ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2015, 04:04 PM   #1
pprO.R.A. OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
HMT trails info needed.

My group of 6 dirtbike riders are planning on going to Hatfield McCoy Trail system for our spring trip. I was hoping to get some local intel on best place to base out of for RV camping with direct access to a wide variety of trail systems, any help from ADV. community would be greatly appreciated.

A bit of background, the riders 45-52 old riders that have ridden colorado, utah,the ozark mtns.(Mo.&Ark.) and some of us in costa rica. So we can take on any obsticals we encounter, but are looking to mix some ST gnar with sight seeing two track and FS roads as well. Want to see as much stuff as we can in 3 days of riding.

I have done my research here and elsewhere, and have got some info from search here and dirtrider mag.write up and the HMT website as well. Seems first timers down there should go to Ashland to get access to a connected 3 trail system Indain, Pinnacle, Pocohantis, and Outlaw (which i don't know much about outlaw). BUT the online info is somewhat dated from 2007- 2012 being the most recent posts about the place.

I also have read much about the Rockhouse/ Buffalo Mtn. system for base out of Man or Gilbrt WV. but have heard the trails there are the first in the hmt system and are heavily eroded and an all day death march in some cases.
You know how that goes, my sitting here 1k miles away and never been there Idon't know what is realistic.
Hopefully you guys can steer me right in the planning with local advise,
TIA, Greg
Old 01-10-2015, 04:20 PM   #2
Al Tuna
PUI... Deal with it

Oddometer: 13,809
A lot of info Here

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1010309
Al Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:48 PM   #3
pprO.R.A. OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Tuna View Post
Thanks Al Tuna, good info there, I am trying to digest it all, lots of speed reading.

So is Matewan the best area to base?
Old 01-10-2015, 05:57 PM   #4
Al Tuna
PUI... Deal with it

Oddometer: 13,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by pprO.R.A. View Post
Thanks Al Tuna, good info there, I am trying to digest it all, lots of speed reading.

So is Matewan the best area to base?
It is for a large group. Don and Kathy have been very helpful setting it all up.

It will be my first visit.
Al Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:51 PM   #5
pprO.R.A. OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well i am not going to make it to BYOB in that time frame, even though it seems like a good rally to attend. But I started this thread to get some intel on the pros/ cons of each riding area weather it be Matewan, Ashland, Man ,Gilbert etc for ease of trail access and camping avail. along with fuel stops in long loops that are best condusive to a good mix of dirtbike riding, including ST to ADV.riding two track sight seeing the appalachians,and getting lunch in the next town XX miles away, and returning on a different trail.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:11 PM   #6
pprO.R.A. OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Bump

Anyone,,,, have preferrance of where they like to base out of ?
Old 01-11-2015, 03:17 PM   #7
eddie bolted
BOING!!!

Oddometer: 3,829
COOL PLACE!
http://www.atvridersparadise.com/

It's mostly Dan........I knew he couldn't keep a secret(SCOTTY P)
eddie bolted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:25 PM   #8
H14
I Gotta Go!

Oddometer: 5,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by pprO.R.A. View Post
Anyone,,,, have preferrance of where they like to base out of ?
We stayed here http://www.twinhollowcampground.com/ and liked it really well. Nice clean place and access to Rockhouse. Don't know about the all day death march, we enjoyed the hell out of it.

PM inmate Motocox, they spend a lot of time down there and would be a really good source of info for you.
2012 Riding the Continental Divide
H14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 04:44 PM   #9
pprO.R.A. OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie bolted View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by H14 View Post
We stayed here http://www.twinhollowcampground.com/ and liked it really well. Nice clean place and access to Rockhouse. Don't know about the all day death march, we enjoyed the hell out of it.

PM inmate Motocox, they spend a lot of time down there and would be a really good source of info for you.
eddie bolted,, the link did not work for me, H14, that looks good thanks for the info. I am just trying to put some research together as we are traveling quite a distance from MO. and I want to get it right.
Will also PM motocox, Thanks
Old 01-11-2015, 04:48 PM   #10
EastBoundAndDown
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 744
Hatfield fan here. My favorite is to use the rockhouse trail system. Lodge in Gilbert, ride to Man for a beer, then back to Gilbert. Good mix of fast 5th gear stuff and gnarly single track. We have stayed at twin hollow and at devils anse trail house. Both great results. Devils Anse if you want to stay in town, Twin Hollow if you want to be on a MOUNTAIN!
Old 01-11-2015, 05:00 PM   #11
pprO.R.A. OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundAndDown View Post
Hatfield fan here. My favorite is to use the rockhouse trail system. Lodge in Gilbert, ride to Man for a beer, then back to Gilbert. Good mix of fast 5th gear stuff and gnarly single track. We have stayed at twin hollow and at devils anse trail house. Both great results. Devils Anse if you want to stay in town, Twin Hollow if you want to be on a MOUNTAIN!
Thanks EBAD, seems Twin Hollow can accomidate RV,you got pics or an RR? What about acces from there to other trail systems?
Old 01-12-2015, 06:37 AM   #12
Motocox
We will call him Thunder!

Oddometer: 889
H/m

With 3 days, there are lots ways you can work it. Buffalo mtn. has the most, and most difficult single track. 149, 199, 186, 197, 182 are all legit trails that take a good amount of rider skill to complete. 178 is brutal, stay away. 18, 16, 17, 13 are one long puddle. It's a full days ride, but you can go from Matewan to Williamson and back in a day. Not sure about camping options for this area, but trailsheaven.com should have that info.

Rock House does get the most traffic and the trails show that effect. There is still some good terrain, espically if you stick to the blues/blacks/single track. Oh, much of the single track flows better one way than the other. If you start 199 at the top, from 93, it's mostly down hill. This greatly reduces the time spent dragging bikes up the really difficult sections. And there are camping options. Also, they are working on a connector betwen rockhouse and buffalo mtn. Not sure when they are going to open it to the public, but something to keep in mind when planning dates. Having these two system connected is going to be awesome.

Lately, we have been staying in Bramwell, as it's the closest drive for us. So we ride Pocahontas and Indian Ridge the most. This really opens up the totaly miles available, but most trails are ATV/SxS wide. Single track is limited. You can stay at Ashland campground and make a day ride to Mullins or Pineville. This also puts you close to our favorite trail oasis, Riders Paradise. Hot burgers and cold beverages.

And there are tons of outlaw trails at every trail head. If you are GPS savy, look here: http://www.vvmapping.com/orvtrailGPSWV.html
But believe me when I say there is enough terrain to keep you entertained without having to ride outlaw stuff.
If you have any specific questions, let me know.
Motocox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:08 AM   #13
loosesprocket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
We have stayed in Gilbert 4 times and rode 4 wheelers in Rockhouse area. Short drives to Buffalo, Pinnacle and other Trails. We stayed at http://www.bigbearlodgewv.com. Stayed at the Lodge which is a nice house that sleeps 12 and has a nice kitchen, big carport to cook and relax under, washer, dryer and big sink to wash off dirty clothes before washing. Owners Jeff and Tina Trent are great people, local knowledge of the trails and you can ride from the Lodge to the Trailhead through town.
loosesprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:19 AM   #14
DJ.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
I have been riding there for the last 12 years about 6 to 8 times a year. Lots of good and bad. I however I do not ride motorcycles there I like dual sport riding and don't have a dirt bike. I only take ATV or SXS on the HMT trails and have ridden with others that have dirt bikes and we usually separate and meet back up for lunch or dinner.
However I have a lot of local knowledge about the area and the systems. If you are hauling an RV all the way from Missouri You can stay there cheaper in a cabin than you can in an RV. But you may prefer to have the comforts of home on wheels.
Best system is just an opinion everyone has one. You could spend three days at Buffalo Mtn and be very satisfied. Same is not true for Bearwallow or Little Coal River, although very nice they are smaller. Ivy Branch is more of a Jeep trail and probably not what you want. Rockhouse is the first trail that opened back in 2000 has a great reputation as the trail to ride. It has changed a lot over the 15 years it has been open. I personally have not been there in the last two years but I enjoy riding there when the conditions are not overly rocky as they often are. Pocahontas, Indian Ridge and Pinnacle Creek are all interconnected. Resulting in a huge chunk of riding. More than you could cover in three days. Food and gas at all three trail heads. Lodging is available and yes Ashland although it overpriced is central to everything. Cheaper and yes more rustic accommodations are very near by. Outlaw trails well there are more of them than there are HMT trails. Can be dangerous remote and confusing to navigate. Take a guide and be prepared if you know what I'm saying. However if you are adventurous and GPS savvy I can send you GPS maps. PM me if you want more specifics. Good luck
DJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:08 PM   #15
pprO.R.A. OP
Gnarly Adventurer

PM sent, thanks DJ.