we can maintain the filter. You know Geek will be doing it every fifty miles of so if it works well....
The time frame in which we submitted our complaint may not have been the best time to judge corporate response. They were in transition and I think many were more worried about their jobs than our missing adjusters. I think Ed generally wanted to get the issue addressed, but we got lost in the turmoil. I'm trying to be positve about it, but maybe it would be worth raising the issue. If nothing else it may spur a design change for future models.

In the meantime, if the new airbox you design is easier to get off/on I'd definitely go for one. I'm not sure there is room there to make that happen, but I'd be interested to see what you guys come up with.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:18 PM   #10025
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,945
Even though I haven't had any issues with my airbox - even with getting it on and off - I'd love to see how you guys can come up something better. This reminds me of an older guy I used to work with, he would always say "You can't polish a turd." I say you can! I've seen plenty of polished turds, especially around these forums....
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:27 PM   #10026
Beemer Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberlineAdventure

I know someone here did one out of alum but can't find a pic of it. I could use somthing like the stock airbox has to mount the cover but welded in from the backside of the airbox. Yes, it would be water/air tight. A cover could be made so we could just use what is on the stock cover to hold the filter in place. I was hurt at work yesterday so I will be off the bike for a couple of weeks. I have 6 stitches in the top of my head and bruised shoulder and ribs from when the part I was working on fell on me. I'm ok and back to work in the am with light duty. I will take a look and get back with what I find out.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:33 PM   #10027
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer Pat
I know someone here did one out of alum but can't find a pic of it. I could use somthing like the stock airbox has to mount the cover but welded in from the backside of the airbox. Yes, it would be water/air tight. A cover could be made so we could just use what is on the stock cover to hold the filter in place. I was hurt at work yesterday so I will be off the bike for a couple of weeks. I have 6 stitches in the top of my head and bruised shoulder and ribs from when the part I was working on fell on me. I'm ok and back to work in the am with light duty. I will take a look and get back with what I find out.
Damn, Pat! Glad to hear you're ok, man, and that it wasn't anymore serious. Injuries are no fun. Hope you heal fast.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:51 PM   #10028
Beemer Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas Altas
Damn, Pat! Glad to hear you're ok, man, and that it wasn't anymore serious. Injuries are no fun. Hope you heal fast.
The ribs are going to slow me down the most. They got hurt on my right back side. It hurts to move right now.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:53 PM   #10029
Boatman
Take me down bitch!

Oddometer: 10,044
Quote:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=9259
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=9279

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:59 PM   #10030
Beemer Pat

There they are.... thanks. I will have to send a PM and get more info.

Beemer Pat screwed with this post 03-03-2009 at 07:09 PM
Old 03-03-2009, 07:15 PM   #10031
motogo1
I don't want a pickle,...

Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkartoom
This airbox is not the greatest design I've ever seen (Husaberg gets my vote), but I'm not sure there is anything a little PM can't overcome. I was not previously aware of the spinning nuts cause I haven't experienced it yet, but the clamps seem like an easy fix. The problem of the low venting seems largely overcome by the height of the intake boot. You'd have to be in pretty deep to pull in water. The biggest complaint I have is getting it back on after you've taken it off. Remove it from the boot and you'll be cursing the designer. It's a PITA putting back on, but other than that Ive got no other complaints at the moment. I'd certainly never sell the bike over it.
Not to beat a dead horse but I haven't had, and don't have any issues with the air box. Hasn't Husky had this same design for like,,,forever? I had a WR250 and 400, but for the life of me I can't remember the air box design. Isn't aging great?
What is a PITA are those fitings that hold the bolts at the back end of the side panels. I had one of those spin and they are impossible to hold. I did get it apart and hope epoxy will hold it now. If not, I'll have to come up with plan B.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:34 PM   #10032
Boatman
Take me down bitch!

Oddometer: 10,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by motogo1
Not to beat a dead horse but I haven't had, and don't have any issues with the air box. Hasn't Husky had this same design for like,,,forever? I had a WR250 and 400, but for the life of me I can't remember the air box design. Isn't aging great?
What is a PITA are those fitings that hold the bolts at the back end of the side panels. I had one of those spin and they are impossible to hold. I did get it apart and hope epoxy will hold it now. If not, I'll have to come up with plan B.
Rivnuts.... I had one spin on my brand new bike the day I brought it home. The dealer had no frigging idea what to do about it. I was able to spin the bolt out with an impact wrench after I tried everything else. Then I found a local guy with a rivnut installation tool and he was able to tighten it up. It's starting to loosen up again and this time I'll just have him put in a new one.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:40 PM   #10033
Lav1200
Pig Pen

Oddometer: 1,213
Steering head - need help on reassembly

I made the mistake of disassembling my steering head back in Nov in order to replace the lower triple clamp bearing. Should have taken pics or notes on what goes where, because now I can't recall where the 2 washers go (# 73 in diagram below)

I'm pretty sure there is one washer under the lower bearing, but where does the second one go? Above it, or on top of the upper triple clamp?

Hope someone here has been through this and can steer me straight.

Thanks,
Andy
Lav1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:48 PM   #10034
mrkartoom
Lurker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by motogo1
Not to beat a dead horse but I haven't had, and don't have any issues with the air box.
Well my problem was trying to get the airbox back on the intake boot where they big hose clamp is. I gave up and finally just took the intake boot off and fixed it to the airbox, then put it all back on as a unit. Granted that was way easier, but it's still way more goofy than my orange bikes, or any other color I've owned for that matter.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:52 PM   #10035
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,891
Quote:
If you need a welder that is what I do for a living. I work in a job shop here in Colorado and would be able to do them for free. BTW I love to weld light gage alum. I don't think we would ever hear back from the mother ship anyhow.

Put me down, I hate that stupid air box. Make a few bucks if you're gonna do it. Materials plus some hourly.