Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2009, 06:46 PM   #14341
motometal
i like motorcycles

Oddometer: 3,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svart
Ah, I missed that pic. Thanks!

That setup makes the sprocket and chain too open for my taste, dont want the forest to get stuck in there. The case saver looks good though, I dont want to cover it completely. Ill come up with something :)

->xymotic: Thanks for bringing the case saver to our attention!
as a side note, if you ride in much mud you would probably be better off with the "open" configuration. Any kind of cover traps mud in there and could eventually toast the seal. One of the first mods I make on an MX bike that is going off road (including mud) is to pitch the stock plastic countershaft sprocket cover. I've never had an issue with getting anything caught in the countershaft sprocket.
motometal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:15 PM   #14342
Hoder
Card carrying greeny

Oddometer: 1,019
I'm in the same boat as Svart. I'd consider a case saver an important piece of insurance but in the forest (especially if you do a lot of boony busting ) sticks go everywhere and an open cs is probably more of a risk than not having one. I haven't had my stock cover fill with mud (in fact the cover keeps the cs clean) but it would be sure be cool to have a case saver made with an open billet cs cover to prevent both mud and sticks from ruining your day. Even better would be optional covers, open or closed.

Dave:
The 610 really makes me want to ride like a punk everywhere I go.
bikefrk:
You now understand supermoto.
Your training is complete.

Hoder screwed with this post 11-28-2009 at 10:25 PM
Hoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:58 PM   #14343
KevinMTB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
K7MDL HDB topclamp and PT enduro

This is what I did in order to use a Scotts submount damper with my 2009 610. I ordered the lower part of the clamp from Pro-Tect Enduro Concepts, I believe it was the "UBM Scotts and Top Clamp-Husky TE-WR" for $99. If you call or email they will hook you up, they were very helpful with me. If you want to save acouple of bucks they will sell the lower clamp without the top part also. The center-center for the triple clamp on the Husky is 86mm and the offset was around 5-10mm, can't remember exactly but PTenduro will know.
I then ordered the HDB top clamp for a KTM because that's what fits the PTenduro lower clamp. The measurements are 90mm x 38/40mm. The two different clamps have slightly different shapes to them but other than that they work fine. I did have to fab my own post mount for the 610 but PTenduro was looking into making one themselves.
Name:  submount 003.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  62.8 KB
KevinMTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:54 AM   #14344
Hoder
Card carrying greeny

Nice! What's that on the left coming thru your top bar clamp & what's the big gnarly hose? Got a CAD drawing of the tank bolt/post?

Dave:
bikefrk:
Old 11-29-2009, 01:12 AM   #14345
K7MDL
TE450, TE610

Oddometer: 1,552
Thanks for the pic and description Kevin. Never thought about the KTM route. I sent emails to HDB and PT Concepts about 2 weeks ago but never heard back from either. I cannot find a phone number for HDB. Will try calling PT next.

Is that the base of a Lynx fairing I spot in that picture under your speedo? That could be next on my list. Debating the speedo mount I would use - either on the dash as designed or in a HDB billet protector to raise it up. I can wait on that part until after bars are in place, but just wondering.

- Mike
K7MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:34 AM   #14346
DeBandi
Exploring Alabama

Oddometer: 3,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svart
Ive said it before, your bike looks great!

All my mods are for performance with no thoughts at all to appearance... I thinks its time to start upgrading again :)

Thanks Svart.

DeBandi

Visit ExploringAlabama.net

State Oval Decals Available
DeBandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:41 AM   #14347
KevinMTB
Gnarly Adventurer

Hoder

I think what you are referring to on my clamp is a push style switch. I did put on a Lynx fairing (thanks for the info on your install) and I added the switch so that I can run both HID lights at the same time, it was easy to do I just tapped into the high beam passing switch on the front of the left controls. Well worth it if you plan on riding off-road at night. I plan to add another switch soon for my Power Commander V and Auto Tune. That way I will be able to switch between maps by pushing the switch.
That narly hose is my clutch cable, looks bigger in picture than it is. Its a Barnett cable that is 3" longer but was still short due to my Scott's submount. I actually split a vinyl hose and put it over it and then heat shrink wrapped it to help protect it from wear at the radiator. It is actually just under 1/2" and I routed it in front to make it work. It actully works out pretty well that way, I just had to zip tie it to hold it. As for the damper post, I had a friend make it for me. No drawings but pretty easy to copy. I started out with 7/8" round stock and had them drill out for the stock Scotts floating pin. On the other end, they drilled and tapped for the same size bolt that holds the tank on, I used a grade 12 bolt and cut the head off. The post is one inch high and tappered at the top with the sides notched so that I can tighen it on. I used the arm off of a XR400 that was already on the damper, I just had to extend the slot on the arm to get it to work.
I wasn't really sure how well the post would hold up but I have about 5,500 miles on it without any problems. Most of the miles were put on doing the TAT this summer. If you need more details, just let me know.
Name:  submount 2 001.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  48.5 KB
Old 11-29-2009, 11:50 AM   #14348
KevinMTB
Gnarly Adventurer

K7mdl

Yes, that is a Lynx fairing you see. If you want to upgrade your lighting, that is the way to go especially if you need a dash to mount stuff (as you can tell by the photo I used the whole dash). The only thing I don't like is that the speedo is mounted very low. The wires are short and I needed room for my GPS so that is where it ended up, I wonder if you can splice longer wires on it? The HDB protector looks good if you don't go with the dash.
Name:  submount 2 002.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  37.6 KB
Old 11-29-2009, 01:56 PM   #14349
K7MDL
TE450, TE610

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinMTB

The only thing I don't like is that the speedo is mounted very low. The wires are short and I needed room for my GPS so that is where it ended up, I wonder if you can splice longer wires on it? The HDB protector looks good if you don't go with the dash.
I wil lhave plenty of dash room. I have a Zumo which is more compact and will likely stay on the bars. The mount is on a RAM mount and the unit is shared between all my bikes and truck with a common micro waterproof 6 pin connector for power and audio.

The protector should raise the speedo up for better visibility but if one needs to extend the cabling to do that, might just as well extend it up for the best position on the dash. Some others have pulled enough cable to make the reach, but it is tight. I am a electronics dude, so other than the labor I can easily extend the harness, possibly break down and attempt to source the same connectors and pins for a plug on extension, or worst case, cut the wires or pry off the pins and reterminate them.

In my master plan, I was thinking about bringing out the Speedo function switch to one pole of a DPDT switch mounted on the HDB top clamp, and run the speedo pickup through the other switch pole. The idea is that operating the switch would break the speed input so the speedo thinks it is zero MPH momentarily, and allow changing the function on the fly. Do not know if there is any delay required. If so, might be another project to build one.

- Mike
Old 11-29-2009, 02:17 PM   #14350
mountain eagle
terrorist

Oddometer: 2,913
Hey K7MDL if you are able to source the connector for the back of the gauges please let us know, my clip that locks it in broke and I'd love to replace it. With the male/female combo we could build a jumper extension easy enough.
my smugmug gallery
How can it be fun if there's not at least an outside chance of dying?
mountain eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:31 PM   #14351
Hoder
Card carrying greeny

The speedo plug part number and wiring table are here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=482490

If you want to run both HID's without a separate switch you can use the wire that powered the mini bulb in the stock headlight instead of the headlight wire for low beam. That way both are on when you hit the high beams.

Dave:
bikefrk:
Old 11-29-2009, 05:14 PM   #14352
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,026
This is a good endorsement. Thanks. I just got back from the LA_B_LV ride.

A good bit of Huskys to be seen. OMG that course was a handfull on my 990. All of that deep deep sand that we rode for miles and miles. I need a smaller bike!

steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct
+ 1 On UPTITE... I'm sure George would do his very best to give anyone the right price.. He is nothing but the most helpful, fair, straightforward person you could meet. A Husky guru and legend. You could NEVER have better support from another "dealer".

I didn't buy my bike from him, being from the east coast, but I've bought parts and accs. from him. Since then been lucky enough to meet him, ride with him, and have him service my bike. I can't think of another "dealer" that would talk you step by step over the phone as you open up you're bike to fix a broken couterbalancer woodruff key as he did with me.
I've heard him do the same, talk people through trouble shooting/ repairs over the phone for AS LONG AS IT TAKES, multiple times while I was in his shop just to BS...
Even if you can save a FEW $$$ somewhere else, his knowledge and support for the brand and riding in general is PRICELESS...
2014 KTM 500EXC
dirtdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:17 PM   #14353
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks, I understand your advice. You talk about the 630 having teething pains...so it is more than just a bit more cc on the same engine? A major re-design? If so, I agree to let things settle out.

steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic
I'd probably wait for the 630,

But...

It's a first year bike and will likely have some teething pains.
It's going to be rare and $$$
I gotta think they are gonna want to dump 610's for cheap.

As far as dealers, I can't say enough good things about George at Up-tite. I don't know if he's the cheapest but he's probably the best. Wheeling and dealing I --think-- Malcolm Smith will negotiate a fair amount. (just from looking at sticker movement on the KTM 690R they had. I haven't really investigated their husky pricing much)
2014 KTM 500EXC
Old 11-29-2009, 05:23 PM   #14354
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

I was over at GP a few weeks ago and looked at the single TE610 they had. Nice! I talked with the manager for a few minutes about price and he was non-committal. One thing irritating is that when I asked when the 2010's were coming in...he did not mention anything about the 610 moving to a 630. I left the shop thinking a 09 was going to be similar to a 2010 although I never specifically asked. Buyer beware but still I probably talked to the sales team for 20 minutes. I later looked at the Husky website for some specs to find only the 630 listed. steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyDu
I picked mine up at GP Motorcycles here in SD because I've been dealing with them for years, but calling around I found that Malcolm Smiths's has an '09 TE610 for $8000 out the door (a little over $1000 off sticker). They seemed hard-up to make a sale, so you might even do better than that.

Oh, and thanks for the advice xymotic- I just ordered a BMP case saver and a HuskySpeed gas cap.
2014 KTM 500EXC
Old 11-29-2009, 05:26 PM   #14355
K7MDL
TE450, TE610

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain eagle
Hey K7MDL if you are able to source the connector for the back of the gauges please let us know, my clip that locks it in broke and I'd love to replace it. With the male/female combo we could build a jumper extension easy enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoder
The speedo plug part number and wiring table are here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=482490
I just researched the mating connectors and pins and took a quick look-see on my bike. I think I have the correct parts identified for both genders. I updated Hoder's thread (in link above) with Digi-Key and Mouser part numbers and today's pricing.

Not sure when I will get around to this, but hopefully soon. I ordered the connectors tonight though. I am going to call PT Eduro Concepts this week about the sub mount and HDB top clamp matchup. I may try the gas tank bolt mounted pin idea down the road, including beefing up that weld if needed. I still have a hankering for the Motoportz stabilizer though, so some more discussion required to see if one of the underbar versions can be fit into the PT submount.

Thanks to all for the ideas and info! This will keep me off the streets and out of trouble for a few days longer.

- Mike

K7MDL screwed with this post 11-29-2009 at 07:20 PM