User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2006, 09:07 AM   #1
Bogiewan OP
Not So Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
DL650 compared to F650GS

Considering getting a K7 DL-650 with ABS.
I have been riding about 6 months after MSF course.
Had a K1 F650GS for 4 months, loved it dearly.
Loved the low center of gravity, handling, ergos, really everything.
Had electrical problems the dealer couldn't find and after calling for a jump 1 too many times I gave it back to the dealer.
(BTW they were great- Irv Seaver in OC.)

I was planning to get a DL650 but after reading some comments about it's high center of gravity I'm wondering if it's right for me.
I probably will use 80% on road for awhile but intend to go off the pavement eventually. (6', 230lbs, 32" inseam.)

Anyone have experience on both to compare and comment?
Bogiewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 09:17 AM   #2
Prairie Dog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 748
Bogiewan,

There are much worse bikes to choose than the DL-650. There might be some that are better, but that really depends on the kind of riding you will be doing.

I don't have a DL-650, but I do have a DL-1000. Don't have much more than a few rides on a F650GS Dakar, but I own a KLR650, a KLR250 and a KLX250.

If you're going to ride mostly highway - you state 80% of the time I think you will be happy with the DL-650.

Off road prowess is something that can only be developed by riding in the dirt. There is a certain feeling that must be learned and the only way to do that is to ride the bike in the conditions that you want to ride in.

I have been with some outstanding riders that could probably take a Gold Wing 1800 into some areas that I take my KLR650 into with no problems. However they spent many hours riding in those conditions to learn how to handle the bike!

It's not really the bike my friend, it's the rider when it comes to being able to ride off road.

Just a thought.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

'08 KLE 650-A8F
'06 DL-1000 K6
'06 KLX 331 H6
'04 KLR 650 A18
'92 EX500 - one day a KLEX500?
'74 Honda CB350F - project bike

"You'll never see a motorcycle parked in front of a Psychiatrist's office!"
Prairie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:57 AM   #3
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,926
Still haven't found the search function, I see.

You seem to know its been covered every way from Sunday, so why not do some research, go ride both, and make up your own mind?
Old 06-23-2008, 12:21 PM   #4
pbansen
Hosehead

Oddometer: 434
F650 vs. DL650

I've ridden the F650GS a good bit as a lead rider for BMW. I recently bought a DL650, so I've spent some saddle time on each machine. I have more miles on the F650 than the Wee.

They are both great bikes, but you already know that. For a 650 single, the F650 is much smoother and 'all-day' comfortable at highway speeds than it has any right to be. The F650GS, particularly the Dakar, has the potential to handle gnarlier off-road riding than the Strom.

The Strom will handle unpaved roads well, but lacks the ground clearance and suspension travel that give the GS the edge in more challenging terrain. In my opinion, the Strom is a better on-road bike - it has more power, a better ride, more conventional ergonomics and more weather protection than the GS.

If your interests tend more toward dirt and you want a bike that's comfortable to ride a distance to the dirt, the GS is probably a better choice. If you tend to be more of a street/touring/sport rider and you want a dual-sport that will do really well on pavement, get the Strom.

A lot depends on setup, but I think it would be accurate to say that while the F650 is very good on pavement, it will never be as capable on asphalt as the Strom. Likewise, the DL650 can be set up to be very good off-road, but it will never equal the capability of the F650GS (especially the Dakar) in the dirt.

It's all about what is fun for you and, at the end of the day, it's the rider, not the bike...
pbansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:37 PM   #5
Resq47
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
So what about the new twin F650GS
Resq47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:41 PM   #6
DaveO
BOF

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbansen
I've ridden the F650GS a good bit as a lead rider for BMW. I recently bought a DL650, so I've spent some saddle time on each machine. I have more miles on the F650 than the Wee.

They are both great bikes, but you already know that. For a 650 single . . .
Damn! I really, really, really wish BMW had picked a new model designation for the twin. I think most current comparo interest is between the Weestrom and the new F650GS twin - not the old single.

DaveO
DaveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:39 PM   #7
Resq47
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
I agree, and I'm beginning to wonder if I'll have an easier time getting a F650GS next month than the DL650 I've had a deposit on...
Resq47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:30 PM   #8
pbansen
Hosehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO
Damn! I really, really, really wish BMW had picked a new model designation for the twin. I think most current comparo interest is between the Weestrom and the new F650GS twin - not the old single.

DaveO
I can't imagine why they're calling the new detuned twin by the same name as a previous model - it seems confusing, illogical - utterly 'un-German'.

The Wee and the 'to be unveiled' F650GS are the most comparable (assuming the promised F650 isn't just vaporware), but the original poster was asking for a comparison of the thumper F650 (he had a 2001 he was lusting after) and the Wee.

I would really, really like to ride the F800GS and compare it to a DL650.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:24 AM   #9
Night_Wolf
Leg Humper

Oddometer: 8,068
The "new" F650gs isn't "vaporware" & is available in Canada currently. In fact at one of the stops on the BC Big Traille ride one ended up in the same parking lot as we did

Quote:

The Wee and the 'to be unveiled' F650GS are the most comparable (assuming the promised F650 isn't just vaporware), .

L 51.01.900 / L W 114.05.900

"That road less traveled is a toll road, and sometimes the charge is more expensive than we ever expected. Most of the time, it's a one way road. Make the decision, hope for the best, and start traveling. Carry lots of coins." PecosBill

Pick good friends and you'll never be lacking Family Me
Night_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:24 AM   #10
pbansen
Hosehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Wolf
The "new" F650gs isn't "vaporware" & is available in Canada currently. In fact at one of the stops on the BC Big Traille ride one ended up in the same parking lot as we did
Sorry, haven't been paying close attention. It appears that someone in Alberta posted pics of their new F650GS a month ago. My bad.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:03 AM   #11
blackie
Still Hibernating

Quote:
I would really, really like to ride the F800GS and compare it to a DL650.
The F650GS twin is more like the DL650's competition instead of the 800GS which is looking at the Africa Twin, Super Tenere, DL1000, KTM990 etc niche ....