ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2011, 07:29 AM   #14986
luni
A51 Tour Guide

Oddometer: 1,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifixfords View Post
Little over 5 hours on the DRZ all back roads.
Wow. I know after 100 miles on the DRZ I'm pretty much ready to put it up. Debating throwing on a wind screen, a bigger tank, and gettin a better seat but I get the nagging feeling I'm just trying to make it into something it's not.
luni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:53 AM   #14987
ifixfords
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by luni View Post
Wow. I know after 100 miles on the DRZ I'm pretty much ready to put it up. Debating throwing on a wind screen, a bigger tank, and gettin a better seat but I get the nagging feeling I'm just trying to make it into something it's not.
I have not tried riding mine with the stock seat, I bought it with the Corbin seat installed and it is about as comfortable as a dirt bike seat gets, and still lets you move around. As far as wind protection, I stick to back roads and try to keep speed below 60mph. Usually when it's ready for fuel I am ready for a break

2014 BMW F800GSA
2008 KTM200XC-W
2009 Beta EVO 250
ifixfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:57 AM   #14988
luni
A51 Tour Guide

I'll probably end up with a seat concepts by spring. I got the ATV seat cover and it made it a little better but it's still a 2x4.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:06 AM   #14989
ifixfords
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
I have heard the seat concepts is a good one. I feel lucky to have purchased a bike that is set up perfect for me and runs as well as this one, so I am pretty much leaving it alone.

2014 BMW F800GSA
2008 KTM200XC-W
2009 Beta EVO 250
ifixfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:29 AM   #14990
luni
A51 Tour Guide

Mine is set up as a great trails bike. Just wish I could get it a little more comfortable since I'm looking at about 20 miles to get to any of my trail heads. 40 miles minimum droning down more or less straight roads on a 2x4 just to get to and from single track is a bit put-offish. Need to get the dual back in dual sport. If I want to roll out and ride single track all day I just throw the CRF in the truck. Need to get the DRZ more touring worthy. Which brings me back to just getting a bigger cc, lower, not retardedly geared bike.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:13 PM   #14991
truck6driver
The Fireman

Oddometer: 7,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by luni View Post
Mine is set up as a great trails bike. Just wish I could get it a little more comfortable since I'm looking at about 20 miles to get to any of my trail heads. 40 miles minimum droning down more or less straight roads on a 2x4 just to get to and from single track is a bit put-offish. Need to get the dual back in dual sport. If I want to roll out and ride single track all day I just throw the CRF in the truck. Need to get the DRZ more touring worthy. Which brings me back to just getting a bigger cc, lower, not retardedly geared bike.
Bigger cc's is not always the best option. I had owned a XR650L dual sport for well over a decade (I miss the old bike ) anyway, I have ridden with all kinds of bikes and sizes and though the 650 was a very dirt capable bike it's size will work against you in the woods. I will admit the seat on the XR was like a sofa compared to the DRZ but after a tank of gas it was time for a break. I have done long rides with it and just because it was a big bore didn't make it a road bike. The DRZ has almost as much HP as the 650 and only lacked the torque in the low end.
Since you have the CRF you really might be better setting up the Suzuki than getting bigger unless you were looking at the KLR650 as a long range dual sport. But do some research as extensive suspension and brake upgrades will be needed to make the KLR a good in the dirt. Area 51 has had seen it's share of riders on KLR's past and present and they are good bikes just keep it in mind they will need some upgrades going into it. The DR650 is less road worthy than the KLR but a bit better than the XRL. Expect to be disappointed with the forks in the dirt and the seat isn't much better than the DRZ. As for the XRL the opposite is present. You will need to make it more "street worthy" as the XRL is based off the XR600R with only minimal frame and suspension changes.

Just my 2 cents worth, and take it as that.

Ray
truck6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:10 PM   #14992
luni
A51 Tour Guide

Ordered the 1" lower seat concepts foam and cover. See how I feel when my ass doesnt fall asleep and my feet touch the ground.

I was looking at One Less Harley's DRZ that he took on the TAT and that's more or less what I'm going for and I'm not to far off. Coincidentally I bought his FCR carb off him when he put he vacuum carb back on before he ran the TAT.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:22 PM   #14993
ncTRAILBOSS
A52 TOUR GUIDE

Oddometer: 2,536
We set a new record today at A52.16 bikes in our train!Kudos to Lurch for making sure we did'nt lose anybody today.Gotta say ,it's pure heaven this time of year on the "almost done" trail when there are so many orange leaves,you can't see your motorcycle!

TW and NB,hope yall had a safe ride up north,and represented us well!
ncTRAILBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:36 PM   #14994
hotdog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
orange?

damp place is turning into a ktm club!!!
1974 Water Buffalo
hotdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:57 PM   #14995
ncTRAILBOSS
A52 TOUR GUIDE

Oddometer: 2,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdog View Post
damp place is turning into a ktm club!!!
And?????????
ncTRAILBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #14996
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,355
1000 Pages

Wow - 1000 pages

The Hammer was great - you guys would like it, we had a good weekend. It was a very well run event and a great ride. Met some new friends, and caught up with some old ones I haven't seen in a few years. The trails were sweet! I'll be back next year. Not many pics, was too busy having fun riding to stop much.

Here's our hotel for the weekend, pretty comfy, but I swore I heard varmints gnawing on my tent in the wee hours of the morning.

I did manage to stop once along the trail for a shot, I couldn't pass this one up:

I'd like to do this ride again, perhaps next year. There are some murmurings about a spring Hammer Run over on the Hammer thread, so might not have to wait that long.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:40 AM   #14997
eyedragaknee
McGuyver

Oddometer: 2,317
Hammer

What is that under the other tent?
eyedragaknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:49 AM   #14998
NORBVR
Not so gnarly

Oddometer: 374
Eh? 1K of fun and knowledge

Thanks for a thousand pages of fun, friends and knowledge, Chad!

Peter
Old 11-07-2011, 04:49 PM   #14999
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedragaknee View Post
What is that under the other tent?
Only the sweeeetest Berg this side of the bike under the far tent.

Me and NB had a blast.

Hammer Run is hands down the best ride I've ever done. Nothing Dual Sport about it. Sicker single track than any Hare Scramble I've done. If you plan on doing it next year start your fitness program now. This ride is no joke and takes no prisoners. "Expert A" rider took 6 hrs 45 min to pre run the 90 mile Saturday course. A few guys air lifted out from what I hear.

Plenty of video posted over on the Hammer Run thread.

Already planning for next year.

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE

Tarheel Wheeler screwed with this post 11-07-2011 at 06:41 PM
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:04 PM   #15000
Mr. Magoo
Follow me; I'm lost!

Oddometer: 4,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Wheeler View Post
Only the sweeeetest Berg this side of the bike under the far tent.

Me and NB had a blast.

Hammer Run is hands down the best ride I've ever done. Nothing Dual Sport about it. Sicker single track than any Hare Scramble I've done. If you plan on doing it next year start your fitness program now. This ride is no joke and takes no prisoners. "Expert A" rider took 6 hrs 45 min to pre run the 90 mile Saturday course. A few guys air lifted out from what I hear.

Plenty of video posted over on the Hammer Run thread.

Already planning for next year.
Glad ya'll had a good time! Now, imagine doing that ride on a R1200GS Adventure after riding up there via the scenic route....

... that said, it's better on a small bike.
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote