User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2014, 03:22 AM   #1
390beretta OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 904
Photo Radar

My wife got nabbed by photo radar the other day, in her car. (allegedly running a red light, which she claims she didn't do...that she may have gone thru on a yellow) No doubt it's her car, good photo of her driving. The notice came in the regular mail and asked her to fess up and pay a fine with a mild warning that if she didn't there might be an additional penalty.

She asked a friend who is a police officer and works for the jurisdiction that issued the ticket, his advice was to "just throw it away" He said that if it wasn't delivered by a LEO or an officer of the court, it's invalid and you don't even have to respond.

What do you all think? Any experience you can share? Thanks
Old 03-05-2014, 03:37 AM   #2
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
My wife got nabbed by photo radar the other day, in her car. (allegedly running a red light, which she claims she didn't do...that she may have gone thru on a yellow) No doubt it's her car, good photo of her driving. The notice came in the regular mail and asked her to fess up and pay a fine with a mild warning that if she didn't there might be an additional penalty.

She asked a friend who is a police officer and works for the jurisdiction that issued the ticket, his advice was to "just throw it away" He said that if it wasn't delivered by a LEO or an officer of the court, it's invalid and you don't even have to respond.

Where I live the citation comes with a picture of the "offense". Officers sit in a room and make the call if you did or did not run a light. The formula is: if your car is half way thru the intersection then NO ticket. Look at it and you can contest. Also if there is a car riding the bumper of your wife's car yiu could make the case that she couldn't stop bc of of it (accident).
IMHO I would just pay it tho. There are ways it could bite you at the end if you ignore it. The worst would be ending in jail for an unpaid ticket. Yearly I see a warrant roundup another -done where I live- is blocking your ability to register your car (pay taxes) when there is an outstanding ticket or toll charge.
I would pay to keep peace of mind, btw if you do pay it make sure you document it. Get a receipt, copy of the check or transaction if its online and save the screen image as a PDF for at least 2 yrs.
Good luck
Ps
You can use this to your advantage when wifey gives you the dreaded "list"
Old 03-05-2014, 04:21 AM   #3
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,102
Just throw it away.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:03 AM   #4
eric1514
(R)

Oddometer: 326
Quote:

I got a speeding ticket from a roadside camera in Phoenix once. I ignored it for the reason you cited. That was years ago. I've had dealings with the MVD and there seems to be no record of the ticket on file.
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:27 AM   #5
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:

where are you ?

laws are different everywhere

would you ignore a parking ticket where you live ?
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:54 AM   #6
Swashbuckler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
We have camera cars everywhere. One sits at the bottom of a 25mph hill and has picked me up a few times. I just throw them away. Until someone physically serves me, either in person, or I sign for it from UPS or Fedex, then they have no way of proving I ever received the ticket. But i'm not even the slightest bit worried that they'll come to my door when they are already making millions from other terrified people.

Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2004 CRF450R - Supermoto / 2007 GSXR 750 / 1991 Yamaha XJ600 Secca II
Swashbuckler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:07 AM   #7
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 909
Here's a lot of info about my state. Some of it may apply.
http://www.highwayrobbery.net/

Here real tickets can come in the regular mail.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:07 AM   #8
birds
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
There is a lot of guidance about this stuff online. In lots of states you can just throw it away. If only there was an expert who you could ask for your jurisdiction...
birds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:21 AM   #9
cycleman2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
It all depends on what your state or provincial legislation has to say about photo radar and the service of tickets. Where I live you get them in the mail, you can go to court and contest it if you want, but you can't just throw it away. Eventually they will catch up to me. So I just pay them.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:35 AM   #10
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591
Not to be a killjoy, but have you asked your wife why she thinks it's ok to blow through a yellow or orange/red light? As a m/c, this is probably the greatest danger you face along with distracted drivers. Yellow still means stop.
Preach over. Since the ticket was not sent registered mail, wait to see if it shows up on record before paying it. In BC tickets always show up at the post office and hsve to be signed for, however the clerk cannot show you the envelope before it arrives. Smart.
Alternately, just pay it and clear your karmic ledger.
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:50 AM   #11
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer2609 View Post
Yellow still means stop.
No, it actually doesn't. The laws are different everywhere, but in most places you can't enter an intersection after it's turned red. Once you are in the intersection it can change all it want's to, you are legal. The only riders endangered are the ones who take off without looking the instant the light turns green. Green doesn't mean go, it means go if it's safe to do so.

Panic stopping at the first sign of yellow will get you rear ended. I stopped for a yellow light too short in front of a cop once, he was pissed. He was planning on rolling through like a normal person, I made him slam on his brakes, he didn't like that much.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:56 AM   #12
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer2609 View Post
Not to be a killjoy, but have you asked your wife why she thinks it's ok to blow through a yellow or orange/red light? As a m/c, this is probably the greatest danger you face along with distracted drivers. Yellow still means stop.
Preach over. Since the ticket was not sent registered mail, wait to see if it shows up on record before paying it. In BC tickets always show up at the post office and hsve to be signed for, however the clerk cannot show you the envelope before it arrives. Smart.
Alternately, just pay it and clear your karmic ledger.
This.

Let her pay the ticket by herself so she'll learn that actions = consequences.

So maybe next time she'll think about it twice before running a red light, which is a very dangerous move for her and every other users around.

It's how it works with children.

Wait...she's an adult? OK...then act as one!

Pay the damn ticket!

Unless she's absolutely sure she didn't run a light, that the light turned yellow just as she was crossing the intersection or very close to it. Then contest it. But whatever your laws say, you can't just toss it away and do like it never ever existed.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:02 AM   #13
KirkN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
No, it actually doesn't. The laws are different everywhere, but in most places you can't enter an intersection after it's turned red. Once you are in the intersection it can change all it want's to, you are legal. The only riders endangered are the ones who take off without looking the instant the light turns green. Green doesn't mean go, it means go if it's safe to do so.

Panic stopping at the first sign of yellow will get you rear ended. I stopped for a yellow light too short in front of a cop once, he was pissed. He was planning on rolling through like a normal person, I made him slam on his brakes, he didn't like that much.
That's how it is around here. Here, when you get a red-light running ticket in the mail, the accompanying picture (and an included link to the actual video, including slo-mo, of the event) clearly shows you not-yet-entered in the intersection with the light red. Boom - ticket for you. If you're IN the intersection when it turns red, no ticket. I suspect the OP's photo shows her NOT YET IN the intersection, despite her protestations that she didn't run it. Again, around here, the proof was very conclusive (son got one...)

OTOH, that cop can be pissed all he wants, but he couldn't write you a ticket for it. Well, he could, but he'd lose if you took it to court.
KirkN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:17 AM   #14
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
would you ignore a parking ticket where you live ?
A parking ticket is not equivalent to a moving violation.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:39 AM   #15
tick-tock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
In my area (metro-Atlanta), some of the jurisdictions have set this scam up so that it is a civil penalty not a criminal one. The good news is that it won't go on your driving record but the bad news is that, if you don't pay it, they will send the bill to collections. Paying a small fine is better than having a ding on your credit report.
tick-tock is offline   Reply With Quote