ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 06:00 AM   #18046
moterbiker
Gypsy diver

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
He said that his bike kept going after the photog stopped shooting, and it went down the mountain. Took a wrecker with a 200' extension cable to get it back up.
I was wondering, it didn't look like it was stopping anytime soon

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=988511
moterbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #18047
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,213
Pay attention Luni and IceColdDan: More info on the crash below, including photos of where the bike landed. Bottom line, he said that with the Rumbux skid plate, it your pegs touch, your skid plate is touching, so don't drag pegs.

http://www.mikef5000.com/2013-ride-and-crash.html
Old 05-02-2013, 07:32 PM   #18048
Icecold Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
Yeah, I've been following along, scary stuff. I was glad to hear he was alright. It's certainly something I'll be aware of when I head to the mountains in a few weeks.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #18049
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,630
Vintage Nationals

Sorry guys. Meant to post up earlier in the week but forgot.

Post Vintage and Vintage Nationals are being held at Devil's Ridge this weekend. Post Vintage today...Vintage tomorrow.

I've been out there earlier, and am heading back out. Hope to see you guys there.

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:14 PM   #18050
NORBVR
Not so gnarly

Oddometer: 368
Talking Alone and aSkeered :)

So, after a huge absence from Area 52 I ventured out on this pretty fall (I mean spring) day. They've made a lot of nice changes to the place. What an awesome venue! However, I was now in what had become a strange place and without the benefit of friends to guide me. None around that know just how bad I suck at riding and getting stuck. When I paid the guy to get in he said: "you aren't gonna ride THAT out here, are ya?"

I had ta run what I brung. A few folks wandered over to chat and ask about the bike, mention how stupid it seemed to ride that out here. Yep, I'm alone and nobody knows me

He shall lead me out unto verdant pastures:

I started out on the old ways, they ways of my past. I could see the remains of old friends and foils from past years: Puke trail, almost done trail, no name. But they seemed different, they were crossed with new, modern trails. Some weed grown and neglected. Heavy traffic of real riders on real bikes (and some big ass quad thingies) slowed to gawk at me putzing along and bouncing from rut to rut; I was the lost uncle that was supposed to be left at home and not taken out in public. It took almost seven miles for me to find my way back to the trailer and a rest

I started down the trail that had so badly whooped me on the TW - but stayed outta that freakin hole this time and soon found a loop that started off down the side of the old drag strip, loop back around and in front of the parking area across some round kinda track and into the woods.

It was wonderful!

I thought about all the fun I'd had riding out here, the food and friendship. The kindness of strangers and friends when I got stuck. The cool rides I saw and even cooler people that rode them. And best of all, nobody cared that I sucked - it was enough to enjoy riding.

And then, like always, I fell over The tires are as hard and shiney as waxed solid rubber from a model T The throttle cable and front brake cable became as one. If it wasn't a drum brake I might have done some impressive stoppies Without near the tool carrying capacity of the Ural, I limped back to the trailer and loaded the bike for the trip home. I then watched the real riders clearing the table tops and running circles around each other. I don't think any of them enjoyed riding as much as I did today, but they darn sure did it better
Old 05-04-2013, 06:32 PM   #18051
truck6driver
The Fireman

Oddometer: 7,056
Well after 2 years I ventured off road out on the TTR today. I found out that I really need to relearn how to ride in the dirt. I was very uneasy and nervous everytime the rear would kick out or the front would want to wash.
Honestly I did not enjoy the ride. I was holding the handle bars too tight and didn't take long for my carple tunnel syndrome to make my wrist and hands hurt.

Ray
truck6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:29 AM   #18052
eyedragaknee
McGuyver

Oddometer: 2,317
Laugh A52

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORBVR View Post
So, after a huge absence from Area 52 I ventured out on this pretty fall (I mean spring) day. They've made a lot of nice changes to the place. What an awesome venue! However, I was now in what had become a strange place and without the benefit of friends to guide me. None around that know just how bad I suck at riding and getting stuck. When I paid the guy to get in he said: "you aren't gonna ride THAT out here, are ya?"

I had ta run what I brung. A few folks wandered over to chat and ask about the bike, mention how stupid it seemed to ride that out here. Yep, I'm alone and nobody knows me

He shall lead me out unto verdant pastures:

I started out on the old ways, they ways of my past. I could see the remains of old friends and foils from past years: Puke trail, almost done trail, no name. But they seemed different, they were crossed with new, modern trails. Some weed grown and neglected. Heavy traffic of real riders on real bikes (and some big ass quad thingies) slowed to gawk at me putzing along and bouncing from rut to rut; I was the lost uncle that was supposed to be left at home and not taken out in public. It took almost seven miles for me to find my way back to the trailer and a rest

I started down the trail that had so badly whooped me on the TW - but stayed outta that freakin hole this time and soon found a loop that started off down the side of the old drag strip, loop back around and in front of the parking area across some round kinda track and into the woods.

It was wonderful!

I thought about all the fun I'd had riding out here, the food and friendship. The kindness of strangers and friends when I got stuck. The cool rides I saw and even cooler people that rode them. And best of all, nobody cared that I sucked - it was enough to enjoy riding.

And then, like always, I fell over The tires are as hard and shiney as waxed solid rubber from a model T The throttle cable and front brake cable became as one. If it wasn't a drum brake I might have done some impressive stoppies Without near the tool carrying capacity of the Ural, I limped back to the trailer and loaded the bike for the trip home. I then watched the real riders clearing the table tops and running circles around each other. I don't think any of them enjoyed riding as much as I did today, but they darn sure did it better
When are you going back? I want to be there!
eyedragaknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:17 AM   #18053
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

NORBVR, I love that Enfield! Run what you brung!
Old 05-05-2013, 07:18 AM   #18054
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Dang, I got so distracted by the Enfield that I forgot was I came to post.

Anybody have any experience with a 1980 Kawasaki KE 175 2-stroke? I just got an interesting offer on one that is if really good condition, but admittedly know nothing about them.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #18055
NORBVR
Not so gnarly

Cool2 Lessons I learned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedragaknee View Post
When are you going back? I want to be there!
I'm going on call for the next couple weeks, memorial day we hope to see our son and DIL in Va. It'll be June any way. Time to recover

Every time I would high five myself for remembering the shifter was on the right side, I'd blow it by moving the lever the wrong way My talc wish came true as I see I had blown the filter nozzle off during the ride yesterday. No wonder the smoke decreased and the compression improved!

I have to do something to get the foot pegs out of their self draining position. Might have to blob some weld onto the back sides. I see the decompression valve is leaking some oil. I'm thinking I might just leave that as self testament to the proper operation of the oiling system. Keep the iron barrel rust free

All in all just a fun bike to ride!
Old 05-05-2013, 01:16 PM   #18056
truck6driver
The Fireman

Oddometer: 7,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Anybody have any experience with a 1980 Kawasaki KE 175 2-stroke? I just got an interesting offer on one that is if really good condition, but admittedly know nothing about them.
You mean this one?

http://fayetteville.craigslist.org/mcy/3769659212.html

I do not have first hand knowledge but have been told they are tough bikes and easy to work on.

Trailboss might have some past experience with them.

Ray
truck6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #18057
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck6driver View Post
You mean this one?

http://fayetteville.craigslist.org/mcy/3769659212.html

I do not have first hand knowledge but have been told they are tough bikes and easy to work on.

Trailboss might have some past experience with them.

Ray
Yup. That would be it. It isn't exactly what I had in mind, but I am intrigued by it.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #18058
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,630
Peter, Great to see you got the big E running. Sweet pics...bet they ain't seen nothing like that rollin around OB. Classic stuff. U are da man!

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #18059
IT 400
Junk Collector

Oddometer: 1,570
Every time I would high five myself for remembering the shifter was on the right side

All in all just a fun bike to ride![/QUOTE]

Yer tryin to ride a "dirttracker" in the woods! That's the problem
IT 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:46 AM   #18060
NORBVR
Not so gnarly

Question A bumper on my shoe

Yer tryin to ride a "dirttracker" in the woods! That's the problem

I could set a new record in Flattrack - most times lapped in one heat!