User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2009, 08:58 PM   #10036
Beemer Pat

Oddometer: 2,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy
Put me down, I hate that stupid air box. Make a few bucks if you're gonna do it. Materials plus some hourly.
I sent a PM to the guy down under to see if he has any drawings of the one he made. I will let everyone know what I find out.
Beemer Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:07 PM   #10037
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,810
So I played motohookie today (how can you pass up a 75 degree day on March 3rd in the Rockies??)

Left at 9am. Got home now.

TONS of great riding from epic mountain climbs to single track to sand berms.
My only bike issue all day is I broke my rear brake's "toe tab" (that triangle) clean off.

I LOVE THIS BIKE

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:38 PM   #10038
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,810
re:airbox

my wr had a dzus quarter turn fastener and a door. why cant we? i am seriously considering cutting the cover in half and piano hinging it with fiberglass

as for box removal... first time was pain in arse for me too... i have since removed/cleaned/lubed the rubber and repositioned the clamps so they are easier to access. last time i removed airbox was saturday and i reinstalled the box & rubber boot in 2 mins flat with no fiddling or issues at all. maybe it is a practice makes perfect thing because i remember cursing it blue the first time i did it last summer
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:50 PM   #10039
lagcam
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek
re:airbox

my wr had a dzus quarter turn fastener and a door. why cant we?
You just reminded me that I have a bunch of dzus fasteners left over from my Ducati rebuild. Looks like I have a new project!
lagcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:42 PM   #10040
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,286
Quote:
My only bike issue all day is I broke my rear brake's "toe tab" (that triangle) clean off.
Broke mine off also, pedel cost a bundle, old KTM had a bolt/rivet on that worked perfect.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:44 PM   #10041
kalebian
kip

Oddometer: 34
Question

would any of you be intrested is some parts made out of stainless steel? i have some lying around and was thinking about making some parts, gards, air box, and some aluminium. im a welder/ favricator. give me some ideas of what you would like...
Old 03-03-2009, 10:45 PM   #10042
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Wheel Brg # ?

I don't have access to my parts book. Can some one tell me the generic number of the drive side rear wheel bearing?
Old 03-03-2009, 11:44 PM   #10043
Xcuvator
Justa Venturer

Oddometer: 1,357
now I can't recall where the 2 washers go (# 73 in diagram below)

I'm pretty sure there is one washer under the lower bearing, but where does the second one go? Above it, or on top of the upper triple clamp?

Hope someone here has been through this and can steer me straight.

Thanks,
Andy[/quote]

I just did my 450 and put both under the bearing. It looked like they were needed for clearance.

So much riding-so little time
Xcuvator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:08 AM   #10044
lagcam
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown
I don't have access to my parts book. Can some one tell me the generic number of the drive side rear wheel bearing?
It is #63005 (25x47x16)
The other two are more common # 6005 (25x47x12)

I had some trouble finding the 63005, but a local bearing supply joint could order one. Also see here They don't always have the Moose kit in, but it's cheap when they do. Not sure about the quality...
lagcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:22 AM   #10045
niknteen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer Pat
I know someone here did one out of alum but can't find a pic of it. I could use somthing like the stock airbox has to mount the cover but welded in from the backside of the airbox. Yes, it would be water/air tight. A cover could be made so we could just use what is on the stock cover to hold the filter in place. I was hurt at work yesterday so I will be off the bike for a couple of weeks. I have 6 stitches in the top of my head and bruised shoulder and ribs from when the part I was working on fell on me. I'm ok and back to work in the am with light duty. I will take a look and get back with what I find out.
Sorry about the pain BeemerPat. The alloy filter is mine. It was made just with a steel Rule to take measurements. As my box was spinning at all points, i had him drill off the lid, and pattern a box from it. The rear of the box, I had him reshape. Instead of the Box parts at the back it now ramps back from max rear hieght. This keeps it of the Tubular frame part as well. No oil reburn either. I saw a shot or two of that being run to a filter elsewhere. I paid 600 OZ$'s but it did talke the lad his time of bussines to do it. I had the bike here, he only had the filter box and side cover. So basicly i have an alloy copy? basicly...
niknteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:46 AM   #10046
Davebert
Too damn serious!

Oddometer: 946
Air box and water

As I read about the airbox and the inability to get the water out if it gets in, why not (when you have it out, or on a new design) add a drain pipe? Just drill a hole in the lowest point on the bottom and add a brass fitting that you can connect a clear plastic hose to with a plug in the bottom with a spring clamp. Then you can see if waters in the hose and drain it simple enough. My DRZ400 has a drain that looks like an AC drain on a car or truck. The rubber it self closing and it drains itself. My other bikes use the method mentioned above.
My 2 cents,
G
Davebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:59 AM   #10047
reconsmr
Banned

Oddometer: 1,522
The airbox will leak anything that gets into it, but remember the intake point is about the same as every other dirtbike, at the mouth of the carb. The only real exceptions to water intake height that I know of are the Husabergs frame tube intake and the LC8 KTMs with a sealed boz and top mounted intake. My TE450 & SXF450 will drown out just as easily as a 610. Looking at your airbox out in the breeze may be disturbing but the ones between the frame rails fill with water if they are submerged too...

FWIW I would always pull the 610 carb with the box/boot attached to fiddle with the carb, much faster & easier to do, kinda quick really.
reconsmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:27 AM   #10048
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,673
Quote:
So I played motohookie today (how can you pass up a 75 degree day on March 3rd in the Rockies??)
Left at 9am. Got home now.
I LOVE THIS BIKE
That's too bad you live in such a sorry place for off road riding.
Look how cool Gulf Coast Texas is:
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:04 AM   #10049
Boatman
Take me down bitch!

Oddometer: 10,178
My comment on the low airbox a few posts back was not because I thought the intake was any lower than any other bike but that the actual foam filter is so low below the carb. I've been through water deep enough that the element soaks up enough water that bike runs pretty rich and boggy (is that a word) for quite a distance after the water crossing.

A sealed box with a top opening/snorkel and the a/c type drain would be better IMO.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:37 AM   #10050
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagcam
It is #63005 (25x47x16)
The other two are more common # 6005 (25x47x12)
Thanks, I will try Fastnal about the only place in Ridgecrest til I get back to Reno area.

Which other two, front? What is brake side rear?