ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #17221
voodoo614
Adventurer
 
voodoo614's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Cary NC
Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakes View Post
I recommend GDR in Wilkesboro. Great shop, know their stuff, that's where I take my stuff when it's more than I want to get into myself.

http://genuinedirtracer.com/
Thanks for the info.
__________________
2008 KTM Super Duke
2005 KTM 450 EXC
2003 DRZ 400 S/SM
voodoo614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:55 PM   #17222
Tarheel Wheeler
Around
 
Tarheel Wheeler's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: A53, NC
Oddometer: 3,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakes View Post
I recommend GDR in Wilkesboro. Great shop, know their stuff, that's where I take my stuff when it's more than I want to get into myself.

http://genuinedirtracer.com/
I second NB's recommendation. Wish I had known you were looking for a shop to work on you orange bike. I was up there yesterday and could have taken your bike up. They just finished some pretty serious work on my Katoom. Have them do you suspension while you're there. No one better with WP suspenders.
__________________
Adversity is the state in which man most easily becomes acquainted with himself, being especially free of admirers then. John Wooden

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:39 PM   #17223
voodoo614
Adventurer
 
voodoo614's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Cary NC
Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Wheeler View Post
I second NB's recommendation. Wish I had known you were looking for a shop to work on you orange bike. I was up there yesterday and could have taken your bike up. They just finished some pretty serious work on my Katoom. Have them do you suspension while you're there. No one better with WP suspenders.
Thanks. Just found the problem today. The repair is probably going to be expensive enough. Suspension can wait.
__________________
2008 KTM Super Duke
2005 KTM 450 EXC
2003 DRZ 400 S/SM
voodoo614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:42 PM   #17224
Tarheel Wheeler
Around
 
Tarheel Wheeler's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: A53, NC
Oddometer: 3,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo614 View Post
Thanks. Just found the problem today. The repair is probably going to be expensive enough. Suspension can wait.
Sorry to hear that. Tell them NB sent you. You mention my name and you'll get a real special deal...charged double.

I do have 1 guy locally that I'd recommend...well not really local. IT knows Stephen at Junior's place in Lumberton. Good kid that does good work, but still a distant second to the guys at GDR.
__________________
Adversity is the state in which man most easily becomes acquainted with himself, being especially free of admirers then. John Wooden

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #17225
voodoo614
Adventurer
 
voodoo614's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Cary NC
Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Wheeler View Post
Sorry to hear that. Tell them NB sent you. You mention my name and you'll get a real special deal...charged double.

I do have 1 guy locally that I'd recommend...well not really local. IT knows Stephen at Junior's place in Lumberton. Good kid that does good work, but still a distant second to the guys at GDR.
Only other guy I have been recomended is off ktm talk. He is in Washington state I think.
__________________
2008 KTM Super Duke
2005 KTM 450 EXC
2003 DRZ 400 S/SM
voodoo614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:08 PM   #17226
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer
 
nobrakes's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: North Carolina
Oddometer: 3,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo614 View Post
Thanks. Just found the problem today. The repair is probably going to be expensive enough. Suspension can wait.
GDR split the cases of one of my bikes to do a repair to the case itself, nothing to do with the internals, but it had to be taken all apart to do it right. I thought their hourly shop labor rate was very reasonable. And while they were in there, I had them replace any other serviceable bearings and stuff just because once you're in that far you may as well. They did a super job all around. And considering how out of my depth the work would have been for me to do, I considered it money well spent.

Good luck voodoo. Hope you can get it fixed up and back on the trail soon.
__________________
“It’s habits that make us, and habits that break us.”

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
'12 Beta EVO 2
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:14 PM   #17227
ifixfords
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ifixfords's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Fuquay Varina
Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakes View Post
GDR split the cases of one of my bikes to do a repair to the case itself, nothing to do with the internals, but it had to be taken all apart to do it right. I thought their hourly shop labor rate was very reasonable. And while they were in there, I had them replace any other serviceable bearings and stuff just because once you're in that far you may as well. They did a super job all around. And considering how out of my depth the work would have been for me to do, I considered it money well spent.

Good luck voodoo. Hope you can get it fixed up and back on the trail soon.
I've been riding it for almost a year with no problems (200 xcw I bought from NB). I'd say thay did excellent work. Good luck with it.

DRZ400E Tagged
KTM200XC-W ""
__________________
Real motorcycles have 21" front wheels!

2014 BMW F800GSA
2008 KTM200XC-W
2009 Beta EVO 250
ifixfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:27 PM   #17228
eyedragaknee
McGuyver
 
eyedragaknee's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Triangle
Oddometer: 2,319
Genuine Dirt Racing

GDR....Love those guys

Rode the devil bike for the second time today. So far the score is Lucifer 2...EDK-0

That sumbiatch is a handful. Thinking of adding some 45lb plates to the front of it.

Let Alan( Magellan) ride it in the middle of an open field. What could possibly go wrong?

Looked over and saw him chasing it, front tire in the air, rear fender dragging, running as fast as he could to keep from going through a fence.

LMAO
__________________
2008 KTM250-XCFW
2011 Gas Gas TXT250
1966 Honda 305 Scrambler

eyedragaknee screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 06:14 AM
eyedragaknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:18 PM   #17229
ncTRAILBOSS
A52 TOUR GUIDE
 
ncTRAILBOSS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Eatin' CHEETOS,Livin' Large!
Oddometer: 2,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedragaknee View Post
GDR....Love those guys

Rode the devil bike for the second time today. So far the score is Lucifer 2...EDK-0

That sumbiatch is a handful. Thinking of adding some 45lb plates to the front of it.

Let Alan( Magellan) ride it in the middle of an open field. What could possibly go wrong?

Looked over and saw him chasing it, front tire in the air, rear fender dragging, running as fast as he could to keep from going through a fence.

LMAO
You talking about the little ole trials bike,with a 30lb flywheel??
__________________
09 Tan Rocker-Recliner
75 Yamaha MX400b
05 Yamaha YZ 250
ncTRAILBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:54 AM   #17230
eyedragaknee
McGuyver
 
eyedragaknee's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Triangle
Oddometer: 2,319
30 lb flywheel

The one that weighs 140lbs, takes 2 guys standing on the kick starter to overcome the compression, leaps out of your hands with a snap of the throttle,looks like a unicycle most of the time riding on the back tire...?

Yep, that one.
__________________
2008 KTM250-XCFW
2011 Gas Gas TXT250
1966 Honda 305 Scrambler
eyedragaknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #17231
ncTRAILBOSS
A52 TOUR GUIDE
 
ncTRAILBOSS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Eatin' CHEETOS,Livin' Large!
Oddometer: 2,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedragaknee View Post
The one that weighs 140lbs, takes 2 guys standing on the kick starter to overcome the compression, leaps out of your hands with a snap of the throttle,looks like a unicycle most of the time riding on the back tire...?

Yep, that one.
That "snap" is what allows you to pounce from the driveway,to the hood of the Tundra,to the first floor roof.
__________________
09 Tan Rocker-Recliner
75 Yamaha MX400b
05 Yamaha YZ 250
ncTRAILBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #17232
ncTRAILBOSS
A52 TOUR GUIDE
 
ncTRAILBOSS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Eatin' CHEETOS,Livin' Large!
Oddometer: 2,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo614 View Post
Thanks. Just found the problem today. The repair is probably going to be expensive enough. Suspension can wait.
Damage report?
__________________
09 Tan Rocker-Recliner
75 Yamaha MX400b
05 Yamaha YZ 250
ncTRAILBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #17233
hscrugby
"That guy"
 
hscrugby's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Oddometer: 4,099
I'll be joining you guys on orange bikes tomorrow hopefully.
Just have to drive to Charlotte to get it.

Downside of having a real dirt bike instead of a dr650, I'll have to admit I have no skills and I can't blame the bike.

Anyone know somewhere cheap to get fat guy (280ish?) springs for an 08 450 xcf?
__________________
http://www.stbaldricks.org/participants/mypage/585928
Feel free to donate money either to my page, or their general fund.
hscrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #17234
voodoo614
Adventurer
 
voodoo614's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Cary NC
Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncTRAILBOSS View Post
Damage report?
Valve adjustment lock nut backed off. In the head/engine somewhere. Got sick with myself and stuck her in the corner for later tear down.
__________________
2008 KTM Super Duke
2005 KTM 450 EXC
2003 DRZ 400 S/SM
voodoo614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:19 PM   #17235
Tarheel Wheeler
Around
 
Tarheel Wheeler's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: A53, NC
Oddometer: 3,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by hscrugby View Post
I'll be joining you guys on orange bikes tomorrow hopefully.
Just have to drive to Charlotte to get it.

Downside of having a real dirt bike instead of a dr650, I'll have to admit I have no skills and I can't blame the bike.

Anyone know somewhere cheap to get fat guy (280ish?) springs for an 08 450 xcf?
Run the numbers with any on line spring rate calculator and then start searching for them on KTMTalk. If you can't find them there give Kal a call at FTI or Ben at GDR. They can hook ya up.
__________________
Adversity is the state in which man most easily becomes acquainted with himself, being especially free of admirers then. John Wooden

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014