Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2009, 08:46 AM   #10186
WIthumper
The 610 guy

Oddometer: 210
Anyone been able to find a masterlink for the stock CZ chain?

fritzcoinc - good pointer! Thanks!
WIthumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:52 AM   #10187
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIthumper
Hey all -
Doing some bike prep on my 07 and noticed that the kick stand is gouging the swingarm. If the kick stand is not touched, it clears okay, but if it is pushed in with a boot while riding (or with my hand when it is on the stand), it does not clear it.

I noticed that there is some lateral movement by the kickstand bolt and attempted to tighten it up, but it feels like the bolt is tight already, but a slopply fit. Maybe the frame attachment is bent to cause slop? Anyone else have this issue? Solutions?
I had the same problem, even though kickstand bolt was tight, check the two bolts that hold the kickstand mounting plate on, mine were loose. after tightening, problem solved

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:56 AM   #10188
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanker
At the expense of beating a dead horse, a longer connecting rod absolutely will increase displacement (bore x stroke = displacement. ex: 4" x 4" = 16 cu. in. Add .25 in to the connecting rod = 4 x 4.25 = 17 cu. in.). I agree that stroking the crankshaft (increasing the circumference about which a connecting rod will rotate) is also "stroking" the motor but via the crankshaft instead of the connecting rod. The end result is the same; the piston will travel a greater distance, increasing displacement.
No, a longer con rod dose not change the displacement because the stroke of the crank remains the same. Its the stroke of the crank that determines the distance the piston end of the con rod travels, thus the distance the piston travels, regardless of con rod length.
FYI- a longer con rod improves performance because a longer rod increases piston speed at mid stroke. The speed increases gets a bigger intake charge and gets the exhaust moving faster out of the cylinder. Both of these take advantage of the "overlap" period in the cam timming.

There are two ways to go if you increase the stroke of an engine:
1-Shorter rod by the stroke increase dimension.
2-Change to a piston that has the wrist pin centerline closer to the piston crown by the stroke increase dimension.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:43 AM   #10189
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,816
How many splines you rotate the 610 shifter UP without any interference from the case or chain when shifting?

1 spline or 2 splines rotation? or more?

I took a close look at the 610 and thought one spline rotation might work without any interference but wasn't sure of two..

Can you position the end of the shift lever higher than the foot peg height?
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:54 AM   #10190
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanker
At the expense of beating a dead horse, a longer connecting rod absolutely will increase displacement (bore x stroke = displacement. ex: 4" x 4" = 16 cu. in. Add .25 in to the connecting rod = 4 x 4.25 = 17 cu. in.). I agree that stroking the crankshaft (increasing the circumference about which a connecting rod will rotate) is also "stroking" the motor but via the crankshaft instead of the connecting rod. The end result is the same; the piston will travel a greater distance, increasing displacement.
You are obviously confused with the new variable length rubber connecting rods when mated with the new heavy cast iron piston. This new set up allows you to stroke a motor by just adding the new con rod and piston and leaving the crank stock. It is very clever how it works. At low RPM you get stock displacement and low compression for maximum efficiency and smooth power. At high RPM the con rod streaches at the top of each stroke because of the heavy cast iron piston and rubber rod. At the bottom the rod compresses thus giving a longer net total stroke for much larger displacement and higher compression ratio because the piston now goes to the top of the bore.

The inventor is still working out a few minor bugs but said that it should be on the market soon.

By the way if I remember from my junior high trig class, volume of cylinder = height (stroke) x area, not height x diameter.

Countdown screwed with this post 03-09-2009 at 03:42 PM
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:00 AM   #10191
lagcam
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffus
Read your own formula, Bore X stroke, so a 4 inch bore (piston diameter) X a 4 inch stroke (crank throw) will remain the same no matter if the rod is 6 inches, or 6 feet, you're not changing the stroke, thats dictated by the crank throw. The piston still travels the same distance, it's just starts & ends farther from the crank.
Ya, you don't get the extra 1/4 inch on both sides of the stroke.
Just to throw even a little more stroker info into the mix, you usually do need a longer rod when upping the stroke, just to keep the rod ratio correct. Too short a rod will put too much side pressure on the piston in the bore. Also, a longer rod will tend to keep the piston in the vicinity of TDC longer, promoting a longer "state of compression" on the firing cycle. Very good at mid-upper RPM, but cylinder filling (volumetric efficiency) suffers at lower RPM due to less flow velocity if the ratio is too much.
Going the other way, a shorter rod is good at lower-mid RPM because of the better pumping action (more port velocity) but suffers at high RPM due to higher piston speed (less dwell at TDC). With a very short rod-stroke ratio, the piston can actually "outrun" the flame front on the power stroke. Not very efficient.
At any rate, there are a ton of variables when building an engine. Feel free to ignore this extremely boring post at your leisure.

This explains it much better than I can, BTW: http://victorylibrary.com/tech/crod-c.htm
lagcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:06 AM   #10192
jamboa
jamboa

Oddometer: 843
Who will check valves on a SM610 near Little Rock

I am thinking about getting an 06 Husky but do not like wrenching on my bike other than oil changes and air filter.
13 CB1100F
12 Speedmaster
jamboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:58 PM   #10193
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamboa
I am thinking about getting an 06 Husky but do not like wrenching on my bike other than oil changes and air filter.
The Husky is probably not for you then.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #10194
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamboa
After 13,000 Miles on 06; Had suspension fixed, Rejeted carb, added skid plate, added LV muffler, added ICO odometer, chainged many tires, changed oil & cleaned air filter a few times. Tightened rear sprocket twice.

Never adjusted valves or any other engine work.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:40 PM   #10195
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast55
How many splines you rotate the 610 shifter UP without any interference from the case or chain when shifting?

1 spline or 2 splines rotation? or more?

I took a close look at the 610 and thought one spline rotation might work without any interference but wasn't sure of two..

Can you position the end of the shift lever higher than the foot peg height?
I think I moved it up 1 but could have been two, but also cut plastic sprocket cover. Shifter now hits chain at very top of travel. Doesn't hurt anything, just makes you think you missed a shift. Solution is just give it a nudge and it will click up a gear, don't rock your foot and pull it all the way up.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:35 PM   #10196
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown
After 13,000 Miles on 06; Had suspension fixed, Rejeted carb, added skid plate, added LV muffler, added ICO odometer, chainged many tires, changed oil & cleaned air filter a few times. Tightened rear sprocket twice.

Never adjusted valves or any other engine work.
I have 6500 thousand miles and like your list - but I did do the valves twice and why the ICO - just get a good GPS with multiple trip meters.
Flashman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:40 PM   #10197
Beemer Pat

Oddometer: 2,722
Anyone coming to Colorado for West Fest??
Beemer Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:02 PM   #10198
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer Pat
Anyone coming to Colorado for West Fest??

When is it?
Old 03-09-2009, 06:03 PM   #10199
Beemer Pat

Oddometer: 2,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy
When is it?
7/30 - 8/2/09 West Fest 09
Beemer Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:05 PM   #10200
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer Pat

Nope, not me. I'll be thru that area in September.