Old 08-09-2005, 06:33 PM   #31
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,777
Quote:
48. Trying to countersteer (or wheelie) your shaft dirven bike? ;-}

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert in TX
Don't get this one... could someone 'splain it to me?
Me either, both are quite easy, and commonly done!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 07:54 PM   #32
LandRover
Road Warrior

Oddometer: 124
Bluhduh

Good Lord ... this list is enough to keep one laughing for hours ....
Of course, I've never done any of those foolish moves ....

All who wander are not lost.
Be a traveler, not a tourist ...

LandRover screwed with this post 08-09-2005 at 07:56 PM Reason: spelling
LandRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 11:10 AM   #33
beemer boy
Oh no, he's gone Asian

Oddometer: 869
How about...... The kickstand is slightly too long on my ktm 950. Just finished a 5000 km trip through Laos and Cambodia without the sides of the bike touching anything except air. At the very end of the trip in the garage I took off the heavier left side saddle bag. Of course the second I took the bag off the bike teeters for a second then executes a perfect slow crash on the right side into my friend's Africa Twin that he had foolishly parked right next to me. His bike sort of caught mine about half the way down, with only my rear view mirror dying and a few tiny scratches. I looked stunned for a few seconds then started laughing at the irony. So now I pull off my right side bag first.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:18 PM   #34
woodsrider-boyd
Wow, these guys are fast

Oddometer: 452
How about just being a complete idiot?

Had just finished washing my dirt bike (KTM 520 EXC) in my driveway and like usual, I started it up to dry it off. No problem so far. Next up is to drive it around the block to dry it off a bit. I usually grab my helmet and gloves for this, but for some reason I decided I didn't need to (mistake #1).

So I get on the bike and ease it out of the driveway. Ahh, what a beautiful day! Somewhere in the next millisecond, my brain decides that I MUST do a stand-up wheelie down the road.

My first ever!

With no helmet and gloves on. Just like I had seen my buddy do out on the trails recently (mistake #2).

I'm still in 1st gear (2nd gear would have been better - mistake #3), and I crack the throttle (mistake #4) instead of just easing it on.

What the hell was I thinking?!!!

Anyway, the front end came up way fast. I do remember thinking "holy shit that front end came up fast!" as I chopped the throttle right before I looped it.

Next thing the front end came crashing down with me and the bike leaning slightly to the right. My right foot came off the peg as we went down and the bike and I proceeded to bounce of the pavement in a shower of sparks and noise.

Ouch.

As I got up I realized that I wasn't seriously hurt and that my melon had somehow managed to not bounce off the pavement. I then noticed our 7 yr old neighbor kid staring at me with eyes as big as plates and her mouth hanging wide open.

After assuring her that I was alright, she proceeded to lecture me on not wearing my helmet.

Smart kid.

I did manage to get the bike back in the garage and my hand and knee bandaged up before the wife and kids got home though.

'06 Husqvarna WR125
woodsrider-boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 05:11 PM   #35
bruno twip
On Island Time

Oddometer: 403
Pulling a U-Turn in a wet resturant parking lot and not seeing the stick that lifts your front tire while leaned over. The speed that your can pick up an RT is directly proportional to the number of people who saw you drop it.

Thinking the RT is a GS
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
Mark Twain
bruno twip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 06:05 PM   #36
notmike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
How about lending your Tiger to your friend and have him pull into a gas station fully loaded for camping with his girlfriend riding pillion just plain dump it. Can't wait to borrow his Dakar.
notmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 03:39 PM   #37
flaterik
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 68
on sunday i went for a little ride up into the mountains north of LA, exploring dirt roads as i saw them.

went down the first one, thought "gee, some of this is awfully soft, I should take some air out of my tires"

put the kickstand down, put my foot down, tried to test the ground to see if it'll hold...

nope. bike went right over - with me still on it.

....it was REALLY soft.

(holy shit that was a bitch to get back up by myself)
flaterik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 02:23 PM   #38
bmwhd
God Bless Texas

Oddometer: 1,476
Funny thread! I've done a few of these and invented a new (to me) method this weekend...
Went on a trail ride down an old rail road line with a bunch of KLRs, a V-strom, and a couple of real dirt bikes. After riding 1.5 hours through hellish traffic and heat to get to the trail head, I manage all of 500m before we come to a bridge with a 1 foot tall lip. The V-strom gets high centered so I have plenty of time to sit and stare at said lip while a few riders in front of me muscle the 'strom over the bridge.

Finally, it's my turn...no wait, one rider needs to get off and pile more rocks up in front of the lip...wait some more...NOW it's my turn. Stand up, approach carefully, and grab WAY too much throttle in my impatience to get going...get both wheels airborne and crash hard on the left side. ATGATT saved me but my KLR suffered badly. All my protective stuff on the bike including my HT nerf bars did their jobs but gave their lives to the cause. Ripped my Pelican side case off and trashed my fairing support bracket too. Worst part was having 20 other riders for an audience

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 02:30 PM   #39
bruno twip
On Island Time

Oddometer: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd
Funny thread! I've done a few of these and invented a new (to me) method this weekend...
Went on a trail ride down an old rail road line with a bunch of KLRs, a V-strom, and a couple of real dirt bikes. After riding 1.5 hours through hellish traffic and heat to get to the trail head, I manage all of 500m before we come to a bridge with a 1 foot tall lip. The V-strom gets high centered so I have plenty of time to sit and stare at said lip while a few riders in front of me muscle the 'strom over the bridge.

Finally, it's my turn...no wait, one rider needs to get off and pile more rocks up in front of the lip...wait some more...NOW it's my turn. Stand up, approach carefully, and grab WAY too much throttle in my impatience to get going...get both wheels airborne and crash hard on the left side. ATGATT saved me but my KLR suffered badly. All my protective stuff on the bike including my HT nerf bars did their jobs but gave their lives to the cause. Ripped my Pelican side case off and trashed my fairing support bracket too. Worst part was having 20 other riders for an audience
What no pictures. We need pictures. We want pictures.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
Mark Twain
bruno twip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 10:29 AM   #40
Jeff Sumner
Boxerator

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pontes
Good Lord ... this list is enough to keep one laughing for hours ....
Of course, I've never done any of those foolish moves ....
Hmmm. I seem to recall something about punching a buzzard at speed, and the resultant feathers EVERYWHERE issue...

Got a CBX from my father- big old Honda 6 cylinder job. He'd stored it for 13 years, and I was riding it from California to the native Ohio- only had 2,700 miles on it. First gas stop in Nevada, and I tried to put it on the centerstand, only to figure that the pothole underneath was going to e--a--t the right hand extension to the centerstand...

Only damage was to the crash bar, oh! And my pride. I picked it up myself, with my back, so juiced was I on adrenaline. Sore for days.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:17 PM   #41
bmwhd
God Bless Texas

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzimbric
What no pictures. We need pictures. We want pictures.
Well, since none were taken, perhaps it didn't really happen

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 08:59 PM   #42
LandRover
Road Warrior

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Sumner
Hmmm. I seem to recall something about punching a buzzard at speed, and the resultant feathers EVERYWHERE issue...

Got a CBX from my father- big old Honda 6 cylinder job. He'd stored it for 13 years, and I was riding it from California to the native Ohio- only had 2,700 miles on it. First gas stop in Nevada, and I tried to put it on the centerstand, only to figure that the pothole underneath was going to e--a--t the right hand extension to the centerstand...

Only damage was to the crash bar, oh! And my pride. I picked it up myself, with my back, so juiced was I on adrenaline. Sore for days.

HOLY SHIT!!! Jeff, how the hell you doing?? Good God man, I thought you fell off the face of the earth. How long has it been? Forever? I'll PM you ...

All who wander are not lost.
Be a traveler, not a tourist ...
LandRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 09:34 AM   #43
Lost4Areason
Roaming

Oddometer: 17
Wink Bump

Great thread. Glad to see folks are honest enough to admit one of the faux pas of riding.

OK, one of my many. On a lonely backroad of BFQuebec on my way to the Translabrador Highway I stop to take a picture. The bike is near vertical. I forget this when I remount and 'bump' the bike up with my left knee before sweeping the kickstand to the rear. I can't stop it, and the pig is now on it's right side at the crest of a hill and on the edge of a road that logging trucks seem to favor. I am so pissed that I forget to take a picture of this most worthy scene. The next ten minutes are spent trying to gain a foothold in the loose dirt of the ditch/shoulder before I finally get smart and just off load all of my crap. Sometimes the hard way is the easy way.
Lost4Areason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 10:25 PM   #44
BMWBard
Mystic Rider

Oddometer: 858
Hmmm...I've mentioned the slide into the 10' deep ditch while attempting to go round a flood barricade on a probably-no-longer-flooded road (I knew the area) for a look-see and misjudging how much clearance I had elsewhere, but I didn;t see that anywhere in this thread.

But here's my favorite, for the first time ever posted on the net!

Looking at "bigger" bikes after learning the ropes on a midsize Kaw that couldn't handle freeway or distance rides, not yet knowledgable enough to know by the name when one was impossible for me to ride, and so blinking at the hieght of the Sabre some guy was selling. No way, I tell him, can I handle that bike. It's MUCH too tall. The guy, obviously anxious to sell, assures me I can too and invites me to straddle the thing and see for myself. "Okay, it's your funeral" I reply, shrugging, through a leg over, and at his urging pull it up off the side stand...and promptly drop it to the other side as Straight Up the seat hieght literally pulls my feet off the ground.....
Old 11-05-2005, 11:02 PM   #45
Wayne Weber
why are we stopping?

Oddometer: 3,854
184. I like to wheelie up the driveway, touching the front wheel down, front brake locked, so I just tap the garage door. My wife hates when we do this two up .....but she's used to it.

So one day I wheelie up (one up) on the Rally Twin, and touch the wheel down, already locked. Except, there were weeds growing through the crack in the driveway which is excactly where I touch down, locked up.

It flips sideways and...

I carreen through my own garage door, sideways, breaking it in half. Laughing my ass off, as I'm crashing through my garage door!

I'm LOL now just typing this....I just stuck the door back together, the scar is there as proof and a reminder to touch down just before the weeds in the crack!
How's that?

04 KTM 950 S
93 KTM 550
93 XT225 Adventure Serow!
00 Weber Rally Twin (www.rallytwin.com)
Gas Gas 270
2 Waterbuffalo's (Sold!)
Wayne Weber is offline   Reply With Quote