ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2012, 07:31 PM   #16636
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,355
Well, I've got some nice new radiator guards that arrived today. But it appears my radiators are so bent up already that they won't fit in the guards. I have the name of a contact that can purportedly straighten them out for $40, but I'm not sure if I can get that done before the race on Sunday. I'm going to try, though, and if I can, I plan on being there. I may just throw my old beat up radiators back on there and run them unprotected, then go buy some nice Fluidynes and exchange my guards to fit those instead of the stock ones. And they say houses are money pits.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #16637
ncTRAILBOSS
A52 TOUR GUIDE

Oddometer: 2,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakes View Post
Well, I've got some nice new radiator guards that arrived today. But it appears my radiators are so bent up already that they won't fit in the guards. I have the name of a contact that can purportedly straighten them out for $40, but I'm not sure if I can get that done before the race on Sunday. I'm going to try, though, and if I can, I plan on being there. I may just throw my old beat up radiators back on there and run them unprotected, then go buy some nice Fluidynes and exchange my guards to fit those instead of the stock ones. And they say houses are money pits.
Bent radiators cool much better.It takes the air longer to navigate through the kinked passage ways,which allows more time for the coolant to transfer heat to said air.

Good talking with ya today.
ncTRAILBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:41 AM   #16638
IT 400
Junk Collector

Oddometer: 1,570
Quote:
Well, I've got some nice new xxxxxxx xxxxxx that arrived today. But it appears my xxxxxxxxx are so bent up already that they won't fit in the guards. I have the name of a contact that can purportedly straighten them out for $40, but I'm not sure if I can get that done before the race on Sunday. I'm going to try, though, and if I can, I plan on being there. I may just throw my old beat up xxxxxxxxx back on there and run them unprotected, then go buy some nice Fluidynes and exchange my guards to fit those instead of the stock ones. And they say houses are money pits.
Hey "Brakes"...I just helped you out and saved you some money...I just deleted out the "unneccessary" stuff...
I may throw away a lot of money on motorcycle parts, but "radiators" is not one of them...
IT 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:59 AM   #16639
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncTRAILBOSS View Post
Are they doing that at Gary Bailey's place?Lake Sugar tree.
Nope...It's at the Lacey Farm. Supposed to be the best trials riding area that the club has access to.

Here's the link... http://www.cvotc.org/joomla/

Sorry EDK, but Axton only sits at 1000 Ft elevation. Gary asked if you were coming up with me.

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:45 AM   #16640
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT 400 View Post
Hey "Brakes"...I just helped you out and saved you some money...I just deleted out the "unneccessary" stuff...
I may throw away a lot of money on motorcycle parts, but "radiators" is not one of them...
Haha, they sure do seem like a pretty fragile component of an otherwise tough as nails machine. I reckon they are the modern bike's equivalent of the "family jewels". It only takes one unfortunately aimed flying object or awkward fall on something and you're out of business.

Note that when discussing this with you, I use the word "modern" rather loosely, it means anything approximately 1978 or newer. So as you say, sometimes simple is the way to go!

I'm dropping my radiators off this evening and hopefully picking them up tomorrow after work. Got my fingers crossed.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
Old 06-28-2012, 07:25 AM   #16641
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Quote:
Haha, they sure do seem like a pretty fragile component of an otherwise tough as nails machine. I reckon they are the modern bike's equivalent of the "family jewels". It only takes one unfortunately aimed flying object or awkward fall on something and you're out of business.

Note that when discussing this with you, I use the word "modern" rather loosely, it means anything approximately 1978 or newer. So as you say, sometimes simple is the way to go!

I'm dropping my radiators off this evening and hopefully picking them up tomorrow after work. Got my fingers crossed.
Post some before and after pics for us NB.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:11 AM   #16642
eyedragaknee
McGuyver

Oddometer: 2,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Wheeler View Post
Nope...It's at the Lacey Farm. Supposed to be the best trials riding area that the club has access to.

Here's the link... http://www.cvotc.org/joomla/

Sorry EDK, but Axton only sits at 1000 Ft elevation. Gary asked if you were coming up with me.
I may saddle up "Blackie" and head that way.
eyedragaknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:56 AM   #16643
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedragaknee View Post
I may saddle up "Blackie" and head that way.
You going to "bounce" a couple of trials sections on the little black bike?

Old 06-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #16644
IT 400
Junk Collector

Oddometer: 1,570
Quote:

I guess I'm riding a modern bike this weekend then, I'm gonna "throw" the 1981 IT175 in the fray Sunday
IT 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #16645
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Bent radiators cool much better.It takes the air longer to navigate through the kinked passage ways,which allows more time for the coolant to transfer heat to said air.

Good talking with ya today.
Yep, good talking with you, too. Keep me posted on the race. I wish I was closer, I'd pitch in and help out where I could.

My radiators are now at the shop, he said he'd be done tomorrow and I can pick them up, or if he is coming my way, we can meet and he will save me the trip. If anyone needs some work like this done, this is the place I went:

http://www.icwbikestands.com/

He came recommended by several folks. He is in Clayton.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
Old 06-28-2012, 07:02 PM   #16646
ncTRAILBOSS
A52 TOUR GUIDE

Igot the boys some proper arrows today.They marked the loop fairly well.Irode the thing late today.It was 6.3 miles and riding a pace that I could hold for 90 min. ,It took me 23 min. to get around.All of it is our old stuff.Uses the MX track,Almost done,Twisty Trail,Can't Explain It Trail,and the Pond Loop.
Now all they gotta do is figure out out to score it.I'll try to helpthe kids work that out.
Pretty fun loop,I thought.
It was kind of funny,but the boys put ribbon across the little short cuts in the woods.I told them all the leaders were gonna come trough scoring the first time laced in red ribbon.Should be a good time if all realize it's all for fun!
Old 06-28-2012, 07:26 PM   #16647
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Igot the boys some proper arrows today.They marked the loop fairly well.Irode the thing late today.It was 6.3 miles and riding a pace that I could hold for 90 min. ,It took me 23 min. to get around.All of it is our old stuff.Uses the MX track,Almost done,Twisty Trail,Can't Explain It Trail,and the Pond Loop.
Now all they gotta do is figure out out to score it.I'll try to helpthe kids work that out.
Pretty fun loop,I thought.
It was kind of funny,but the boys put ribbon across the little short cuts in the woods.I told them all the leaders were gonna come trough scoring the first time laced in red ribbon. Should be a good time if all realize it's all for fun!
If not for that, then what's the point?

I thorough enjoy these races. I generally suck at them, but that doesn't stop me from having fun!

Do you know how the scoring is going to be done? Transponders? Bar codes? Scorer furiously chiseling rider numbers on a stone tablet as they go by?

With a 23 minute loop for us old guys, I fear the fast guys will be coming around before the back rows even get launched, depending on how many rows they are going to have.

At any rate, it should be fun. I've never been to anyone's first time putting on a race before. I'm sure there will be some good times to be had.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
Old 06-28-2012, 07:49 PM   #16648
ncTRAILBOSS
A52 TOUR GUIDE

Quote:
If not for that, then what's the point?

I thorough enjoy these races. I generally suck at them, but that doesn't stop me from having fun!

Do you know how the scoring is going to be done? Transponders? Bar codes? Scorer furiously chiseling rider numbers on a stone tablet as they go by?

With a 23 minute loop for us old guys, I fear the fast guys will be coming around before the back rows even get launched, depending on how many rows they are going to have.

At any rate, it should be fun. I've never been to anyone's first time putting on a race before. I'm sure there will be some good times to be had.
Scoring is gonna be on the honor system.Everyone is required to wear a watch and jot down there own time as they come through...........Really, I have not talked about that with them yet.It will most likley be by hand.That poor kid over there has had a "LOAD" dumped on him,but he is holding up well.On top of the HS,there is a mud event for the trucks on Saturday.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #16649
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Radiator Makeover - Before and After

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Wheeler View Post
Post some before and after pics for us NB.
Before: What the before doesn't show is how twisted they are. When I tried to fit the radiator guards, which fit very tightly on the radiators, there was at least a 1.5 inch gap to where the screw hole needed to be, not to mention it was another inch or more out of alignment in the other direction, too. They still flowed air and cooled fine, but there was no way I was getting those guards on without beating them on with a hammer, and I decided that endeavor might be even more painful on my wallet.

After: Radiators straightened, welded in corner and cross braces for structural support, and all seams, inlets, and outlets welded for additional strength, durability, and the all important "Nobrakes resistant", they are even stamped as such "NR".

Nice and straight:

Corner bracing, and seam welding:

Cross member supports welded in place, I thought that was super cool:

And he even fitted the Bullet Proof Designs front and side guard for me on both radiators, all I have to do is bolt them back onto the bike and fill up the coolant. They should be extra durable now, and survive just about anything that could reasonably be expected even from me.

Here's the place that did it: http://www.icwbikestands.com/
I couldn't be happier.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F

nobrakes screwed with this post 06-29-2012 at 06:03 PM
Old 06-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #16650
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Moto Coffee Pot

Gotta have something to wash down the Little Debbie's.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F