ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 05:38 AM   #18091
Dirigo
Curious

Oddometer: 318
Guess we could try the old Mad Max trick with the bomb under the rear fender. At least then you'd have the satisfaction of a small mushroom cloud..

But sheesh, how did someone move a bike as heavy as a Harley (even with a skate board) from in front of an apartment building without anyone taking notice? No cameras?

Dirigo screwed with this post 05-10-2013 at 05:39 AM Reason: fatfingered the spelling..
Dirigo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:10 AM   #18092
moterbiker
Gypsy diver

Oddometer: 1,475
Easier than you might think, a buddy saw some guys down in Daytona from a distance, 4 big guys pull up in a van, 2 guys each stick a pole through each wheel, lift it up, toss it in the van and drive away. Less than 2 minutes

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=988511
moterbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:35 AM   #18093
Dirigo
Curious

Oddometer: 318
Pretty tricky buggers.. I remember watching a tv show that had some convicted thief showing people how easy it is to steal stuff. He ranged from cars to shoplifting. One segment covered motorcycles. One place he would never go was into someone's garage. Too many variables there, dogs, folks with guns and maybe even one of those chicks from the BSC Ex-wives thread in JM. Maybe the key is to have a bike so ugly and dirty nobody wants to steal it?
Old 05-10-2013, 08:07 AM   #18094
moterbiker
Gypsy diver

Oddometer: 1,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirigo View Post
Pretty tricky buggers.. I remember watching a tv show that had some convicted thief showing people how easy it is to steal stuff. He ranged from cars to shoplifting. One segment covered motorcycles. One place he would never go was into someone's garage. Too many variables there, dogs, folks with guns and maybe even one of those chicks from the BSC Ex-wives thread in JM. Maybe the key is to have a bike so ugly and dirty nobody wants to steal it?
Or a BMW, nobody I ever rode with ever even took their keys with them

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=988511
moterbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #18095
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,656
This is a really long thread, but it has some great info from a former bike thief.

Harley's and sport bikes have always been the prime target because that is where the resale market is.

http://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/..._operator_ama/
Old 05-13-2013, 07:00 PM   #18096
Alanjdoc
In it for FUN

Oddometer: 61
Dual Sport Help

I have just about talked myself into going the DS route. Needing to slow down the hardcore off road abuse. I'm really liking the idea of the KTM 690 Enduro just not a lot of those out there have never seen one in person or talked with a owner of one! Anyone here own one of have any insight? People I am in contact with ride or say KLR 650 is the way to go I just don't believe that's the bike for me don't get me wrong i think it's a great bike but I've had many many miles on orange and kinda want to stick there!
Alanjdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:40 AM   #18097
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Don't write off the Husqvarna TR650 Terra. It is gobs more fun than the DR650 and KLR650, and priced in the same range. Dynojet just did a side-by-side of the Husky compared to its competition, and the numbers were pretty astounding. It actually outperformed the KTM through most of the useable RPM range. Albeit, the KTM is significantly lighter.

I rode the KTM a few times. I really liked it. However, I didn't like the price tag, or the comfort level. If I were spending 80% of my time in the dirt, then I'd have bought it. I was looking for something more 50/50 street/dirt, and the Husky just smoked the competition in that metric.

I think Tarheel Wheeler has a KTM 690? He can probably chime in and offer more informaiton.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:07 AM   #18098
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanjdoc View Post
I have just about talked myself into going the DS route. Needing to slow down the hardcore off road abuse. I'm really liking the idea of the KTM 690 Enduro just not a lot of those out there have never seen one in person or talked with a owner of one! Anyone here own one of have any insight? People I am in contact with ride or say KLR 650 is the way to go I just don't believe that's the bike for me don't get me wrong i think it's a great bike but I've had many many miles on orange and kinda want to stick there!
Had is the better word RD. I went the other way with my off road riding pleasure...450 with plates.

Great bike that's much more capable than the KLR. Great HP to weight ratio, but they do have some issues. Most of those issues have been well documented on ADV Rider. What I didn't like...Rear fuel tank filler limits tail bag and rack options imho, and large capacity tank options are pricey. Fuel injection is sub-par compared to what we've come to expect on a modern day KTM or Husaberg. Stock seat is a torture device.

Stay away from 2008 models, and look for a late model "R" bike with the longer suspension if you can find one. I've ridden a ton of 600cc+ ranged DS's and the KTM 690 is #1 in my book.

Another option if you want an extremely dirt worthy large bore thumper DS is the Husaberg 570. Better EFI, better weight, single track worthy, but service intervals are shorter.

Pm me with a # if you want to discuss further.

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:12 AM   #18099
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Armenia Dual Sport

Some of us are thinking about doing the Armenia Dual Sport this Sunday (19 May) in Chester, SC. Talked to Marvin, and he said he'd squeeze any of the A51,52 and 53 gang in if we'd give him a head count by Friday.

Check it out on the Carolina Dual Sport website.

Hit me up if you're interested.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #18100
Icecold Dan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
Is the Husaberg 570 still available?
Old 05-14-2013, 10:26 AM   #18101
Alanjdoc
In it for FUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Don't write off the Husqvarna TR650 Terra. It is gobs more fun than the DR650 and KLR650, and priced in the same range. Dynojet just did a side-by-side of the Husky compared to its competition, and the numbers were pretty astounding. It actually outperformed the KTM through most of the useable RPM range. Albeit, the KTM is significantly lighter.

I rode the KTM a few times. I really liked it. However, I didn't like the price tag, or the comfort level. If I were spending 80% of my time in the dirt, then I'd have bought it. I was looking for something more 50/50 street/dirt, and the Husky just smoked the competition in that metric.

I think Tarheel Wheeler has a KTM 690? He can probably chime in and offer more informaiton.
Thanks for the info on the Husky did not know about this bike! Going to look into this one deeper! Who sales these how long have you had the Husky? And price online looks great! Just need to find on local
Old 05-14-2013, 11:09 AM   #18102
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Quote:
Thanks for the info on the Husky did not know about this bike! Going to look into this one deeper! Who sales these how long have you had the Husky? And price online looks great! Just need to find on local
You aren't going to find one very local. Capitol BMW in Raleigh is a Husky dealer, that's as close as you're going to get.

I got mine in March from Eurosport in Asheville. It was a great experience, and well worth the drive. Hell, there were four dealers much closer than Asheville, and I still made the drive over there. They know their stuff, and they know how to setup a bike right.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:39 AM   #18103
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Quote:
No comments on my exhaustive info ref KTM 690 Alanjdoc...I'm hurt. You know how long it took me to type that post with 2 fingers.

Ref 570...you can get a great deal on used HSB 570s these days.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:51 PM   #18104
Alanjdoc
In it for FUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Wheeler View Post
No comments on my exhaustive info ref KTM 690 Alanjdoc...I'm hurt. You know how long it took me to type that post with 2 fingers.

Ref 570...you can get a great deal on used HSB 570s these days.
Hey no calm down check your PM! Don't be hurt you have a private reply!!
Old 05-14-2013, 05:52 PM   #18105
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Quote:
Hey no calm down check your PM! Don't be hurt you have a private reply!!
No pm.

Armenia news. Looks like we're making other plans for riding this Sunday.