ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2012, 09:18 PM   #15886
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,635
Good luck to all the A51 and 52 guys racing tomorrow.

Race safe and hard!

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:01 AM   #15887
IT 400
Junk Collector

Oddometer: 1,571
Out the door headed for A52...See Ya'...

Vintage Iron Underground, IN THE HOUSE....er, uh mud???
IT 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:18 AM   #15888
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Ob hs

Looks like the wx is ain't going to cooperate for racing down at OB today. I feeeeexd it.

You guys have fun!

Tarheel Wheeler screwed with this post 02-20-2012 at 06:47 AM
Old 02-19-2012, 01:26 PM   #15889
IT 400
Junk Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Wheeler View Post
Looks like the wx is going to cooperate and provide great conditions for racing down at OB today. Guess those prayers paid off.

You guys have fun!
I ain't say'n nuttin...I'll let the other dogs bark first...All I know is the "Twisty Trail" was the "NASTYEST" thing I've ever ridden a motorcycle across...
Old 02-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #15890
eyedragaknee
McGuyver

Oddometer: 2,317
Today

Fuzzy slippers, fireplace, watching re-runs of Bubba crash(no shortage of footage there) looked pretty comfy from here.

If it didn't kill ya, I bet ya'll are a lot stronger today.

Pics?
eyedragaknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #15891
Alanjdoc
In it for FUN

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedragaknee View Post
Fuzzy slippers, fireplace, watching re-runs of Bubba crash(no shortage of footage there) looked pretty comfy from here.

Pics?
That would have been the best place to have been today it was nasty!
Alanjdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:00 PM   #15892
IT 400
Junk Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedragaknee View Post

Pics?
...maybe tomorrow...not so much today
Old 02-19-2012, 04:32 PM   #15893
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by IT 400 View Post
I ain't say'n nuttin...I'll let the other dogs bark first...All I know is the "Twisty Trail" was the "NASTYEST" thing I've ever ridden a motorcycle across...
Were there no other survivors? How was it?

I hope everyone had fun at least, no bike or body damage, and got some hot chocolate afterwards.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #15894
IT 400
Junk Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakes View Post
Were there no other survivors? How was it?

I hope everyone had fun at least, no bike or body damage, and got some hot chocolate afterwards.
It was INSANE...I didn't know a race like this was allowed to be run without you in it
Old 02-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #15895
ADHD
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I picked a hell of a day for my first HS! Still had a blast!
ADHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:04 PM   #15896
ncTRAILBOSS
A52 TOUR GUIDE

Oddometer: 2,536
Let me elaborate on IT400's description,people were getting stuck when they stopped to get scanned.

Never ever seen the place like that.Guess there have never been that many bikes on it while it's pouring rain[and lightning]

Paul Whibley looked to have a handle on it though when he came by me.

Did anybody mention that the twisty-trail was "special" today?

One of the fast kids ran me down and stopped me.He looked at me and said ,"am I bleeding?",I said "yeah,alot".He goes, wheres the fastest way home?????....Looked to have a broken nose.

Glad I was there!
ncTRAILBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:09 PM   #15897
eyedragaknee
McGuyver

My last MUD RACE!!

Actually I think TW and I did one more just to make sure we hated every minute

WE DID!

24 Hours of Canaan (Rhymes with Insane)

By Chris Kostman

Originally published in Bicycle Guide, although they basically ruined it when they edited it. This is what I really wrote.

I was in the shower with one shaved leg. Suddenly my teammate Harry Winand bursts in the door and tells me that I've been bumped up from fourth rider out to third. I've got five minutes until I have to hit the trail. So with one hairy leg and one shaved, I throw on my clothes and head over to the start/finish line. What an auspicious start it would prove to be. Not having had the luxury of pre-riding the course, I had little idea of what to expect. Let's just say that 11.5 miles of mud, swampy bog, puddles, rocks, five crashes, and six river crossings was not what I'd expected.

In common parlance this 24 hour four or five rider relay race held in the Canaan Valley of West Virginia is called the 24 Hours of Canaan, but it's more like the 24 Hours of Insane. Why? Well, there was a LeMans start with the first riders out all lined up across a river from their bikes. At the gunshot, they sprinted across the river, scrambled up the bank to mount their bikes, then turned around and pedaled straight back into the running masses to ford the river yet again. Each lap would start and finish with this river crossing. Got the picture?

The 11.5 mile loop was something like The Longest Mile, eleven point five times in a row. There's mile after mile of solid mud fireroad (how could there be a fire with this much water on the ground?) and singletrack that's worn down and rutted out with every passing rider (factor in 98 teams doing from twelve to nineteen loops each). Puddle after puddle of indeterminate depth would force two options: ride high on the edge of the trail and risk having your tyres slide right out and dumping you in the water, or blasting hell be damned through the puddles. Sometimes you'd plow through like Moses in the Red Sea, other times it was an over the bars projection lesson. Oh yeah, some of these "puddles" were 50 yards long and up to three feet deep.

L-R: Harry Winand, Gene Oberpriller, John Stamstad, Chris Kostman at the 24 Hours of Canaan
Then there were hills so steep that crawling up on all fours would be difficult. With a bike, in the mud, in a race, turned one of the hills into a medieval torture machine. I glued Ritchey Z-Max tyre treads to my Vittoria shoes to try to get more traction. Teammate Gene Oberpriller, who passed up a ride in the CoreStates PRO Championships to join the rest of us from Team Bridgestone in this mayhem, swears that the tree roots were glowing flourescent green when he scrambled up The Hill on his last lap. In daylight, no less... (Of course, he did post the fastest lap average of the event, so maybe he just pushed a little TOO hard...)

Then there's Moonrocks. Huge expanses of slab rock on this downhill stretch had water eroded ruts covering it that never headed in the desired direction. It was all but unrideable and I for one didn't even try. I just shouldered my bike and sprinted down, down, down. The 300 yard mud bog prior to Moonrocks sometimes added twenty pounds to my XO-1, making this stretch even more brutal and treacherous

And the six river crossings? They were actually the highlight of the course, for they cleaned the gobs of mud and blood off of the bike, making it lighter and functional again. It got to the point where we couldn't wait to ford the icy waters, even if we did face plant occasionally. Heck, when else would we get our face clean, anyway?

That brings up the best part of the race, the four hour stints between rides. Some camped out in the mud, cleaning themselves and their bikes in the river. Some of us had the luxury of cruising back to a hotel, showering, putting on clean clothes, eating warm food, having our bikes cleaned, lubed, and tuned by Grant and Ernie from Bridgestone, then napping or watching Beavis and Butthead on MTV. What a life!

"I'm just paranoid the whole time I'm out there," said teammate John Stamstad at one point, summing up the common theme of the weekend. There's paranoia about crashing. Paranoia about getting lost. Paranoia about a major mechanical necessitating a long walk out. Paranoia about getting passed. Paranoia about losing the baton that needed to be handed off each lap. (You get to go back out and look for it!) Paranoia about all of the above happening to the teammate that's out riding while you're trying to relax and get ready for another 70 to 90 minute interval session. Paranoia? INSANE!

Oh yeah, about the race... The local heroes, Teams Black and White and Nukey Boys, edged us out for first and second. They're tough riders with the homecourt advantage of knowing the best lines, not to mention the alternate routes to avoid some of the more impassable sections, but they won fair and square. (Sure wish we'd known that there was a way to ride Moonrocks, though..) Still, we're happy with third, considering that we're composed of a crit racer, a roadie, an ultra marathon weenie, and a triathageek, and that we rode bikes (XO-1's with Moustache bars) that one magazine called "suitable only for riding to and from the trailhead, but not on the trail." To slightly modify Arny Schwarzenegger's famous line: "We'll be back, and so will our 'road bikes.'"
Old 02-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #15898
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Insane

Thanks for bringing back some really pleasant memories EDK....NOT!!!!

Saw grown men layin in the fetal position next to the trail crying like babies during that race. No motor to get you thru anything, just leg power. Remember 1 of my team mates refusing to go out for his last lap, so guess who pulled that short straw. Pulled the brakes off the bike to ride the last lap so I had enough tire clearance for all the mud.

Guess the radar was not telling the true story...it really looked ok down that way.

Hope everyone is home safe and sound, and job well done.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #15899
eyedragaknee
McGuyver

Hare scramble

The victory isn't in winning, it is in joining the race.

For everybody that sucked it up today. I had coffee and cookies and ironed my dress.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:34 PM   #15900
hotdog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
HS mud fest

three fourths the way thru the first lap i fell in a hole over my pegs and stayed there for the next hr ,till some guy felt sorry enuff for me to help pull it out . it made a loud sucking noise when it finaly gave up my back tire. i took it straight to the trailer mud mud and more mud deep ruts . oh yes it was fun .figured one of my buds woulda stoped to help next time round ...... never came.... they all beat me back to the truck! absolutely the worst track conditions ive ever ridden .
at least i got to see all my friends there were 27 entrants in the unltd sportsman class wonder how many got four laps? from now on ill take my tracks high and dry! lol the twisty trail? rode it a thousand times i didnt recognize it today. i got a few pics but wont let me post
1974 Water Buffalo
hotdog is offline   Reply With Quote