User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2006, 06:34 AM   #1
freaking RT OP
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,761
hey FL boys- Key West question

I've got an itch that needs to be scratched.

from here to the Keys is a nice Saddle Sore 1000, itch #1 here to there is 1103 miles

I just want to go there, itch #2

so the question is, what day of the week is the best for traffic?? and how's September down there???
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 06:41 AM   #2
DirtDOG
Same Dog, New Tricks

Oddometer: 17,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by freaking RT
I've got an itch that needs to be scratched.

from here to the Keys is a nice Saddle Sore 1000, itch #1 here to there is 1103 miles

I just want to go there, itch #2

so the question is, what day of the week is the best for traffic?? and how's September down there???
Last time I went the traffic was so bad that I just flew the next time. You'll love it, the place is full of liberals.
DirtDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 06:44 AM   #3
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,156
I don't live there, but had a contract there for years and used to ride down there. Wed and Thur are the best days that we found for going up and down. We even had a friendly garbage semi with a CB run interference for us with the Monroe Cty Mounties.

As for heat, it's hot, still coming off the "cam" but there is generally a good breeze and has never felt as hot as Miami or the rest of slab on the way down and back.

This is also the start of hurricane season, so keep an eye on that. I have enjoyed 60+mph winds and water down there that time of year and it would suck large on a bike.

Once you hit FLA, I would suggest going around the other side of Lake O and eventually getting to 27/Chrome ave and avoiding I95 and Miami. I really hate I95 in FL.

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 06:46 AM   #4
Jack Daniel
See Ya At The Swamp

Oddometer: 12,004
Friday and Sunday afternoons are the worse. There's a shitload of Miami Yankees that go there on the weekends.

If you're coming this way let me know. I used to have a house in Big Pine and still have a close friend there that rides a Fatboy. I'd sure like to join you. Let me know

The Scrub The Swamp
Jack Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 06:48 AM   #5
PhilSpace
The Gov

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDOG
Last time I went the traffic was so bad that I just flew the next time. You'll love it, the place is full of liberals.
More than liberals. Make sure you stay at the Southern Most and frequent that end of Duval, especially the La Te Da, and don't forget your assless chaps

EDIT: found the linky for the La Te Da - interesting place Linky

Of course there are other establishments down there, but most of the female dancers are gay, they were more interested in spacewife than me

PhilSpace screwed with this post 08-04-2006 at 06:54 AM
Old 08-04-2006, 06:58 AM   #6
Jack Daniel
See Ya At The Swamp

Oddometer: 12,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSpace
More than liberals. Make sure you stay at the Southern Most and frequent that end of Duval, especially the La Tea Da, and don't forget your assless chaps
I replaced the sewer on that end of Duval back in '97

Check out the Scrub Club where the chicks bathe you

Right across the street is Wings; it's a great butterfly garden.

I'm gonna make a run down there to pick-up some lobster in September. I might as well ride the Wing and pull a cooler behind me.

The Scrub The Swamp
Jack Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 07:22 AM   #7
freaking RT OP
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,761
Wednesday and Thursday---check

Thanks for the offer, Jack. I have friends on a boat on Marathon, so I'll be using them as the end witness.

I'll keep you posted on the dates, You can hook up that trailer and join in

There's not going to be time to hang out down there. It's a dash down and back for a photo op bring on the Red Bull

maybe I'll stop at the golf hall of fame coming home
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 09:00 AM   #8
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,687
I found riding west towards Key West in the late afternoon to be a pain because the low sun was an eyeball-buster. Maybe you aren't as sensitive to it as I am. Same of riding out in the morning. If I were doing a timed IBA run, I'd leave from Key West sufficiently early in the morning to ride the 130 miles to Homestead before sunrise. Pretty well guarantees low traffic as well. Puts you through Miami in time to enjoy the morning rush hour, so a Saturday or Sunday trip would be less traumatic as the godless masses are still hung over at (somebody's) home and the work-a-day lumpen are rubbing their eyes and just waking up to weekend coffee.

Oh and if you drop your motel key in KW, kick it back to the room and back up to a wall before you bend over to pick it up.
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 10:17 AM   #9
rob23
on the pipe

Oddometer: 1,811
I've been to Keys several times and it's really nice. It is very very hot, in August when I went iit was 110 and humid. I suggest stopping at the various keys along the way. There's a state park on one of the keys that has nice natural beaches. Rent a jet ski and check out the Gulf side. Stop at Robby's and feed the tarpins (gulf side). Go snorkeling in Key West, the reefs out there are really cool. Check out the Hemming Way house and light house. There's a nice beach on the the east side. Get really drunk and find a hotel because there are lots and lots of DWI check points on the ride home and watch your speed, tons of LEOS.

have fun and take some great pics.
rob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:00 PM   #10
HTSRocker
Absurd

Oddometer: 2,325
and when your done with all of that shit, head up and over to Tallahassee for a drink...and maybe some food and a chance to get your head back together or just get a different view on the way back.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:12 PM   #11
philp38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSpace
More than liberals. Make sure you stay at the Southern Most and frequent that end of Duval, especially the La Te Da, and don't forget your assless chaps

EDIT: found the linky for the La Te Da - interesting place Linky

Of course there are other establishments down there, but most of the female dancers are gay, they were more interested in spacewife than me
The wife and I stayed at the Wicker house on Duvall street. We had a great time. The Wicker house was the best around and the cheapest. La Te Da my wife surprised me with tickets to see the cher look alikes. I would say the best way to describe Key West is anything goes. We had a ball just sitting on Duval street drinking and watching some very interesting people.....Oh Yeah about that itch you got ....I would think you could get that taken care of at the La Te Da or the Scrub Club also...heheheheh

philp38 screwed with this post 08-04-2006 at 12:19 PM
philp38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:25 PM   #12
philp38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile
Oh and if you drop your motel key in KW, kick it back to the room and back up to a wall before you bend over to pick it up.
Now thats some honest shit right there. If you are not up against a wall you better have a tattoo on your ass that says exit only..............
philp38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 01:35 PM   #13
PhilSpace
The Gov

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile
I found riding west towards Key West in the late afternoon to be a pain because the low sun was an eyeball-buster.
Damn that's my favorite time. I got a gorgeous shot of the sunset from the 7mi bridge. I just wear sunglasses under a tinted visor.

Old 08-04-2006, 04:29 PM   #14
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 73,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by freaking RT
and how's September down there???
It's the heart of hurricane season.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 04:33 PM   #15
PhilSpace
The Gov

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax
It's the heart of hurricane season.