ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2014, 01:42 PM   #19186
luni
A51 Tour Guide
 
luni's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Hoke County
Oddometer: 1,061
Post #1000! I was holding off for something worthwhile, like a tag grab or a decent ride with pictures. But something happened while I was running errands today and it's confession time. The Tenere went down on the pavement for the first time just shy of 13,000 miles.

I wish I could tell you I was death defyingly dodging two exploding fuel trucks while they spiraled through the air after Bruce Willis shot them from an Apache attack helicopter while chasing down an international super terrorist in a hovercraft. But that just wasn't the case.

It was in a parking lot. In a parking space. At a complete stop. In front of a Starbucks. With an audience. And it was my fault. I was standing up on the pegs to see over cars and roll over speed bumps and my pant leg slipped over the frame/driveshaft joint guard. I stopped and couldn't get my foot down. Game over.

I scuffed the engine guard and bent the little kickstand alien antenna helper nubbin up. I was able to bang the nubbin back into shape with a hammer. But no matter many times I hit myself with the hammer I couldn't bang the dent out of my pride. That completes the trifecta.

I have a large CC dual sport farkled with knobbies and dirt gear that I don't take offroad, I have a whale foreskin spaceman suit, and I've crashed my bike in front of a Starbucks. Ladies and gentlemen, my name is Adam and I'm an ADV poser.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by true grip View Post
I got a feeling the KTM would be like a hot girlfriend so fun to be with just not trust worthy.
luni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:45 PM   #19187
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome
 
RidingDonkeys's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Southern Pines, North Carolina, USA
Oddometer: 7,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by luni View Post

I have a large CC dual sport farkled with knobbies and dirt gear that I don't take offroad, I have a whale foreskin spaceman suit, and I've crashed my bike in front of a Starbucks. Ladies and gentlemen, my name is Adam and I'm an ADV poser.

We'll forgive you, but you must come to Nottarally first. I would say RDV, but it doesn't look like I'll be making that one.
__________________
Sit Stay Ride: The Story of America's Sidecar Dogs
More info at www.sidecardogs.com

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:49 PM   #19188
Mtbcoach
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Mtbcoach's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Cary NC
Oddometer: 181
Luni - just described my nightmare. Well played, don't know if I'd have the guts to share...
__________________
'14 R1200GSA
'94 KX 250
'97 Toyota FZJ80
'77 Toyota FJ45
Mtbcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:02 PM   #19189
NORBVR
Not so gnarly
 
NORBVR's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: on a border
Oddometer: 387
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by luni View Post
.
It was in a parking lot. In a parking space. At a complete stop. In front of a Starbucks. With an audience. And it was my fault. I was standing up on the pegs to see over cars and roll over speed bumps and my pant leg slipped over the frame/driveshaft joint guard. I stopped and couldn't get my foot down. Game over.

.

My C10 fell over in front of a doughnut shop. With me on it.



Peter
__________________
Even slower in person
NORBVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:08 PM   #19190
luni
A51 Tour Guide
 
luni's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Hoke County
Oddometer: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
We'll forgive you, but you must come to Nottarally first. I would say RDV, but it doesn't look like I'll be making that one.
Is the Nottarally thread up yet? I've been letting the pup keep me from going on to many weekend trips but now that I've got a NC expiration date I'm trying to get out a little more. I saw the thread for Rick's but I've never been to a rally so I don't keep track of them. Hell I can barely make it to lunch. Rick's is out. I'm flying to Seattle that weekend for a wedding I'm not going to.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by true grip View Post
I got a feeling the KTM would be like a hot girlfriend so fun to be with just not trust worthy.
luni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:22 PM   #19191
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome
 
RidingDonkeys's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Southern Pines, North Carolina, USA
Oddometer: 7,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by luni View Post
Is the Nottarally thread up yet? I've been letting the pup keep me from going on to many weekend trips but now that I've got a NC expiration date I'm trying to get out a little more. I saw the thread for Rick's but I've never been to a rally so I don't keep track of them. Hell I can barely make it to lunch. Rick's is out. I'm flying to Seattle that weekend for a wedding I'm not going to.
Yep....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=957095


Now what's this crap about an expiration date? I thought you were staying forever....

--------
Sit Stay Ride: The Story of America's Sidecar Dogs
Watch the trailer, spread the word:
www.sidecardogs.com
__________________
Sit Stay Ride: The Story of America's Sidecar Dogs
More info at www.sidecardogs.com

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:35 PM   #19192
luni
A51 Tour Guide
 
luni's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Hoke County
Oddometer: 1,061
That was the original plan but the Army won't let me. And a pretty lady up in DC told me I'm moving in with her once I get out. But I'm also in a Paramedic class that runs into December so I'll be in NC for the rest of 2014. There's more to the story but you'll have to come to Mac's during lunch to hear it. Shoot me your # and we'll try to get an actual local lunch thing going.

Ray if I'm remembering right you're at the station literally right around the corner? I saw the station number and made the connection without burning up to many brain cells.

Nottarally is the weekend before my anniversary. Looks like I'll be spending back to back weekends in the mountains. Oh no...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by true grip View Post
I got a feeling the KTM would be like a hot girlfriend so fun to be with just not trust worthy.
luni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:14 PM   #19193
IT 400
Junk Collector
 
IT 400's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: The DOG HOUSE
Oddometer: 1,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by luni View Post
Post #1000! I was holding off for something worthwhile, like a tag grab or a decent ride with pictures. But something happened while I was running errands today and it's confession time. The Tenere went down on the pavement for the first time just shy of 13,000 miles.

I wish I could tell you I was death defyingly dodging two exploding fuel trucks while they spiraled through the air after Bruce Willis shot them from an Apache attack helicopter while chasing down an international super terrorist in a hovercraft. But that just wasn't the case.

It was in a parking lot. In a parking space. At a complete stop. In front of a Starbucks. With an audience. And it was my fault. I was standing up on the pegs to see over cars and roll over speed bumps and my pant leg slipped over the frame/driveshaft joint guard. I stopped and couldn't get my foot down. Game over.

I scuffed the engine guard and bent the little kickstand alien antenna helper nubbin up. I was able to bang the nubbin back into shape with a hammer. But no matter many times I hit myself with the hammer I couldn't bang the dent out of my pride. That completes the trifecta.

I have a large CC dual sport farkled with knobbies and dirt gear that I don't take offroad, I have a whale foreskin spaceman suit, and I've crashed my bike in front of a Starbucks. Ladies and gentlemen, my name is Adam and I'm an ADV poser.
Yeah, the whole "in front of Starbucks" thing is pretty embarrassing...
IT 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:51 PM   #19194
Chad_NC OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Chad_NC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Lillington, NC
Oddometer: 3,758
Luni shoot me a text or PM. Maybe I can meet y'all for lunch at Macs. Glad the biggest thing hurt was your pride.


You got this via Crapatalk - now Free
__________________
Chad
09 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
09 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Chad_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:25 PM   #19195
KTRMN8R
Sand Camel
 
KTRMN8R's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Sandhills, NC
Oddometer: 1,213
Laugh Hi!

God Bless fellas & safe travels.
__________________

God Bless & Godspeed!
KTRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:33 AM   #19196
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome
 
RidingDonkeys's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Southern Pines, North Carolina, USA
Oddometer: 7,869
So, I now have a story embarrassing enough to compete with Luni. My birthday present was a slot in the Ryan Young trials clinic out at TW's place. I was pretty darn excited. I've been wanting to ride a motorcycle without a seat for a while. I only made it to lunchtime on the first day.

So before we got started, a few people were riding around and getting used to their bikes, most of which were rentals. These things are QUICK, and they take some getting used to. Well, I swung a leg over my rental, kicked it a few times, and got nowhere. I reach down to find the choke on the right side, and the next thing I knew I was laid out on the ground and tangled up between two bikes.

Another rider lost control of bike and plowed into me. I took the initial impact on my left hip and thigh, and then somehow my leg got pinned from the knee down. The standers-by helped get me out quickly, and I shook it off. I had a blast with the first part of instruction, loved the bikes, but I was quickly losing strength in my leg. By lunchtime I could feel some serious swelling in my hip. I called it a day while I could still walk.

I got home, iced and ibuprofened it, and it just kept getting worse. I had a hole in it, but that wasn't bleeding anymore so I was worried about it. But in a couple hours it was bigger than a softball and I couldn't move my upper leg at all. Melissa convinced me to go to the ER on base, and after 6 hours and a whole bunch of x-rays, they were happy to say that nothing was broken. I've broken that hip before, and they seemed convinced that I had done it again. The muscle didn't fair so well though. I'm on crutches for a bit, and my leg is purple. But this isn't the embarrassing part.

In the Army, every time a Soldier gets injured, it requires a Serious Incident Report, and in the cases of accidents, an Abbreviated Ground Accident Report. Bottom line, it has to be reported up the chain. So I have literally spent the last three days explaining to people that I didn't crash, but I was hit BY a motorcycle. At this point, I don't think there is a joke I haven't heard....

"You didn't look before you crossed the street?"

"It happened off-road? You couldn't have just moved out of the way?"

"Wait, that bike is smaller than a BMX. Please explain how you couldn't get out of the way."

"You hurt your hip again? Can I just throw a Triumph logo on a walker, because that's the only thing you need to be riding..."

And the jokes go on, and on, and on, and on...
__________________
Sit Stay Ride: The Story of America's Sidecar Dogs
More info at www.sidecardogs.com

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.

RidingDonkeys screwed with this post 04-15-2014 at 05:08 PM
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:31 AM   #19197
Tarheel Wheeler
Around
 
Tarheel Wheeler's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: A53, NC
Oddometer: 3,635
RD, Feel terrible about your and Joe's misadventures. You're right...things are and happen very quick with Trials bikes.

If it makes you feel better, I saw 2 snapped off rear fenders, a twisted knee, a hyper extended wrist, and dispensed over 3600 mg of Motrin.

I know you wouldn't take any refund money so both Joe and I made $100 donations to Wounded Warriors.

Also, wish I had known that Mrs. Donkeys wanted to take your spot on Sunday. Maybe she could have at least cranked the bike before crashing.

Please don't let another rider's inability keep you from riding /trying Trials again.
__________________
Adversity is the state in which man most easily becomes acquainted with himself, being especially free of admirers then. John Wooden

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:56 AM   #19198
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome
 
RidingDonkeys's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Southern Pines, North Carolina, USA
Oddometer: 7,869
I'll be back, that's for sure. I really enjoyed what I did get to do. MrsDonkeys was a bit concerned about jumping in late without day one training, and I think she got up there about the time things were already getting started anyway. I was drugged up and don't even recall her leaving. Me and percocet do not get along well, despite what the doc says.

--------
Sit Stay Ride: The Story of America's Sidecar Dogs
Watch the trailer, spread the word:
www.sidecardogs.com
__________________
Sit Stay Ride: The Story of America's Sidecar Dogs
More info at www.sidecardogs.com

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:11 PM   #19199
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome
 
RidingDonkeys's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Southern Pines, North Carolina, USA
Oddometer: 7,869
Alright folks, the Eastern ADV Dinner thread is kicking again.

Next meetup:

April 26th at 1400hrs
Pik-n-Pig
194 Gilliam McConnell Rd
Carthage, NC 28327

RSVP here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...49043&page=290
__________________
Sit Stay Ride: The Story of America's Sidecar Dogs
More info at www.sidecardogs.com

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:07 AM   #19200
IT 400
Junk Collector
 
IT 400's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: The DOG HOUSE
Oddometer: 1,577
SPRING BREAK!!!!!
Got a week off! Got a ton of stuff to do a Tar Heel Speedway to get ready for a busy May! May 3rd&4th is a RIDE Academy short track/TT school. May 10th is SEMDTRA @ Coleridge, May 17th&18th is AMA Vintage National short track and TT and May 31st is SEMDTRA @ Tar Heel.

We're painting, mowing grass, wrangling snakes (?), repairing stuff and riding motorcycles as much as possible! We are located at the intersection on NC Hwy 20 and 87, look for the sign by the driveway to Richardson's Daycare, pull through the driveway and look for the gate against the woods. I may paint the gate yellow this week so it's easier to see from the road. If you're out riding around, stop in.
IT 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014